January transfer window 2018

Jareth

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Ask pretty much any Brentford fan who their most consistent performer is and they'll tell you it's Woods. He acts as the pivot in the midfield and literally everything goes through him. He can tackle, he can pass and he never stops running. 

Now, this sounds like a ringing endorsement and a suggestion we should snap him up but I would exercise caution. He's a stand-out at Brentford for a reason. I know there's still a lot of sceptics (and possibly a larger number of people who don't know how Brentford work) but he stands out because of his role in the system. I'm not saying he is a bad player, he is far from that, I'm just saying that anyone who has been watching for the last 3 or 4 years will see that Brentford happily sell their "best" players to "bigger" teams and almost without exception, they don't meet expectations.

Gray, Odubajo, Tarkowski, Dallas, Diagouraga, Hogan, Button, Bidwell, Jota, Colin, Dean were all regular performers and all left to what they thought was a step up (although I know the last three could be contended). I don't think any could say their profile has improved as a result. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't look at Woods but I would exercise a note of caution. 

PS - quoted @lexicon as a jumping-off point rather than a direct response

PPS - not that it matters but I do go to most Brentford home games (when they don't clash with Villa).

Thanks for the info - I'm not clued up on Brentford at all really, so was playing devil's advocate more than anything else for the sake of discussion. Sounds like they've got a similar model to Swansea in that respect - or quite a few teams who don't bank on players staying of they turn into big stars (like Borussia Dortmund). 

I'd be perfectly happy with a model like that tbf. It's a good one to have in the modern game. 

• Like 1

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-wolves-set-transfer-13916170

Aston Villa and Wolverhampton Wanderers are set to go head-to-head in January for red-hot Czech Republic striker Michal Krmencik.

Both clubs are reportedly preparing bids for the 24-year-old Viktoria Plzen star who has hit 18 goals in 25 matches this season.

Krmencik is also being tracked by Dinamo Zagreb and talks with the Croatian side are said to be at an advanced stage.

But Villa and Wolves could offer the 6ft 2in forward a route into English football when the transfer window opens in six weeks.

Plzen would be willing to listen to offers of around £3million according to reports.

Krmencik has fired his club side to top spot in the Czech First League and has also impressed on the European stage this term, scoring five goals in as many games as Plzen were knocked out in Champions League qualifying before entering the Europa League group stages.

He also scored four goals for his country in World Cup qualifiers taking his international tally to six in ten games overall.

• Like 1

Bruce just alluded to the fact that we aint got much to spend and we'll have to be creative if we want to bring people in but all he can do is ask and knows the people upstairs will help him if they can. We're hamstrung by FFP as we all know. Gone are the days of hoping for someone to step in and take Richards and Gabby's wages out of the equation. Hogan and McCormack - for the money we spent - have been disastrous signings. If Gardner gets returned in Jan we're back to having no wiggle roomwith Tshibola already back and McCormack coming back. I think we'll be left hoping McCormack can step up and justify his place come January myself. And RHM gets fit and shows us it's all been worth it too. Or of course Gabby returns, finds redemption, fires us to promotion and gets a new contract....

Maybe Elphick will move on. RDL and Bree seem on the periphery, Lyden hasn't featured yet rather surprisingly maybe he'll get a loan somewhere. Maybe, just maybe, we can sell someone we'd rather keep hold of? turn lansbury over for profit? Bree? we didn't pay much for them and prices are inflated in January. If there were any serious takers for some of the older players, financially we'd have to look at it. I cant see us having a big queue at the door though, lets put it that way.

In an ideal world we'd see a decent CB, LB, CM and ST come in and all the unwanted players - who for me are, for different reasons, Bunn, Hutton, Richards, Elphick, Gardner, Tshibola, McCormack and Agbonlahor - leave. 8 out 4 in, streamlined the squad, saved a bucket of cash on wages. Oh how I long for an ideal world.

