One For The Road

2 hours ago, villan95 said:

Seem like a completely different club, making signings from across Europe. 

They needed a complete change of philosophy. They had hit their ceiling under dyche and were only going one way. 

• Like 1

I think Kompany is the real deal and i think they will stick with him no matter what. They will finish above the other two promoted sides and I think they will finish above Everton too

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think Kompany is the real deal and i think they will stick with him no matter what. They will finish above the other two promoted sides and I think they will finish above Everton too

He isnt, he was poor at Anderlecht. Probably another Gerrardesque manager

39 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Be interesting to see if Komapny’s “pep ball” translates to the PL on a Championship budget. Can see them struggling, and him getting sacked.

I have them struggling and going down with ease and Kompany gone by Christmas. Luton and Sheffield United have a least a little bit of grit about them, dont see with Burnley

Have spent 60 million already this summer

Edited by Zatman

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

I have them struggling and going down with ease and Kompany gone by Christmas. Luton and Sheffield United have a least a little bit of grit about them, dont see with Burnley

Have spent 60 million already this summer

No chance if they have spent 60 million they mean business. They walked the championship with over 100 points. It's a huge step up I know but they will be miles ahead of Luton in the table.

Edited by PaulC

17 minutes ago, PaulC said:

No chance if they have spent 60 million they mean business. They walked the championship with over 100 points. It's a huge step up I know but they will be miles ahead of Luton in the table.

Means nothing, how much have Leeds, Everton even ourselves spend and we were in trouble

Norwich finished miles above Brentford yet Brentford physical style helped get them 25 points more. Luton are no Brentford but Burnley are a Norwich

28 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Who have they signed? A few lower league players and some unknowns from Europe.

Luton might grind out some points from draws and narrow wins. Burnley will get slaughtered if they try to play Pep style football with Championship players.

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Means nothing, how much have Leeds, Everton even ourselves spend and we were in trouble

Norwich finished miles above Brentford yet Brentford physical style helped get them 25 points more. Luton are no Brentford but Burnley are a Norwich

Yes I know it means nothing unless you spend well. Burnley have a tough start to the season.  Gerrard I agree was found wanting at this level but Kompany I think is a much better manager.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Who have they signed? A few lower league players and some unknowns from Europe.

Luton might grind out some points from draws and narrow wins. Burnley will get slaughtered if they try to play Pep style football with Championship players.

They have signed a great young keeper. That's a start.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has never played above League One and will probably be backup to Muric

I wouldn't think they would pay that much for a backup. He was outstanding fir engkand u21s. I don't know I have just heard great things about him.

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

He isnt, he was poor at Anderlecht. Probably another Gerrardesque manager

Anderlecht is a mess, he got them to play decent football and a respectable position in the league. Things got way worse after he left.

he didn’t do too badly there, which is ok in his first job as manager.

we’ll see how he does in the PL, but he’s already miles ahead of Gerrard and Lampard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AXD said:

we’ll see how he does in the PL, but he’s already miles ahead of Gerrard and Lampard.

Agreed. No doubt. Budget wise it's not going to be easy to stay up. And failing to do so isn't a damning indictment of Kompany. 

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

He has never played above League One

Similar to Bazunu when Southampton paid big money for him and he played the whole Premier League season for them.

I'll leave it up to others to decide whether that's evidence of Burney's decision to do similar being a good or a bad decision.

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Similar to Bazunu when Southampton paid big money for him and he played the whole Premier League season for them.

I'll leave it up to others to decide whether that's evidence of Burney's decision to do similar being a good or a bad decision.

And where did Southampton finish in that PL season? 🤣

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

He has never played above League One and will probably be backup to Muric

Trafford looked great in the U21 tournament to be fair, and Bolton (club and fans) seemed to rave about him. I think he’ll be first choice. 

• Like 3

On 26/07/2023 at 17:29, duke313 said:

Be interesting to see if Komapny’s “pep ball” translates to the PL on a Championship budget. Can see them struggling, and him getting sacked.

They'll be o.k. Won't be as good as Fulham were last season but think 14th place with about 40 or so points should be realistic target.

Surprised they haven't tried to get Tella back as he was brilliant on loan but they'll surprise teams with their style. Certainly would expect them to do better than Sheffield and Luton and then it's a case of just finding one stagnant prem team to finish above e.g. Everton, Wolves or Bournemouth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They'll be o.k. Won't be as good as Fulham were last season but think 14th place with about 40 or so points should be realistic target.

Surprised they haven't tried to get Tella back as he was brilliant on loan but they'll surprise teams with their style. Certainly would expect them to do better than Sheffield and Luton and then it's a case of just finding one stagnant prem team to finish above e.g. Everton, Wolves or Bournemouth.

Maatsen was really good too but looks like he's part of Chelseas plans this season 

Â