• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Av I think you make it too simple.....There were players today that were bereft of work rate off the ball, bereft of desire the stop the opposition, failed to get anywhere close the there opposite number.....crikey, even if Steve Bruce is shot.....couldn't one of the players ask " who is picking up woods no15"......it was pathetic.

John Terry is the captain.....hasn't he got a say on the pitch

I am in total agreement the buck stops with the manager.....but some of what I am watching is ridiculous from many many quarters.

He picks a formation that doesn't suit the team he picks, he picks players like Elmo ahead of Adomah, he sets the team up to defend deep which isolates our forwards, he tinkers with formations and loses the momentum we had built up. Plays youngsters and then they disappear despite promising performances and then basically throws them under a bus to cover for his own inadequacy.

That isn't how you get the best out of your team Steve, they lack a plan, instruction and probably confidence and you wonder why all of a sudden they start not doing the simple stuff right.......

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I saw an arrogance and attitude from Bruce in recent press conferences that I didn't like - if he takes that tone with players then they will soon resent it and he did not handle the mccormack situation well in my opinion - if some players suspect he is close to the sack then maybe they will not give their all ? 

I remember Gregory saying that collymore once used the 'you'll go before me ' line . 

I suspect he has lost sections of the dressing room  on that performance. 

The post match interview today was more like ashamed, humbled, confused.

His demeanour was also like a demo of "this is what depression looks like".

I think he had no choice with the McCormack situation but to say "This is not an acceptable excuse for missing training" and take action.  Whether he could have explored or did explore possible personal or mental health reasons for such a bizarre act and tried to help, I have no idea.  Of course any halfway professional operation with a turnover a tenth the size would have staff who would suggest and arrange support in such a situation.  I suppose we do, and we're not still in the days of Gregory utterly failing to empathise with Collymore, or the club leaving Angel to cope with a family crisis on his own - are we?

A modern day football manager needs to adapt to the new, soft skills that managers in other sectors have had to learn.

We need our next manager to be someone who can handle that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, blandy said:

I acknowledge that if a player plays a back pass short, as Chester did, that's down to them alone... but we saw one up front at home to struggling Brentford, Lansbury, hogan who he spent loads on, on the bench. We saw Brentford have a plan, look like they knew their roles and Villa look like they were making it up as they went along. **** clueless, frankly. Plot. Lost. Manager and coaching inadequate and to blame.

I saw a team like Brentford who got in our faces from the off and yes had clear instructions to deny Villa any space to play, (in the same way Neil Warnock did) when the applecart was clearly upset they started playing and what did we do in response stood off and watched them......We are a talented team ,who only get interested when teams stand off us and give us space.....that is equally evident, whenever we play the Blues or Wolves......The lack of physical appetite is the skill leveller.

our work off the ball is shocking both offensively and defensively.....as individuals they only get remotely interested when they have the ball and they play as individuals rarely having any telepathy for each others play

We made Brentford look like a decent team

Pete, every team in the leagues are good.....if you let them be.

In the middle of the park we fail to win many aerial balls, we are slow to react and rarely are we proactive.....a winger makes a sortie and our players just back off leaving several opposition players to easily cut out the ball its shocking.

WE ARE SIMPLY TOO EASY TO PLAY AGAINST.....and we make every team we play, look better than they really are.....we are shocking.

We play like a bunch of prima donnas who feel they have arrived and shouldn't be associated with this league.

They just don't compete.

I have no idea what we do.

Edited by TRO

Ok TRO perhaps you're right, perhaps it's largely down to the players. I won't go on about who bought them, or who coaches them, let's just say the players aren't playing to their potential and let's also say that it isn't Steve Bruce's fault. So what can the club do to resolve this situation? Can we sell all the players and buy a new set, of course we can't. All the board can do to resolve this real and now situation is to change the manager, because they've tried sticking with him for almost a year and there is zero sign of any real significant improvement that will result in us being promoted.

You're the CEO, what would you do?

So Bruce has not won a game, or scored a goal, against a Dean Smith side despite buying his best player in January and them selling the next three best to the noses. Tell me who you think is the better manager? 

Brentford played possession football, and carved out three of four excellent chances that should have been put away. This was all done with two players from Walsall, one from Shrewsbury, and one from Exeter, to name a few. Really, this is a low budget team that has played us off the park twice. Rarely do you see them lump it forward aimlessly. 

Stop messing around tell Bruce it's time to go and let's get Dean Smith down there so we can watch some exciting attacking football.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sod the "who replaces him".