• Like 1

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/transfer-gossip-arsenal-everton-aston-792645

England Under-19 international Marcus Tavernier is attracting Premier League interest, with the Daily Mail reporting that Arsenal and Everton are keen on signing the winger.

Aston Villa are also said to be keen on the 18-year-old, who has broken through into Garry Monk’s Middlesbrough side this season.

Usually deployed on the left wing, Tavernier scored his first league goal for the club before the international break in a 1-0 victory over Boro’s North-East rivals Sunderland – and scouts are said to be on high alert.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

that suggests to me that whoever is the driving force behind the club is getting it right.

Yep - the owner is a smart guy. He knows exactly what price he will sell every player for. The player knows it too and that's their incentive.

We desperately need YET ANOTHER striker and a straight into the first team central defender.  These are the absolute essentials. 

Therfore I fully expect at least 2 right backs and a couple of midfielders to sign. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Krmencik is basically a bruce type player. He is tall, and very strong. Would actually be a good signing for us. He is only 24 and scoring and assisting for fun in the czech league. BUT he is playing for plzen which is destroying the league right now. He is getting loads of scoring chances each match. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Krmencik is basically a bruce type player. He is tall, and very strong. Would actually be a good signing for us. He is only 24 and scoring and assisting for fun in the czech league. BUT he is playing for plzen which is destroying the league right now. He is getting loads of scoring chances each match. 

Nice one Czechlad! He sounds very promising as don't know anything about the player myself.

Do you think he will be a good addition to Championship and has he got potential to play in Premiership?

Edited by Villan4Life

56 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Cheers for the heads up.

To be fair, we're quite often creating good chances and not taking them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Nice one Czechlad! He sounds very promising as don't know anything about the player myself.

Do you think he will be a good addition to Championship and has he got potential to play in Premiership?

It's difficult to say. I've watched him play for Plzen and he is too good for the czech league. He seems to learn very quick which is a big plus.

For the national team, he struggled in some matches. He really has only scored against smaller nations. 

I'd say he would be a smart signing for us. Probably wouldn't cost a whole lot, and he is a big target man who we desperately need if Kodjia is out for a long time. 

The thing is if Wolves are also interested and his people look at the table even if it stays as it is or Villa improve, I'm not sure he'll choose Villa?

Can Villa afford to fork out 3m-4m in January without shifting players? If you believe what Bruce is currently saying then it must be no.

7 hours ago, striker said:

The thing is if Wolves are also interested and his people look at the table even if it stays as it is or Villa improve, I'm not sure he'll choose Villa?

Can Villa afford to fork out 3m-4m in January without shifting players? If you believe what Bruce is currently saying then it must be no.

Hard to say - he's not going to come out and say 'yeah, we've got loooaaaadssamaannnyyy' because then the prices'll get jacked up. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Czechlad said:

It's difficult to say. I've watched him play for Plzen and he is too good for the czech league. He seems to learn very quick which is a big plus.

For the national team, he struggled in some matches. He really has only scored against smaller nations. 

I'd say he would be a smart signing for us. Probably wouldn't cost a whole lot, and he is a big target man who we desperately need if Kodjia is out for a long time. 

Sounds more suited to our style than Wolves so may be a better move to come to us.

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sounds more suited to our style than Wolves so may be a better move to come to us.

Definitely not. Krmencik isn't that great with the ball at his feet so I don't think he'd fit in with Wolves playing style. Hogan would suit wolves since Wolves need a dynamic striker. Krmencik would suit Bruce very well. 

As a Villa fan, I hope these rumors are actually true because we need someone other than Davis, and it needs to be a player who we don't have to change our style for. 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Plus seeing as you're Czech and we've not exactly had much luck with their players - Baros, Kozak, Berger, Drobny etc. I think you're hoping for someone to redeem your country? :)

Don't forget Dr Jo !

image.jpeg.15f64eff1cb0dc8344931261f8d54fd2.jpeg

Edited by Brumerican
  • Haha 1