• Elmohamady
    • Davis
    • Snodgrass (Davis 50)
    • Hogan (Green 60)
    • Agbonlahor (Onomah 71)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Perfomance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/09/17 at 18:45

I was annoyed with the replays until I realised it was saving me from watching the live football.  I also was completely unsure who the man of the match was until I realised it was the goalkeeper by a country mile.  We looked like the away team and created nothing.  I really want stability but Bruce has had a year, two transfer windows and needs to go.  We were very second best at home against a team who will probably be in the frame for relegation, if they were any better (say had Hogan) would have won.  Just the thought of waiting another year for the semblance of hope leaves me cold.  Austin next week could be ugly.  Fire the replay guy and take Bruce with you.

My support for Bruce is wavering after that!

That was an awful a performance you could wish to see at home to a very average side.

Their fans summed it up at the end 'you're f##kin shittttt... you're f##kin shit'!

• Like 1

Didn't watch any of this match so perhaps it's unwise to comment.

But just looking at the BBC Sport app. I see we had ONE shot on target whole match.

What the **** is going on?

This is unacceptable and can't be allowed to continue.

Sounds like we have a lot to thank Johnstone for.

• Like 1

I must be the only one that thinks that Bruce needs more time? I opposed his appointment at the time, and thought it was a disgrace that we weren't promoted last season. 

But then again, I don't think we can keep changing our manger and expecting instant results. Bruce is a competent manager, his record suggests that. He wasn't my choice but sacking him now would do more harm than good. 

Results are important and they've not been good enough, but we're not yet at the tipping point, it's early in the season and there is plenty of time to improve.

My feeling is that we've been through a period of upheaval and the squad is in a decent place, it seems almost balanced to me.Not perfect, but good enough for promotion. 

From now on, there won't be wholesale change to the squad, the best part of the clear out has happened. Now we need to knuckle down and get some results. 

And hey at least Bruce isn't telling us to go again, or they're an honest bunch of lads, or we can't complete or whatever. He he's his hands up and takes the pressure off the players. He wants this to work as much as we do. 

• Thanks 1

Edit: site rules- insert Will Inbetweeners **** dreadful gif here

I was excited for my first game of the season. More fool me!

I had a ST under Mcleish and still can't remember seeing much worse from us at VP.

Johnstone comfortably MOTM today and we have him to thank for our point. Brentford might think they were unlucky not to win but the real story of today was how awful we were. 

Onomah showed glimpses of brilliance but that was about as good as it got for us. Terry missed a decent chance from a first half header and Hogan put himself about a bit after coming on. 

The bottom line is that we lacked ideas and this has to come from the manager. 

Johnstone 9 MOTM -earned us our undeserved point. 

Bree 6 Best RB in the squad 

Terry 6 better than of late

Chester 5 probably the worst I've seen him for us. Not the man you want that chance falling to on 84 mins

Taylor 6 can't complain, he did what he does. Solid but offers little going forward 

Elmo 5 wins headers but not much else. Would have Snodgrass or Adomah in for him.

Whelan 5 thought he was decent first half but in the second half his insatiable appetite to pass backwards was the opposite of what we needed

Onomah 6 he's decent but we need to play in a more attacking way to utilise him best 

Hourihane 5 see above, little impact today

Green 5 flashes of good but still not convinced he's ready to be a starter every game

Davis 6 did what he could but we need a goal scorer alongside him

subs

Snodgrass 5 maybe too much expectation, maybe poor play around him but didn't really make much of an impact

Hogan 6 I like him but we aren't set up for him to thrive. Did all he could under the circumstances.

Gabby 5 nice to see an incentive sub for Onomah rather than Lansbury coming on (nothing against HL here) but didn't have much impact 

Can't see us beating Boro on today's showing. Time to change the manager for me. We have the players, we need to use them correctly.

Edited by chappy

You're a brave man posting that - so I will answer respectfully

14 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

I must be the only one that thinks that Bruce needs more time? I opposed his appointment at the time, and thought it was a disgrace that we weren't promoted last season.

