January transfer window 2018

Jareth

5 hours ago, Brumerican said:

I disagree massively. 

He's bagged 1 assist this season, his pass completion rate is about the same and his defensive contribution is clearly lower. 

outs

Hutton Elphick Samba Richards Thor & Gaby

If they count as „transferable“

Calderwood Clements Bruce Round & Wyness

Ins

CB LB DM CF

Transfers or compensation Coaches  & Manager

Plus

Bernstein King & Hollis

to sort the mess out

Edited by Grasshopper

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

He's bagged 1 assist this season, his pass completion rate is about the same and his defensive contribution is clearly lower. 

Have you seen the kid play ? He'd walk into our midfield any day . I judge footballers on how they play football rather than stats.

9 hours ago, meregreen said:

Diame  would be yet another old player, here for a payday, blocking our kids. No thanks

Yep. Wanted him a few years back (think it was Lambert's first season) but he has done little last few seasons and just seems to warm the bench at Newcastle.

Think it would be a Lansbury-esque move.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

Have you seen the kid play ? He'd walk into our midfield any day . I judge footballers on how they play football rather than stats.

To be fair he is approaching 31 in June and we have enough defensive midfielders as it is. Rather we gave Jordan Lyden a chance rather than waste another 40/50k a week on Diame. 

We need to be looking at a another striker and possibly a younger central defender.

Diame hasn't stayed at a club for very long since he arrived at Wigan and there is a reason for that. He just isn't all that good. 

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

I judge them on both - why do you think he's so good? And what makes you think that he'd work in our team with  Bruce, who doesn't seem to utilise CMs very much? 

13 hours ago, TRO said:

But none of those are currently scoring goals.

Because of the first point of my post highlighting we have no attacking flair or service for these guys to be scoring goals.

We are setup wrong, have a defensive mentality and need 1 or 2 more attacking minded options from midfield.

21 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Because of the first point of my post highlighting we have no attacking flair or service for these guys to be scoring goals.

We are setup wrong, have a defensive mentality and need 1 or 2 more attacking minded options from midfield.

We do have a defensive mentality, not arguing with that, but the midfield do see the ball?

its not like they never see the ball.....its just not dealt with very well, or very quiickly.

each dep't does not seem linked or in collusion......its almost like a relay, over to you.

On 15/11/2017 at 06:26, lexicon said:

Why though? 

He wouldn't come in to replace any of our DMs as he isn't as good defensively and his passing, statistically speaking, is nothing special either. 

We could probably have said the same about James Milner.  He was a bang average winger, and didn't seem to truly excel at anything.  Put him in the middle, though, and it just seemed to work.  Woods looks like he might be from the same mould.

9 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

We could probably have said the same about James Milner.  He was a bang average winger, and didn't seem to truly excel at anything.  Put him in the middle, though, and it just seemed to work.  Woods looks like he might be from the same mould.

He wasn't bang average at all. He was a highly rated prospect who started playing and scoring goals in the prem aged 16 - later on we signed him for 12 million quid, which was still quite a lot of money in 2008. It's true that he excelled in a more central role but it's not like he was as bad as being 'bang average'. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

He wasn't bang average at all. He was a highly rated prospect who started playing and scoring goals in the prem aged 16 - later on we signed him for 12 million quid, which was still quite a lot of money in 2008. It's true that he excelled in a more central role but it's not like he was as bad as being 'bang average'. 

I don't think he'd have got the moves he did and the career he's had if he carried on as a winger.  He wasn't quick enough.

What he did have was a good brain, a great engine, and the ability to pick a pass. 

Perhaps bang average was a bit harsh, but I don't think he had much more about him than Albrighton in terms of wing play.  Centrally, though, he's the most dynamic player we've had there since our Europe-conquering days.

• Like 2

On 15/11/2017 at 19:40, lexicon said:

I judge them on both - why do you think he's so good? And what makes you think that he'd work in our team with  Bruce, who doesn't seem to utilise CMs very much? 

Ask pretty much any Brentford fan who their most consistent performer is and they'll tell you it's Woods. He acts as the pivot in the midfield and literally everything goes through him. He can tackle, he can pass and he never stops running. 

Now, this sounds like a ringing endorsement and a suggestion we should snap him up but I would exercise caution. He's a stand-out at Brentford for a reason. I know there's still a lot of sceptics (and possibly a larger number of people who don't know how Brentford work) but he stands out because of his role in the system. I'm not saying he is a bad player, he is far from that, I'm just saying that anyone who has been watching for the last 3 or 4 years will see that Brentford happily sell their "best" players to "bigger" teams and almost without exception, they don't meet expectations.

Gray, Odubajo, Tarkowski, Dallas, Diagouraga, Hogan, Button, Bidwell, Jota, Colin, Dean were all regular performers and all left to what they thought was a step up (although I know the last three could be contended). I don't think any could say their profile has improved as a result. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't look at Woods but I would exercise a note of caution. 

PS - quoted @lexicon as a jumping-off point rather than a direct response

PPS - not that it matters but I do go to most Brentford home games (when they don't clash with Villa).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I suppose we definitely need a striker in now. 

I'd imagine we'll be looking at someone on loan as I can't imagine there's cash to bring in the level of player we'd want on a permanent basis whilst the other (injured) guys are still at the club.

Anyone decent in the Premier League not getting enough game time?  What about that Welsh 12 year old at Liverpool, Woodburn?  Or the other one who scored all the goals for England in the youth World Cup tournament?

James Wilson at United has been a big prospect for a while - could he be an option too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Ask pretty much any Brentford fan who their most consistent performer is and they'll tell you it's Woods. He acts as the pivot in the midfield and literally everything goes through him. He can tackle, he can pass and he never stops running. 

Now, this sounds like a ringing endorsement and a suggestion we should snap him up but I would exercise caution. He's a stand-out at Brentford for a reason. I know there's still a lot of sceptics (and possibly a larger number of people who don't know how Brentford work) but he stands out because of his role in the system. I'm not saying he is a bad player, he is far from that, I'm just saying that anyone who has been watching for the last 3 or 4 years will see that Brentford happily sell their "best" players to "bigger" teams and almost without exception, they don't meet expectations.

Gray, Odubajo, Tarkowski, Dallas, Diagouraga, Hogan, Button, Bidwell, Jota, Colin, Dean were all regular performers and all left to what they thought was a step up (although I know the last three could be contended). I don't think any could say their profile has improved as a result. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't look at Woods but I would exercise a note of caution. 

PPS - not that it matters but I do go to most Brentford home games (when they don't clash with Villa).

I think Tarkowski is having a brilliant season at Burnley. I think you could argue about gray too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, choffer said:

that suggests to me that whoever is the driving force behind the club is getting it right.