General Election 2017

ender4

31 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'd have thought people in the UK would be delighted that a run down area of the Union has secured some extra funding , instead it seems to all be about us us us and **** them  :P

I'm not delighted about being held hostage. I don't blame the DUP, particularly - why not try and get what you can? - but the notion I should feel massively sorry for Northern Ireland doesn't wash. Rowley Regis is pretty **** run down as well. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

George Osbourne is a world class troll. That is quite spectacular. 

He's enjoying himself, isn't he?  While it's quite amusing to watch, there's something about having affairs of state and the role of the press in holding governments accountable being reduced to this protracted game of revenge, that turns the stomach.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, peterms said:

I've seen the £200K mentioned before in relation to the cost of a sprinkler system for Grenfell.  That seems absurdly low to retrofit a sprinkler system in a 24-storey building to be honest.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I'd have thought people in the UK would be delighted that a run down area of the Union has secured some extra funding , instead it seems to all be about us us us and **** them  :P

If you believe there is no magic money tree as all Tories surely must, then the only conclusion must be that this sum of money must have come from somewhere, from some budget at least. I think it would be prudent of the Prime Minister in the spirit of open government to tell us which projects or departments she's taken this money from to buy the votes of these ten constituencies

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Risso said:

I've seen the £200K mentioned before in relation to the cost of a sprinkler system for Grenfell.  That seems absurdly low to retrofit a sprinkler system in a 24-storey building to be honest.

I agree.  It might be the cost of sticking some sprinklers in common parts (the areas which won't burn because they're, er, concrete), but if they can do it for that price in a way that involves fitting them unobtrusively in all rooms of 120 flats, making good, reinstating decs and generally doing the job they way you would expect it done in your own home, then I'd like to see the costings, and I have a couple of jobs I can put their way.

But since we are talking about renovation works which apparently aimed to fit boilers to the walls in such a way that the front doors would no longer open fully, perhaps the thinking is that anything will do.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Risso said:

Nah its just watering cans and strips of metal that bend in the heat, not a proper sprinkler system, it is social housing after all

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

North of Oxford?

Cue more anti Corbyn posts on FB from dumbass Tory voters trying to deflect the flack.

Theresa May must be one of the most stupid PMs this country has ever had, in fact DC wasn't exactly Brain of Britain either.

13 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's a classic tory minister performance.

In the absence of an argument, and being unwilling to answer the question, but faced with the requirement to speak, simply utter words.  One after the other.  if you can form sentences, so much the better.  They don't need to make sense, they just need to wind down the clock until the interview is over.  Any words will do: colourless green ideas sleep furiously, for example.  One word, then another, and another, with an air of authority and affecting an air of reasonableness.  Oh, time's up, must dash, bye.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Two things. 1) James is absolutely spot on here. The funding given to DUP harms democracy in NI, which could easily harm the GFPA. Tories have literally given DUP the chance to turn to the public and say 'see what we can do for you' - it becomes a dangerous game with democracy when NI needs stability. But I guess as long as May can stay in her job, issues in NI are worth it.

Secondly, Tory ministers never answer questions. Ever. But they have become so used to not being held to account - this is why it seems so strange when they are and their only reply is to babble on giving the same set answers.

• Like 1

Â