You are certainly in a small but stubborn minority. Oddly, I and many other #BruseOut'ers were not opposed to his appointment, thought it made sense and were willing to accept last season  as a consolidation and stabilization exercise.

But then again, I don't think we can keep changing our manger and expecting instant results. 

We haven't changed our manager for a year. Its not like we are chewing them up and spitting them out. But after 12 months we should be seeing something - some plan, some glimmer of improvement. Honestly - look at the last two performances and tell me what has improved.

Bruce is a competent manager, his record suggests that. 

His record may suggest that, his performances, interviews and actions however do not - lets not even talk about results....;

He wasn't my choice but sacking him now would do more harm than good. 

It cannot possibly do more harm than good. We *are* that bad. Anyone who thinks that this is a team that is coming together is deluded. The players were arguing with each other today. Arguing. On the pitch. 

Results are important and they've not been good enough, but we're not yet at the tipping point, it's early in the season and there is plenty of time to improve.

They are everything! Frankly we are at the tipping point. There is not plenty of time to improve, not if we want to get promoted. If we dont get promoted this season, the likelyhood is that we are staying down here. 

My feeling is that we've been through a period of upheaval and the squad is in a decent place, it seems almost balanced to me.Not perfect, but good enough for promotion. 

The squad is very good. Most Championship teams can only dream of a squad like ours, including some that are challenging for promotion, but it is not balanced, we list to the right very heavily. We also have more rightbacks than the rest of the league put together. This squad though is easily good enough for promotion.

From now on, there won't be wholesale change to the squad, the best part of the clear out has happened.

Yep, plus there isn't a transfer window for four months..... so we cant change the squad.....

And hey at least Bruce isn't telling us to go again, or they're an honest bunch of lads, or we can't complete or whatever. He he's his hands up and takes the pressure off the players. 

Has he? - all I heard was excuses and him blaming everyone that he can think of? The two times when he suggested he *might* have got something wrong, he immediately followed up with an excuse as to why it wasn't his fault though. I am surprised he hasn't blamed Brexit yet.

He wants this to work as much as we do. 

I'm sure he does want that. I wan't to woo Anne Hathaway. Doesn't mean that I am going to be able to make it happen though. 

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 3

That was horrendous. I drove through torrential rain and road works for 4 hours there, and 4 back, to watch that.

disgraceful performance really in that no one seemed to care.

positives, erm Johnstone made some really smart saves today. Snodgrass had intent when he came on. That's about it.

negatives are easier.

Whelan was awful, he's just surprisingly not upto it.

What has happened to Chester from last year? He's a shadow of that player, and a liability at times.

Hogan looks a shell of a £12mil player.

ive resisted saying it before, but Bruce is responsible and is holding us back now.

Certainly two hours of my life that I won't get back. Utter crap from Villa coupled with the ignominy of being outplayed by Brentford and scrabbling a desperate point at home against them.

I'm sorry but I totally lay this at Bruce's door. I don't think he has a clue as to what the appropriate formation is or who are his best 11 players are or how to change a game by variation of tactics or for that matter what tactics to adopt at the start of a game. Today's game summed all of that up for me.

The fans around us in the Holte were going mad watching the utter crap that was being served up and I think Bruce and the team got off pretty lightly given the abject performance we all witnessed. Carry on like this and we will achieve mid-table mediocrity at best.

What little faith I had in a Bruce as a manager has now gone and the quicker Dr Tony sees that he is not the manager to get us promoted the better. The simple fact is we can't even do the basics right and it will not get any better until the owner pulls the trigger and fires Bruce.

Oh and finally a special mention to the utter tossers who steward K2 and K3 in the Holte who managed to eject or encourage to leave with the help of the police around a dozen fans for basically nothing.

Bruce needs to tell us why this expensive group of proven talent at this level and above get totally schooled by Brentford at home. Their first touch, their movement, all the football basics were way above ours. How can that be and there be any decent level of coaching at BMH?

• Like 3

I fully expected Brentford to play better football than us, but to be honest they outplayed us. They controlled the first half without having a real clear cut chance and then dominated the second creating three very good chances. 

Can we now all agree that his time should now come to an end.

• Like 1

Â