Other Transfers and Rumours Summer 2017

Villaphan04

Just now, NoelVilla said:

I don't rate Coutinho very high. Especially not if we are talking top class of Europe. Dembele is already better with a way higher potential.

I think Coutinho is a class act - comfortably up there with the better attacking midfielders of European football for me.

In any case, in what way is Dembele already better?  His end product is nowhere near (whilst playing in an arguably weaker league), he's only 20 with one season at a big club under his belt.  I wouldn't really argue that he could become a far better player - sure, may well do.  But right now?  In what way?

Coutinho is the best player at one of the top clubs in one of Europe's top leagues. Under no circumstances can he be considered not 'top class', whatever that means, unless you're restricting its meaning to 'in the top 5-10 players in the world' (in which case, your definition is of no use helping Barcelona pick a replacement). Coutinho also gets the ball forward faster than Dembele. He's a very good player. The advantage of Dembele, obviously, is that he's 5 years younger than Coutinho and probably has greater potential to grow into 'the new Neymar/Messi' (though he also has a correspondingly higher potential to flop as well). 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

>(e)100m seems utterly outrageous, in any other recent window he'd be no more, and I mean, no more than (e)40m. 

In any other asset class alarm bells will be ringing over a fairly serious bubble, I for a second do not think football will be immune to this, surely the shit will (literally) hit the fan before long. 

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

>(e)100m seems utterly outrageous, in any other recent window he'd be no more, and I mean, no more than (e)40m. 

In any other asset class alarm bells will be ringing over a fairly serious bubble, I for a second do not think football will be immune to this, surely the shit will (literally) hit the fan before long. 

Talk of last week of Amazon  being interested in bidding for next premier league rights. Stuff like that will mean Sky/BT keep on paying over the odds for tv rights and so the cycle will continue....

It's interesting where we're going with this though. Probably in 5 years time all 20 premier league clubs will be spending 200m every summer. Last time I looked 3 teams are still going to be relegated and 12 will miss out on european qualification.

Will put to the end I think "the look how much he's spent" debates when talking about a manager as we annually had with MON in those days.

Edited by VillaChris

Yes but is that based on what he didn' t do at spurs. Scored a great hattrick for Brazil in Uruguay. Yes seems madness for a 29 year old. But you are paying treble that these days for someone of his ability who is 5 years younger. 

On 8/11/2017 at 20:21, bobzy said:

I think Coutinho is a class act - comfortably up there with the better attacking midfielders of European football for me.

In any case, in what way is Dembele already better?  His end product is nowhere near (whilst playing in an arguably weaker league), he's only 20 with one season at a big club under his belt.  I wouldn't really argue that he could become a far better player - sure, may well do.  But right now?  In what way?

Dembele is far better than Coutinho, and is 20 compared to 25. You say his end product is nowhere near Coutinho's. Last season he had 10 goals and 21 assists, compared to Coutinho's 14 goals and 9 assists (Transfermarkt). I don't think he's as inferior in that department as you think! His general performances for Dortmund were also phenomenal, in league, DFB Pokal (hauling them to victory vs Bayern in semi before scoring in the final) and the Champions League. This all built on a fantastic campaign at Rennes (no one-season wonder). He would prove a bargain (even at £100m) as players will regularly go for that price in the coming years, and he's one of the biggest talents of his generation. Coutinho, on the other hand, is a very good player but if I'm Barca I'm certainly not breaking the bank for him. Talented but only really turns it on every 3 or 4 games.

11 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Dembele is far better than Coutinho, and is 20 compared to 25. You say his end product is nowhere near Coutinho's. Last season he had 10 goals and 21 assists, compared to Coutinho's 14 goals and 9 assists (Transfermarkt). I don't think he's as inferior in that department as you think! His general performances for Dortmund were also phenomenal, in league, DFB Pokal (hauling them to victory vs Bayern in semi before scoring in the final) and the Champions League. This all built on a fantastic campaign at Rennes (no one-season wonder). He would prove a bargain (even at £100m) as players will regularly go for that price in the coming years, and he's one of the biggest talents of his generation. Coutinho, on the other hand, is a very good player but if I'm Barca I'm certainly not breaking the bank for him. Talented but only really turns it on every 3 or 4 games.

Looks very likely that Barcelona will get both