Glenn Whelan

Jareth

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Very good performance tonight for Ireland, Eriksen was kept quiet most of night

Most underrated Irish midfielder in my lifetime, always effective. First to be thrown under the bus when results aren't going well. Doesn't seem to bother him though, just gets on with it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kiltorken said:

Most underrated Irish midfielder in my lifetime, always effective. First to be thrown under the bus when results aren't going well. Doesn't seem to bother him though, just gets on with it. 

pretty much, same with Villa as well. He isnt the greatest midfielder ever but he has a footballing brain, bites into tackles and is good on the ball.

It seems unless your midfielder is popping up with 15 goals or 15 assists they are shit

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

pretty much, same with Villa as well. He isnt the greatest midfielder ever but he has a footballing brain, bites into tackles and is good on the ball.

It seems unless your midfielder is popping up with 15 goals or 15 assists they are shit

Yep, honesty think anyone who's watched Whelan play regularly and thinks he's useless doesn't have a great understanding of football and only of as you the say goals and assists stats. 

No world beater but a hugely intelligent and effective footballer in my opinion and can be technically proficient when he needs to be. 

• Like 1

I used to think he was a clogger before he joined us, playing for Pulis does that to you but he's actually a pretty intelligent footballer. His legs probably aren't up to speed with his thoughts anymore but I wonder how he would have done in a Smith team if he was like 5-8 years younger.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Stendel didn't want him / like his play, and needed to free up money for wages. Along with Naismith and Berra they were the highest paid at the Club. ( still peanuts compared to England)  Stendel has got rid of Berra as well and started to bring youngsters back who were out on loan along with bringing his own targets in................. from England I expect.

Edited by newhavenhibby

Poor Glenn, everyone is mean to him.

Former Aston Villa midfielder Glenn Whelan has not enjoyed the best days of his career after leaving the club in the summer.

In an interview with the Irish Independent , Whelan states that the club who picked him up following his Villa exit, Hearts, "threw him under the bus."

The Irish midfielder was released by the Scottish team yesterday, only making it a third of the way through his one-year deal.

Things went downhill for Whelan when former Barnsley boss Daniel Stendel arrived at the club.

"When the new manager came in, the first person he spoke to was me. He was already having a bit of a go.

"The manager came in and wanted to show his power, show the other players that he's the boss, he's the main man."

Whelan later found out via a group message that he wasn't included in Hearts' derby day defeat by Hibernian on Boxing Day, and stated that Stendal refused to give him any time to discuss this.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/amateurish-glenn-whelan-opens-up-17532203

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Honestly if this is people's assessment of his time here then I'm lost for words.

He was absolutely fine for us.

Game of opinions and all that. Having watched him for 10+ years with ROI, and 2 years at Villa, I consider him to be a very poor player. From what I've read, Hearts fans (and manager) largely agree.

Whelan is and always has been a 6/10 player which is not an insult but you know what you get. He is a player fans grow to hate due to not being spectacular and the media dislike he gets especially in Ireland 

Legs are gone but has been a good servant over hiscareer

He was absolutely terrible. The suicide passes, missed penalties, pace and agility of an aircraft carrier the lost goes on. We played well in spite of him not because of him and recency bias because he had a couple of 6/10 games towards the end of his time here (FFS it was long overdue) people forget all the 3-4/10 pathetic performances in his first 2 seasons

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

He was absolutely terrible. The suicide passes, missed penalties, pace and agility of an aircraft carrier the lost goes on. We played well in spite of him not because of him and recency bias because he had a couple of 6/10 games towards the end of his time here (FFS it was long overdue) people forget all the 3-4/10 pathetic performances in his first 2 seasons

Totally disagree with this. Smith's system wasn't working with Conor as the holding mid, we tried Jedinak, and then Wheels came in and the shape started to look much better. It wasn't a coincidence.

You don't manage a decade as a starter in the Premier League unless you've got something about you.

Yes he had plenty of poor games at Villa, but he was absolutely vital to our run to the play-off final, and that was over the space of a good 15+ games, not just a few flashes here and there. People are forgetting about the performances under Bruce, because so many decent players underperformed in Bruce's setup, and he redeemed himself.

I think a lot of whether you rate Whelan comes down to whether you care about what players do off the ball. Personally I think positioning is half the battle in football, and Whelan was usually in the right place. Fair enough he had the pace and agility of an aircraft carrier, but he was easily good enough to influence games in the Championship. And he has a sound head on his shoulders (remember how he reacted to the Bluenose punching Jack?).

Sounds to me like Stendel has engineered a conflict to suit his own plans. Which might be fair enough from his perspective, but no need to give him a bad reference on the way out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion. But this post is nonsense.

• Like 1

Â