General Election 2017

ender4

35 minutes ago, PaulC said:

or a small Tory majority. 

So after the election where May's stock has plummeted, how badly she handled the tower block fire, her jumping into bed with religious zealots, the Tories would increase their seats if another election was called?

The logic of the electorate...

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I woukdnt be so sure of that. If mays in charge they will lose 

I don't think it would be a Corbyn landslide, I don't think the tower block fire would cause too many tory supporters to change there minds. They may be another swing towards Corbyn but I dont think it would be massive.

12 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

So after the election where May's stock has plummeted, how badly she handled the tower block fire, her jumping into bed with religious zealots, the Tories would increase their seats if another election was called?

Shock horror i agree with Stefan !

39 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Its possible Labour could gain more seats, however The Tories fought a terrible campaign and wouldn't make that mistake again. May would be replaced. Whether people believe them or not I cant see many people who voted for Conservatives changing their vote. 

42 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its possible Labour could gain more seats, however The Tories fought a terrible campaign and wouldn't make that mistake again. May would be replaced. Whether people believe them or not I cant see many people who voted for Conservatives changing their vote. 

I think Survation were pretty close to the exit poll and eventual result

54 minutes ago, PaulC said:

They can't not make the same mistake again. They've battered every age group as much as they can in the last seven years, the only age group left to attack financially is the one that elects them, they tried that last time and had to u-turn. So they are in a position of HAVING to attack their core vote financially, whilst killing them with their policies. They also have no electable leaders.

If the LIb Dems elect Vince Cable as leader, I can see many Tories jumping ship to them, Cable's quite liked in the older age groups. So the next election is about some Labour gains, Lib Dem gains, Tory and SNP losses

And if this government lasts 3 years, I also expect it to be about rejoining the EU

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

They can't not make the same mistake again. They've battered every age group as much as they can in the last seven years, the only age group left to attack financially is the one that elects them, they tried that last time and had to u-turn. So they are in a position of HAVING to attack their core vote financially, whilst killing them with their policies. They also have no electable leaders.

If the LIb Dems elect Vince Cable as leader, I can see many Tories jumping ship to them, Cable's quite liked in the older age groups. So the next election is about some Labour gains, Lib Dem gains, Tory and SNP losses

And if this government lasts 3 years, I also expect it to be about rejoining the EU

I cant see either of what you wrote in your last two paragraphs happening. 

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

I agree, I like Cable 

3 hours ago, blandy said:

It's interesting with Corbyn. Having spent most of his time as an MP having had absolutely no desire for Leadership of Labour, or to be PM, and having been in the ballot for Labour leadership, initially only because it was "his turn" to be the token hard lefty, then having got elected as leader, survived an attempt to get rid of him, based (at least in part) on his poor performance in the job and having started off the election campaign badly, as well...then when the manifesto was released, then when May was exposed to the light...since that point he's looked better, behaved better, spoken better, been elevated because May has been so terrible and now it seems ot me he actually, genuinely wants to be PM. He's obviously been energised and enjoyed the campaign and all the people who went to his rallies and so on. I wonder if his new found thirst for power will lead to him leaving a few of his long held beliefs behind? If he does you might be partly on the right lines -  Though I'm not sure he's shown "he's well suited" to be PM (yet), which isn't meant to be a comment so much about him, as meaning that I don't think anyone ever generally shows they will be good as PM. It's fairly easy to spot who will be bad ones, but harder to pick out people who will end up being good at it.

The tories have such a poor choice, that he looks "better" by default.

I think there will also be more scrutiny on him next time around  .. he got an easy ride from the public to an extent because he was seen as being picked on by the nasty media and also because the Tories didn't put anyone directly up against him , just joined the smear campaign ... I don't think certain areas of the public would necessarily take to a Hammond or a Davis , but equally they have both played the game long enough and would be able to take Corbyn on directly and articulately at his own game  ... remember Corbyn kinda needs to win 60+  seats , all a Hammond or a Davis type has to do is convince a few hundred voters in a few marginals (on paper at least)  , so arguably it's a much easier task for them than for Corbyn

unless of course the Tories implode into civil war in the meantime

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I think there will also be more scrutiny on him next time around  .. he got an easy ride from the public to an extent because he was seen as being picked on by the nasty media and also because the Tories didn't put anyone directly up against him , just joined the smear campaign ... I don't think certain areas of the public would necessarily take to a Hammond or a Davis , but equally they have both played the game long enough and would be able to take Corbyn on directly and articulately at his own game  ... remember Corbyn kinda needs to win 60+  seats , all a Hammond or a Davis type has to do is convince a few hundred voters in a few marginals (on paper at least)  , so arguably it's a much easier task for them than for Corbyn

unless of course the Tories implode into civil war in the meantime

Possibly there will be more scrutiny, though I wonder if there will actually be less  - for the reason that the way the medai works, a bit, is that he would be a "known entity" by next time. This time round he was kind of new, in election terms.

Also the next election might be more on policy than the last one, which Labour did on policy, and like you say the tories and their rags did on "Corbyn is bad".

Oh, and finally I think the current portrayal and perception of Corbyn  is as false as was the portrayal of May when she was hailed as just what the country needed and before she demonstrated for all to see that she most certainly isn't. Corbyn (IMO) is equally unsuitable, but he has momentum, whereas the tories are decaying in front of our eyes..

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

he got an easy ride from the public

Not at all.

You obviously missed the screaming war-mongering nutters. Or the ones who called him a pacifist as well as those who called him a terrorist sympathiser. He was questioned very hard on the live shows he was on - including from the man who didn't want to pay his staff a living wage, or the Tory student who didn't want to lose his ZHC. 

Edited by DK82
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Not at all.

You obviously missed the screaming war-mongering nutters. Or the ones who called him a pacifist as well as those who called him a terrorist sympathiser. He was questioned very hard on the live shows he was on - including from the man who didn't want to pay his staff a living wage, or the Tory student who didn't want to lose his ZHC. 

Just been looking at some of the FB posts about the Queen's speech, and there are loads and loads of nutters foaming at the mouth about Corbyn not bowing to HM. They really do get angry about it - this shows that he is a terrorist traitor that should be executed for treason, utter scum, that sort of thing. It's quite remarkable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Just been looking at some of the FB posts about the Queen's speech, and there are loads and loads of nutters foaming at the mouth about Corbyn not bowing to HM. They really do get angry about it - this shows that he is a terrorist traitor that should be executed for treason, utter scum, that sort of thing. It's quite remarkable. 

I don't know how people get so worked up about nothing. It does shock me. I think it's a minority though. They're quite vocal so stand out more.

Â