• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

@striker

Couldn't agree more. Its like buying a F1 team, spending millions on the car and then getting Mr Bean to drive it. 

A club should invest whatever it can afford to get the best manager poosible. Only looking at guys out of work is a false economy. Generally these guys are out of work for a reason. 

4 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Someone on talksport last night suggested Steve round could be brought in as interim manager because of wyness saying he is the consistency going forward, can anyone see that happening? 

Heaven help us if it does :( 

52 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Someone on talksport last night suggested Steve round could be brought in as interim manager because of wyness saying he is the consistency going forward, can anyone see that happening? 

I stopped reading at Talksport.

2 hours ago, striker said:

Have Villa improved at the back since the signing of Terry or have they looked more vulnerable?

Certainly no better.

I've heard that;

Foreign managers can't manage in the Championship,

Experience of promotion from this league is crucial,

Old managers are dinosaurs and the game has moved on,

We have the best squad in the league and anyone could do better than Bruce,

Young managers aren't experienced enough to manage us,

Inexperienced managers could not rise to the challenge of Villa,

... so who does that leave? I can't think of anyone to be honest. The next appointment is so, so crucial though, whoever it is.

9 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I've heard that;

... so who does that leave? I can't think of anyone to be honest. The next appointment is so, so crucial though, whoever it is.

Most of us have no idea. But if you had the job of finding one and could do the research, an have the inside knowledge, i'm sure we could find a match for our club.

With the new owners and board, no one knows this club better than us the fans at the moment.

I don't believe Wyness would ever have the knowledge of our club to ever see what type of manager is needed. Bruce was such a easy option. I guarantee he does not study our games like fans do.

Evidence is like when Faulkner chose McLeish. He obviously had no idea at the time what the club needed. The fans knew it wasn't McLeish 100%

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I've heard that;

Middle aged managers?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just posted this in the Bruce thread by mistake but here are my Suggestions. 

Paulo Sousa, Paulo Bento, Slavisa Jokanović, Jaap Stam, Pep Clotet ,  Murat Yakin, Markus Weinzierl.

All attainable forward thinking young managers. Cant think of any young British managers other than Howe off the top of head who could be gettable (that's if their bad run continues btw) 

• Like 2

I can understand both sides of the Dean Smith argument. He plays the type of football we would like to see, but does he have the type of experience to make the big jump up? He's done well running the corner shop, but does that qualify him to run Tesco? Of course we can only find that out if we give him the job. My knowledge of most of the contenders is largely based on games their team has played against the Villa and 'tinterweb jibber jabber. I think based on that my choice would be the lad from Fulham. However I wouldn't be disappointed with appointing Dean Smith, because if he pulls it off, that's a dream appointment. Great football and one of our own. 

I do know if we end up with one of the usual suspects, such as Moyes, I will be extremely disappointed. If we then go on to see Dean Smith being appointed by someone like Norwich or QPR and watch them get promoted the disappointment will be doubled. We've tried the safe pair of hands, experienced route, the time may be here to take a risk. Jokanovic or Smith would at least bring some excitement and a little thrill of the unknown. I think that sort of imaginative appointment would be greeted favourably by most fans and would be afforded time to make an impact. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Just posted this in the Bruce thread by mistake but here are my Suggestions. 

Paulo Sousa, Paulo Bento, Slavisa Jokanović, Jaap Stam, Pep Clotet ,  Murat Yakin, Markus Weinzierl.

All attainable forward thinking young managers. Cant think of any young British managers other than Howe off the top of head who could be gettable (that's if their bad run continues btw) 

I think norwich have shown with farke that you can't just pick out the next david Wagner out of Germany and get repeat performances. He isn't exactly tearing up trees.  Weinzerl would be as much a gamble as dean smith would be. Sousa is a good coach. Liked what he did with Swansea.  Couldn't imagine he'll leave fiorentina though.

Edit.  Sousa left fiorentina in June. 

Edited by Johnnyp
mistake.

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

I think norwich have shown with farke that you can't just pick out the next david Wagner out of Germany and get repeat performances. He isn't exactly tearing up trees.  Weinzerl would be as much a gamble as dean smith would be. Sousa is a good coach. Liked what he did with Swansea.  Couldn't imagine he'll leave fiorentina though.

Sousa left fiorentina in June. ! 

Looking at the odds on our next manager other realistic options could be Patrick Viera or Roger Schmidt 

http://www.thesackrace.com/teams/aston-villa

Completely agree with what you are saying in regards to Smith & Weinzierl. I'm not ruling Smith out I just haven't read enough about him and his philosophies as of yet.