One For The Road

“Finally, through his contacts in Belgian football Kompany has assembled a group of young, technically capable footballers who dominated the second tier and are itching to impress in the Premier League and shock those who are still breathing the fumes of Dyche-era Burnley. We’re getting distinct Thomas Frank-Scandiavia-Brentford vibes here“

From August 🤣🤣🤣🤣

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/burnley-predictions-2023-24-premier-league-vincent-kompany-experience-2529888

• Haha 1

Their summer transfer strategy is looking very reckless at this point. Kinda doing Chelsea on a budget: Buying a bunch of young players with potential (& hopefully high sell-on value) and hoping they all hit the ground running. I wonder if their fans are pining for safety-first football again yet. 

I don't think the mental strength of these players gets taken into account enough in these transfer strategies. If you have a team of predominantly young players with no experience of playing in the Premier League then they are going to go into a collective slump when results go against them. Not enough experienced heads in the mix to balance out the youthful potential. 

29 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Would be good to carry on with their ground breaking  documentary this year. I mean we all want to learn from that baseball cap wonder and how he got burnley playing football without the ball leaving the ground

Are we talking about Tony Pulis here 😝

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I don't think the mental strength of these players gets taken into account enough in these transfer strategies. If you have a team of predominantly young players with no experience of playing in the Premier League then they are going to go into a collective slump when results go against them. Not enough experienced heads in the mix to balance out the youthful potential. 

Exactly, they should have gotten two or three Ashley young-type of player instead of another high potential from Belgium.

Burnley just released a statement saying that Lyle foster has reached out to ask for help with his mental health. Now I know the team is terrible anyway and almost a cert to get relegated, but he’s missed the past 3 squads and now will miss the weekends game. They are gonna have to get reinforcements in January. Think he just signed a new contract recently too which isn’t ideal for the main striker. Good luck to him but I think the club is doomed anyway. It would be more galling for the fans if Burnley were in with a fighting chance of staying up 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Burnley just released a statement saying that Lyle foster has reached out to ask for help with his mental health. Now I know the team is terrible anyway and almost a cert to get relegated, but he’s missed the past 3 squads and now will miss the weekends game. They are gonna have to get reinforcements in January. Think he just signed a new contract recently too which isn’t ideal for the main striker. Good luck to him but I think the club is doomed anyway. It would be more galling for the fans if Burnley were in with a fighting chance of staying up 

Hope he gets the support he needs 

• Like 2

On 04/11/2023 at 17:36, oishiiniku_uk said:

Their summer transfer strategy is looking very reckless at this point. Kinda doing Chelsea on a budget: Buying a bunch of young players with potential (& hopefully high sell-on value) and hoping they all hit the ground running. I wonder if their fans are pining for safety-first football again yet. 

But their strategy is to maintain their place as one of the best Championship teams and to hopefully be able to sell on young players to teams in the top half of the premier league for a big profit. They know they aren't a premier league team. Sure they can shit house a few seasons playing dyche ball but that's not a long term strategy. All of their summer signings were with a view to being relegated this season. If they go down they will be stable and not have to engage in a mad sell off.  Aaron Ramsey is a case in point, they aren't pinning their hopes on him keeping them up. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

But their strategy is to maintain their place as one of the best Championship teams and to hopefully be able to sell on young players to teams in the top half of the premier league for a big profit. They know they aren't a premier league team. Sure they can shit house a few seasons playing dyche ball but that's not a long term strategy. All of their summer signings were with a view to being relegated this season. If they go down they will be stable and not have to engage in a mad sell off.  Aaron Ramsey is a case in point, they aren't pinning their hopes on him keeping them up. 

They either gamble their entire future spending a fortune trying to stay up or they accept they'll likely go down and build for it with a view to come back up again on better footing.

Find it odd how before the start of the season they almost weren't even in the relegation picture for a lot of pundits (coz Kompany) and now we're 11 games in and they've been awful and look near certain to go down and unlike Sheffield United, they're just barely getting mentioned? Just goes to show what manager PR can do.

That people thought they had a good chance of staying up isn't really surprising, they were promoted with 101 points, that's more points than Wolves got when they were promoted, a team widely considered one of the best if not the best to win promotion in recent history, also more points than Bielsa got with Leeds, or Benitez with Newcastle, in fact the only Championship to team to get more points in the last ten years was the Leicester team, that won the Premier League two years later, they also did it whilst playing good attacking football.

In addition to that they also spent one hundred million plus, whilst only raising around four million in player sales, so they're nothing like Norwich in that regard, their biggest problem transfer wise was probably that they lost two of their best players from Championship season, Nathan Tella and Ian Maatsen, but didn't get any money for them as only on loan, also not sure why they didn't bring back Taylor Harwood-Bellis, they haven't been helped by injuries either.

And they had a really difficult start, Manchester City, Aston Villa, Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Luton Town, and Chelsea, were their first seven games, so no surprise they got off to a bad start; they since lost their so called easier games, but I think a lot of that's to do with momentum, once they lost those initial games would have been hard to get going again, I bet if they'd have played the likes of Bournemouth, Palace, and Brentford at the start of the season they would have done better as wouldn't be going into those games on the back of confidence sapping losing streak against some of the divisions better teams.

I wouldn't be overly surprised to see them stay up, they're probably the team down their most likely to spend again January,  and it's not as if they're dead and buried now, or as if the teams around them look as if they will fly up the table anytime soon, could be any three from the bottom four, a few bad results and another team could get dragged into it.

Cannot see them staying up as they made the same mistake Southampton did by buying for potential and with zero experience in the Prem.  Good players but look at how Chelsea have been doing and that is with buying some of the very best talent on the planet. Its only Brighton who seem to be able to find the players that can adapt quickly. 

Kompany from what i can see will not compromise his philosophy either which means that hebis trying to play possession football against better managers and better footballers . 

People do this at this stage every single season, write teams off as already relegated or declare that there's no way such and such team will be relegated, and then most seasons by it's end a lot changes

Burnley might well be relegated, but would hardly be the biggest surprise if they managed to finish above Sheffield United, Luton, and Bournemouth.

I think the idea that they only signed inexperienced players is a bit of a myth as well, they signed a couple of teenagers from abroad that were probably more U21 signings, and then Aaron Ramsey and James Trafford, but that's different from what Southampton did, the young players that Southampton signed  hadn't even played any first team football, them bringing in academy players was more of a last season thing, and worked out well for them, but those players returned to their parent clubs in the summer - they probably would be better off if they had have re-signed them.

Â