At this point I genuinely feel the players could manage themselves better.

I genuinely believe you get to a point when the very presence of a manager can have such a negative effect (see Jose in his last season at Chelsea), that it would almost be better to not have one. 

Yes we need to get the next appointment right, and yes that may take a bit of time, but at this point i would be happy for a youth coach to take the reins for a couple of weeks. The most important thing is that Bruce leaves the club. 

10 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

He picks a formation that doesn't suit the team he picks, he picks players like Elmo ahead of Adomah, he sets the team up to defend deep which isolates our forwards, he tinkers with formations and loses the momentum we had built up. Plays youngsters and then they disappear despite promising performances and then basically throws them under a bus to cover for his own inadequacy.

That isn't how you get the best out of your team Steve, they lack a plan, instruction and probably confidence and you wonder why all of a sudden they start not doing the simple stuff right.......

I agree with most of that,but  its not a plan, he is lacking.....you don't get a manager of his stature, who has won 4 promotions and captained a club like Man U won all those trophies under one of the worlds best managers and he not have a plan.....He can't get them to do the most simple things.

He is puddled with finding a solution to a stark problem that his players need to learn to do the basics right.....It was shocking.

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

I genuinely believe you get to a point when the very presence of a manager can have such a negative effect (see Jose in his last season at Chelsea), that it would almost be better to not have one. 

Yes we need to get the next appointment right, and yes that may take a bit of time, but at this point i would be happy for a youth coach to take the reins for a couple of weeks. The most important thing is that Bruce leaves the club. 

I think we got to that stage with RDM......It maybe around the corner.

44 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I saw an arrogance and attitude from Bruce in recent press conferences that I didn't like - if he takes that tone with players then they will soon resent it and he did not handle the mccormack situation well in my opinion - if some players suspect he is close to the sack then maybe they will not give their all ? 

I remember Gregory saying that collymore once used the 'you'll go before me ' line . 

I suspect he has lost sections of the dressing room  on that performance. 

I'm starting to wonder if he ever even had the dressing room to begin with

26 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Ok TRO perhaps you're right, perhaps it's largely down to the players. I won't go on about who bought them, or who coaches them, let's just say the players aren't playing to their potential and let's also say that it isn't Steve Bruce's fault. So what can the club do to resolve this situation? Can we sell all the players and buy a new set, of course we can't. All the board can do to resolve this real and now situation is to change the manager, because they've tried sticking with him for almost a year and there is zero sign of any real significant improvement that will result in us being promoted.

You're the CEO, what would you do?

I am a great believer a manager needs time to implement his philosophies and there is clear evidence that over the years at many clubs that has been the case.....Huddersfield as an example.

My worry right now is, having said that, is that our players cannot play against teams who's sole intention it is to stop them playing and when they do we seem to have no idea,will or desire to do the same to them...Brentford got about their play unhindered.

It was sad to watch.

I do not have the will or inclination to defend Steve Bruce after watching that despite my grave attempts to give him a chance.....That was fundamentally tragic in many many ways.

I was stunned watching that and angry at the ineptitude of the performance.....I would resign after that if I was him.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I was stunned watching that and angry at the ineptitude of the performance.....I would resign after that if I was him.

I think that would be the best for all parties. Providing that the club has been preparing for a change of manager and not just sticking their heads in the sand. I think well run clubs are always preparing for a change of manager as, for what ever reason, it can happen at any time. We will perhaps see in the very near future if we are a well run club or not. 

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I do not have the will or inclination to defend Steve Bruce after watching that despite my grave attempts to give him a chance.....That was fundamentally tragic in many many ways.

Well, you've argued his case consistently and with integrity for a long time, putting forward balanced and honest assessments of the case for his defence.

If he's lost people like you, we have moved from defence to defenestration.

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree with most of that,but  its not a plan, he is lacking.....you don't get a manager of his stature, who has won 4 promotions and captained a club like Man U won all those trophies under one of the worlds best managers and he not have a plan.....He can't get them to do the most simple things.

He is puddled with finding a solution to a stark problem that his players need to learn to do the basics right.....It was shocking.

Maybe it's no coincidence that he's failed in the 2 big clubs he's managed ? He flopped at Sunderland and at villa and it's he who cannot handle the expectation levels - wyness words that Bruce admitted he rarely sleeps through fear of losing tells me a lot about him . 

The negativity is not to get beat rather than to go out for a win .