One For The Road

11 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

They are  a small market town albeit with a storied history. They did well to stay in this division for so long. It going to be harder to go back up this time without Dyche.

I do have some sympathy  for them in regards to the scheduling of our game on Thursday followed by today.. It was very late to put the game in. 

Yeah well… if, when their club had a COVID outbreak, they had played their reserves or their kids in their fixtures (like we did), then there wouldn’t have been a fixture pileup would there…

So it’s their own fault for trying to fiddle the schedule to their advantage

Now that Burnley are relegated, who is the top flight team that are widely viewed as “the cloggers”? The club who evoke a “what are they doing here? They never do anything*” unfashionable vibe? 

Fulham and to a lesser extent Bournemouth have the same vibe as Norwich and Watford, not quite the same “clogger” feel about them, plus they frequently don’t outstay their welcome.

I’m asking this in the belief (hope) it’s not us. Southampton, maybe?

For what it’s worth, similar to Hanoi above, I don’t mind having an unfashionable club or two in the league. Adds a bit of texture.

* it’s open to interpretation what “anything” is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Now that Burnley are relegated, who is the top flight team that are widely viewed as “the cloggers”? The club who evoke a “what are they doing here? They never do anything*” unfashionable vibe? 

Fulham and to a lesser extent Bournemouth have the same vibe as Norwich and Watford, not quite the same “clogger” feel about them, plus they frequently don’t outstay their welcome.

For what it’s worth, similar to Hanoi above, I don’t mind having an unfashionable club or two in the league. Adds a bit of texture.

I think it may be us (saw a tweet from someone yesterday responding to a post about how we had the ability to cause Man City problems that basically said 'well if Villa play like they did against Spurs, they'll cause problems for City by making them need the stretcher so often' or words to that effect).

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DJ_Villain said:

Yeah well… if, when their club had a COVID outbreak, they had played their reserves or their kids in their fixtures (like we did), then there wouldn’t have been a fixture pileup would there…

So it’s their own fault for trying to fiddle the schedule to their advantage

Weren't we the ones who actually pushed for the game to get called off that afternoon as pretty sure we waited until we got the tests confirmation back and then rang the premier league up at midday.

The game should've been played sooner, we had a free Wednesday before Arsenal at home in March for example. Leaving it so late in the season didn't really do us any favours as we dropped down the league and couldn't play a winnable home game.

I'm not sure Burnley are as doomed as everyone says. If it's a 60m shortfall they just sell these players:

Pope 15m- Likes of leeds and Southampton will surely take him. Would be a great pick up for Fulham aswell.

Weghorst 10m +- Never looked a good fit for them compared to Chris Wood. Will surely have a release clause given he gave up european football at Wolfsburg to join them'

Cornet 17m- That's his release clause. Frustrating player but did hit 9 goals in 25 prem games so someone will take a chance on him.

McNeill 15m- Looked at Burnley forum last night and surprised how few rate him. Only 22 so probably a lower end team will think he has potential. Not good enough for us though.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think it may be us (saw a tweet from someone yesterday responding to a post about how we had the ability to cause Man City problems that basically said 'well if Villa play like they did against Spurs, they'll cause problems for City by making them need the stretcher so often' or words to that effect).

Nonsense. We aren’t a dirty team and bitter spurs fans just moan about everything. Spurs players falling over every single second doesn’t make us a dirty team, it makes them cheats. Leeds are the cloggers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Err....Us.:ph34r:

Well the North london mob were creating their memes about us kicking them off the pitch after the recent games. We've also not finished top half in prem in ages so that's the making up the numbers in the league bit sorted.

I'd have said Newcastle would've fitted the bill but that was under Ashley/Bruce. Maybe Palace aswell but they've played very decent football under Vieria and have some really talented young players so perhaps more to come next season if they sign a good CF.

• Like 2

Just now, Ingram85 said:

Nonsense. We aren’t a dirty team and bitter spurs fans just moan about everything. Spurs players falling over every single second doesn’t make us a dirty team, it makes them cheats. Leeds are the cloggers. 

I know it's nonsense, but often people's perceptions aren't particularly well aligned with reality.

Leeds are actually by far the 'dirtiest' side: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/fairnesstabelle/wettbewerb/GB1/saison_id/2021

. . . but I just wonder if people have a different over-riding perception of them (never stop attacking, run very hard, suicidal etc). Maybe that older perception will die with distance from Bielsa, and instead the dirty perception will take over.

