One For The Road

45 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

The recent takeover was leveraged against the club. No premier league tv money, equals big problems. Plus as part of the takeover deal I believe they need to cough up £60m somewhere along the line around one of the loans they took. 

In the leveraged buyout Burnley effectively took an interest only loan for 60 million, secured against TV rights.  There’s a clause meaning if relegated they need to repay either 40 or 60 million in 12 months. They’ll probably refinance that again at an extortionate rate, which with the championship FFP will be like a millstone.

Add to that 10 players out of contract, even with parachute payments it might be a while before we see them again. 

They are  a small market town albeit with a storied history. They did well to stay in this division for so long. It going to be harder to go back up this time without Dyche.

I do have some sympathy  for them in regards to the scheduling of our game on Thursday followed by today.. It was very late to put the game in. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

that Mings block was a sliding doors moment 

Not necessarily - if they had beat us but lost today they still would've gone down. I guess you could argue beating us would've given them more momentum but they went into today still quite firm favourites due to their GD and (arguably) easier fixture.

• Like 1

Just now, Mantis said:

Not necessarily - if they had beat us but lost today they still would've gone down. I guess you could argue beating us would've given them more momentum but they went into today still quite firm favourites due to their GD and (arguably) easier fixture.

yeah, I know if it had played out the same they would still be going down. Just think it might've shifted the approach from both sides, but its whatever. 

29 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

that Mings block was a sliding doors moment 

Wouldn't have actually stayed up if they'd won v us although guess them being 2 clear might've spooked Leeds more going into final day, we'll never know.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

They are  a small market town albeit with a storied history. They did well to stay in this division for so long. It going to be harder to go back up this time without Dyche.

I do have some sympathy  for them in regards to the scheduling of our game on Thursday followed by today.. It was very late to put the game in. 

Was a complete nonsense given that was a non TV game in mid December and we had to wait five months to play it. There was a free midweek in March it could've been played aswell.

In normal circumstances it would've been played on the Wednesday but guess they didn't want any prem matches to clash with europa final.

would take Cornet and Collins off them. Hell, even Tarkowski on a free would be good business for somebody. Some of their strikers will get good moves away but i think the bulk of that squad they could keep together and will be able to mount a good push for promotion next season

9 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

would take Cornet and Collins off them. Hell, even Tarkowski on a free would be good business for somebody. Some of their strikers will get good moves away but i think the bulk of that squad they could keep together and will be able to mount a good push for promotion next season

Cornet would just be as frustrating as Traore.

Collins has potential but still a bit raw in many aspects so think another season in championship would do him good.

Actually would I'd look at would be Charlie Taylor at LB, mid 20s and I think he's been solid enough for them over last few seasons and has a decent cross so think that's the type that wouldn't be on crazy wages and would be content to be back up to Digne here.

• Like 1

They needed to go as soon they tried to rebrand as the new Aston Villa when we went down. That season they had a kit reveal where their reveal was "Prepared" and even had Dafabet as their sponsor :lol: 

7 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Going to be in a financial mess due to their dodgy leveraged American takeover last season, would not mind looting them for some squad depth. Nathan Collins is a fine young centre half while Dwight McNeil has had a poor season he is still a good footballer who would be a useful option to have if say the likes of Traore move on.

They are financially ****. Nathan Collins would be a good signing from them and we could get him cheap enough

4 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Bye-bye Anti-football Burnley, you won't be missed.

Pope though, he's a great keeper, wonder who will go for him?

I know Burnley get a bad reputation but we hardly play top quality football either and we have a budget a lot bigger than them

• Like 1

They did well to stay up for so long.  I guess they will struggle now.  I prefer teams that sell their away allocation at our place though.  Them and Norwich (had more of an excuse) ruined our average attendance this year!

More spice in games against Leeds so I am not too bothered they stayed up.

Hopefully Forest come up so it's just Bournemouth that will struggle with away following next year unless we play them early.

8 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Population roughly the same as Redditch, they've done very well to stick around as long as they have. 

I agree that the scheduling of the game against us was unfair

Would have prefered Leeds to go down but I think Burnely deserved it. Found their approach on Thursday of coming for a point very strange given their situation. Two games to go to save your skin and you take the conservative approach! Odd. 

Especially when they had one of the most in form sides in the league away on the final day! Would have been better going all out to beat us and then trying to hold on for a draw yesterday. 

I have to admit to what is going to be a very unpopular opinion, which is that while Burnley were largely poor to watch, I will grudgingly miss them a bit. For one, it was quite an achievement to keep a small town team without big owners or players in the Premier League for so long. For another, I quite liked that they offered a different type of challenge. Now, I know people will respond about Ben Mee breaking Wesley's leg and there's no doubt that their style of play had its downsides as well, but they aren't the only club that put in a bad tackle. What they did offer was variety, and a need for the big clubs to adapt their game plans, and while they didn't catch Man City out they did sometimes cause issues for the likes of Spurs and Arsenal. It looks likely that all of next season's bottom half will consist of sides who try to 'play football' against each other, and have no strategy against big teams except suicidal stupidity (Leeds, potentially Forest) or getting eleven men behind the ball and laughably trying to 'play out from the back' (everyone else).

• Like 4

Â