General Election 2017

ender4

8 hours ago, DK82 said:

All manifestos are bribes, unless it benefits the rich and then it is a sweetener, right? The other thing is, the REAL Tory manifesto is one which will hit everybody the hardest - and that manifesto (uncosted) is what they release when they think they are a mile ahead in the polls. What manifesto do they have when they realise people do not want austerity? Simply, they do not.

I'm not rich but I am well off. I could easily say '**** it' and not care about others. But I see the impact cuts have on the community, from toilets and libraries closing, to autistic kids not getting the extra care they need, people having operations cancelled, people - nurses, firemen, police and more - having to go to foodbanks because they cannot afford to feed themselves, their kids, as well as funding clothing or rent - from properties which are on the market for such a high amount that they couldn't even dream of getting on the housing market. When they do apply to have help with housing money, it goes straight into the pockets of private landlords who skimp on making sure the house is fit to live in and then go and vote Tory because they know they can save money by voting for those who protect the rich.

So when a 'bribe' comes up which offers people a better way of life, security, healthcare, housing and more. What exactly do you think they will say? No thanks, I'll fund my landlords lavish lifestyle and enjoy the benefits of Tory rule poverty.

P.S, completely disagree with you on politics. But I honestly respect the debate. Wish May was more like you ;) 

Your post deserves a longer reply but I'm off to work now and will endeavour to come back to it later 

but the PS is appreciated (and mutual ) ...I enjoy the debates here  by and large,  I wouldn't be here if I didn't ,sometimes I even sit here and think "could they be right about Corbyn " ....then I slap myself around the face a bit and say nah :) 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I had to google her 

You honestly had to Google Kezia Dugdale? I thought you took an interest in politics? Have you heard of Ruth Davidson and Nicola Sturgeon?

Suddenly it all makes sense.

14 minutes ago, darrenm said:

You honestly had to Google Kezia Dugdale? I thought you took an interest in politics? Have you heard of Ruth Davidson and Nicola Sturgeon?

Suddenly it all makes sense.

Of course I have , one was married to Harley Davidson and the other one is the leader of the UK

but , my interest in politics extends about as far as VT amd watching This week ( sometimes Question Time but the audience are too annoying for me at times ) .. ok , I do also read up on things but quite often it's after it's been mentioned here and I like to see what it's about , same way as I can't watch a historical type TV show without stopping to google it to see if it was true Every 5 minutes !!

Dugdale isn't a household name , least not in my household :) and what with all the mass resignations and sackings from Labours front bench since Corbyn took over I'd imagine most people struggle to keep up with who's who :)

Edited by tonyh29

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Ultimately you are right and May did call it , but a few article I've read suggest she didn't want to and allowed herself to be persuaded to call it ... you can argue that actually shows her as a weak leader but  i don't doubt her eyes lit up at some point of the idea of coming back with a huge majority (ha) .... but I actually wonder if it was party interest rather than self interest that was the rationale behind it ? 

Regardless of if she was advised or not, it was her decision. Her eyes might not have lit up but I do think she would have found the prospect of actually being elected PM appealing, funny old world aye.

I'm struggling to see the party interest angle really. The election came at great financial cost to the Conservative party, I doubt many sitting MP's welcomed it and I'm struggling to see that the party's interests wee served by it or would have been greatly even with a different outcome.

That May's advisors both quit suggests the role they had in the decision which supports the view it wasn't her idea but doesn't support the idea that the party was behind it.

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

A reference work listing who owns whos?

:)

I was working my way through the countless  typos and retardnss and you got there before me 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Ultimately you are right and May did call it , but a few article I've read suggest she didn't want to and allowed herself to be persuaded to call it

The account she gave was that the notion of calling the election came to her while on a walking holiday.  Sounds like Jesus wandering in the desert for 40 days, being tempted by the Devil.  Or was it Phil who persuaded her?

23 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Of course I have , one was married to Harley Davidson and the other one is the leader of the UK

but , my interest in politics extends about as far as VT amd watching This week ( sometimes Question Time but the audience are too annoying for me at times ) .. ok , I do also read up on things but quite often it's after it's been mentioned here and I like to see what it's about , same way as I can't watch a historical type TV show without stopping to google it to see if it was true Every 5 minutes !!

Dugdale isn't a household name , least not in my household :) and what with all the mass resignations and sackings from Labours front bench since Corbyn took over I'd imagine most people struggle to keep up with who's who :)

I'll fill you in. She's the leader of the Scottish Labia Party

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, peterms said:

The account she gave was that the notion of calling the election came to her while on a walking holiday.  Sounds like Jesus wandering in the desert for 40 days, being tempted by the Devil.  Or was it Phil who persuaded her?

Walking in fields of wheat I assume?

28 minutes ago, peterms said:

was trying to find the article I'd read about it  , whilst looking through Google , on page 2 there is a search result

Jean-Claude Junker told Theresa May to call the election | Daily Mail ...

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article.../Jean-Claude-Junker-told-Theresa-call-election.html

11 Jun 2017 - Mr Juncker reportedly urged Mrs May to call the election because he was worried the the big issues around Brexit - like a possible divorce bill ...

presumably this was the Mails attempt at blaming it all on Europe , surprised the Express didn't beat them to it :)

wasn't the article I was looking for FWIW , I'll keep searching as it was quite a good read

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

was trying to find the article I'd read about it  , whilst looking through Google , on page 2 there is a search result

Try "may election walking", it gives several articles, both the dead woman walking and the walking holiday.

Just now, Designer1 said:

I actually thought you might have been referencing her liking of ladies, but that clip is great :D

It's the stoic expression throughout that gets me :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

I actually thought you might have been referencing her liking of ladies, but that clip is great :D

It's hard not to think that was somewhere at the back of the presenter's mind...

• Like 1

Â