• Like 1

From what I've seen of Leeds this season under Marsch they could become a Burnley type team, I thought that he was meant to be some sort of modern coach but watching them with him in charge as been like watching a team managed by an old fashioned English manager, they're also already getting a reputation for being a dirty team in terms of dangerous tackles.

Maybe after he's had a pre-season with them they'll change.

West Ham come to mind as well, as do Wolves in the sense that they're very pragmatic, only the bottom three scored less than them and only the top four conceded less.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Err....Us.:ph34r:

Well the North london mob were creating their memes about us kicking them off the pitch after the recent games. We've also not finished top half in prem in ages so that's the making up the numbers in the league bit sorted.

I'd have said Newcastle would've fitted the bill but that was under Ashley/Bruce. Maybe Palace aswell but they've played very decent football under Vieria and have some really talented young players so perhaps more to come next season if they sign a good CF.

I think having someone as high profile as Coutinho in our ranks tempers that.

Admittedly if we constantly finished 11th to 17th every season for the next 3 or 4 years, we would rightly have that “never doing anything/what do they bring to the league” perception regardless of how many famous names we have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S-Platt said:

They did well to stay up for so long.  I guess they will struggle now.  I prefer teams that sell their away allocation at our place though.  Them and Norwich (had more of an excuse) ruined our average attendance this year!

More spice in games against Leeds so I am not too bothered they stayed up.

Hopefully Forest come up so it's just Bournemouth that will struggle with away following next year unless we play them early.

Surely Burnley have more of an excuse since the game was called off and moved to a Thursday night 

36 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Many teams would disagree. Spurs and Arsenal think we are dirty. Mings is one of the players people usually label as one of the worst in the league when it comes to being dirty

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Surely Burnley have more of an excuse since the game was called off and moved to a Thursday night 

They have had since December to sell 3000 tickets massive game last away game of the season. chance to stay up and did not even fill the lower tier.

Thursday night or not if I was a player for them I would have looked at that and thought why bother.

If they were already down like Norwich then fair enough.

Just now, S-Platt said:

They have had since December to sell 3000 tickets massive game last away game of the season. chance to stay up and did not even fill the lower tier.

Thursday night or not if I was a player for them I would have looked at that and thought why bother.

If they were already down like Norwich then fair enough.

Didn't it only get rescheduled about 3 weeks ago

AV: ‘Burnley, I would like to say how much I will miss your honest, friendly companionship.’
Burnley: ‘Thank you, Mr AV.’
AV: ‘But, as we both know, it would be an utter lie. I will therefore confine myself to saying simply, “Sod off, and if I ever meet you again, it will be twenty billion years too soon.”‘

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I have to admit to what is going to be a very unpopular opinion, which is that while Burnley were largely poor to watch, I will grudgingly miss them a bit. For one, it was quite an achievement to keep a small town team without big owners or players in the Premier League for so long. For another, I quite liked that they offered a different type of challenge. Now, I know people will respond about Ben Mee breaking Wesley's leg and there's no doubt that their style of play had its downsides as well, but they aren't the only club that put in a bad tackle. What they did offer was variety, and a need for the big clubs to adapt their game plans, and while they didn't catch Man City out they did sometimes cause issues for the likes of Spurs and Arsenal. It looks likely that all of next season's bottom half will consist of sides who try to 'play football' against each other, and have no strategy against big teams except suicidal stupidity (Leeds, potentially Forest) or getting eleven men behind the ball and laughably trying to 'play out from the back' (everyone else).

Agree completely, I'd have much rather Everton or Leeds gone down than Burnley

57 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Didn't it only get rescheduled about 3 weeks ago

yeah in fairness they didn't have long to figure out logistics, time off work etc

i'd have liked leeds or everton to go down but i've no problem seeing the back of these scumbags with their white lives matter banners and racist gestures

I would say Everton and West Ham are quite "workman-like' teams. Everton especially seem to get a lot of cards and hammers regularly mix it up physically and get results tbf, although they can play on the floor too. We are probably up there though as we do get a fair few cards

20 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Our wait for a home win against them goes on

Honestly along with being subject to humiliating comebacks multiple times a season things like this are supremely embarrassing for us.

Â