• Elmohamady
    • Davis
    • Snodgrass (Davis 50)
    • Hogan (Green 60)
    • Agbonlahor (Onomah 71)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Perfomance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/09/17 at 18:45

Aside from the woeful performance,  some of our fans were embarrassing yesterday , creating pressure on their own team booing mistakes .When the players came over at the end and were roundly booed it was cringeworthy. Every team coming here will look to get our fans turning on the team

6 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

Aside from the woeful performance,  some of our fans were embarrassing yesterday , creating pressure on their own team booing mistakes .When the players came over at the end and were roundly booed it was cringeworthy. Every team coming here will look to get our fans turning on the team

Yes, because they did so much to make the fans want to cheer and applaud them. Show something decent on the pitch and the fans will make Villa Park bounce, serve up display after display of abject cr**p and they will boo.  Embarrassing fans my a**e - whats embarrassing is what is going on on the pitch.

Seriously, what are the fans supposed to do? Sit there and clap politely whilst saying, well done chaps, you tried, you just need more time???

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Yes, because they did so much to make the fans want to cheer and applaud them. Show something decent on the pitch and the fans will make Villa Park bounce, serve up display after display of abject cr**p and they will boo.  Embarrassing fans my a**e - whats embarrassing is what is going on on the pitch.

Seriously, what are the fans supposed to do? Sit there and clap politely whilst saying, well done chaps, you tried, you just need more time???

I'm not saying we should cheer them , away teams are going to love coming here with the way we turn on our own

1 minute ago, mattyvilla said:

I'm not saying we should cheer them , away teams are going to love coming here with the way we turn on our own

Well, there is a very easy way to fix that. Unfortunately it seems to be beyond our current manager and players. 

Away teams love coming here already, and not because of the fans!

• Like 1

We've always been marked as a game at home where if the opposition can stifle us quickly the fans turn. The Secret Footballer mentioned it in his book, various others have mentioned it too. We have a reputation, this is nothing new.

Unfortunately DOL is right, we are a fickle bunch as soon as things aren't going our way we turn - the team we have should be good enough though to be able to play well regardless of this. 

If the fans are such a big part of our inability to play well at home, why don't we just not turn up or play behind closed doors

I don't think the fans did 'turn on' the team. They were booed at half time and much more so at full time something many other teams fans do and will continue to do. Personally I don't agree with booing and I never have. I said in my post above the fans were going mad at the team but that was comments we made to each other and the howls of exasperation. I do not recall any chanting or songs against the team during the match either.

Having said that the atmosphere was flat to say the least. I know the standard response is the fans should get behind the team. That is very difficult when your are watching the absolute rubbish we witnessed yesterday. The fans were behind the team particularly as we attacked. Did the fans make VP a hostile atmosphere for the away team (do we ever?)......no we did not.

As I said in my post above I lay the blame 100% with Steve Bruce. How come a manager like Dean Smith with far fewer resources and man for man 'worse' players can set out a side full of attacking intent and application where the players all knew their role and our manager simply cannot?

The answer is really simple; Steve Bruce is not capable of doing those things. Sadly all the empirical evidence of the last year has woefully exposed his limitations as a manager. He's a nice bloke and 100% committed to his job but he's just not that good.

Edited by Harry

Any talk of villa fans turning or being fickle is nonsense. We have put up with with nearly a decade of utter shit and yet still nearly get 30,000 at home versus Brentford. 

I am still clinging onto the hope that Bruce knows what he is doing and will get us going- but that is looking fainter by the week.  On paper this is a decent squad for this level. And yet.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Don't bother to watch games anymore. Don't bother to even check livescore. Don't bother to even check the result until the following day. 

And I'm better off for it. Best time I've had as a fan for years. 

Sadly, this is the way I am heading. Being a football fan is supposed to be exciting, there are dreams to be had and there are ups and downs, unfortunately all our dreams have turned into nightmares and all the ups have gone, it's just downer after downer at the moment.

5 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Sadly, this is the way I am heading. Being a football fan is supposed to be exciting, there are dreams to be had and there are ups and downs, unfortunately all our dreams have turned into nightmares and all the ups have gone, it's just downer after downer at the moment.

Doesn't help that the team is managed incredibly poorly on and off the pitch and full of players I dislike.

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan

Not sure what the benefits of sticking with Bruce are at the moment.

The defence seems a bit tighter and as a result we have stopped conceding too many 85 min + goals but apart from that....

Poor football, poor results, fans are against him, players are stagnating or going backwards under him. A year on and we are right back to square one for what seems like the millionth time since MON left, we just cant seem to find the right man for the job.

4 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Wasn't able to watch the game due to a more enjoyable afternoon of hefting bags of gravel around.  But it looked like a decent starting side and strong, attacking bench so what went wrong?

We are shit.

2 hours ago, rubberman said:

Wasn't able to watch the game due to a more enjoyable afternoon of hefting bags of gravel around.  But it looked like a decent starting side and strong, attacking bench so what went wrong?

What went right is probably the better question to ask and the answer is feck all.

I went along to watch with my Dad on Saturday after a few years of not being able to attend. I have to say we picked a bad game for our comeback, and may leave it a few more years after that (Joking). My Dad thought we may have jinxed them, but I told him that I think we are just crap and that I have read comments on here from previous games suggesting as much. The best thing I can say about Saturday was that it got me out of the house for the day, and that it was nice to spend time with my Dad.

It was a pretty awful performance from the team, and we were lucky to come away with a point in the end. We could easily have conceded 2-3 goals on Saturday, and only really had a couple of good chances ourselves with the Chester scramble near the end being our best opportunity. Our other efforts didn't force a save as far as I can remember.

I have not been a big fan of SJ in goal, but he saved us a few times on Saturday, and was easily our best player by the end of the game. Worryingly We did not appear to have any kind of cohesion or link play between any of our players, it all appeared slow and laboured and easy to defend against, before inevitably being lumped up to the forward or wide man and lost. You have to wonder what they work on in training all week? Does it all go out the window when they step on the pitch on a Saturday, or do they not train sufficiently? What is concerning is that we appear to be neither good at attacking or defending, and were caught out a few times with simple balls chipped through the middle.

On a side note, I was quite surprised by how well Gabby was received, he probably received the biggest cheer of the day not that he had much competition as there wasn't a lot to cheer.

• Like 1

Â