General Election 2017

ender4

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Where is this line being "trotted "out ?

who mentioned May or even tried to defend her , I certainly haven't (not ever to my knowledge )

i just read a twitter from a group whose aim is to do whatever it takes to get Corbyn elected ( I think it's them , dunno are there more than one group ? ) and found the whole thing kinda amusing and to use my favourite political word Hypercritical

but hey ho , next people will be saying that triple lock wasn't a bribe to buy pensioner votes previously and it's removal by May didn't have any impact  

No they won't though.

On 05/06/2017 at 13:56, HanoiVillan said:

It's not a policy that makes a great deal of sense. The proportion of uni intakes who received free school meals has actually increased over the life of the policy, and repealing it just isn't important. 

That being said, Corbyn needs young people to turn out to vote on Thursday. This policy, which is basically a bribe, needs to understood in that context, and I would hope, if by some miracle Labour win, that it would significantly de-prioritised. 

Oh dear 

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

it wouldn't be as interesting a debate if someone wasn't prepared to play devil's advocate

Personally, I'm all for it. The billion pound cash bung, I mean. She's heading for another election 

I doubt she is tbh

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

For a party trying to elect a man whose manifesto was built on bribes i find the irony quite amusing 

let me guess promises on scrapping tution fees wasn't a bribe it was in the national interest

Do... you understand what a manifesto is?

Also, I know the conservatives had one, didn't have one, changed it, didn't cost it, deleted it and then found the money tree to pay the DUP after the deletion, but you must know what a manifesto does?

I still remember Cameron 'bribing' the country with the EU referendum and **** up the country, something May has been happy to continue with.

Edited by DK82
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I doubt she is tbh

I don't think even her lust for power would result in an end to elections. Elections will only end once the people have democratically voted for the ultimate system.

I think she's lucky in some ways that she's actually managed to stink up the place so badly, few on her side would want to go through it all again and even less would fancy being in charge at such a time. But, 'events', nobody can predict what weird and wonderful events will happen between now and her next walking holiday. I've got it at about 50/50 that she'll need to go for another election within quite a short period of time (2 years ish). I've based this on my exhaustive scientific analysis of twitter hash tags.

7 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Do... you understand what a manifesto is?

Also, I know the conservatives had one, didn't have one, changed it, didn't cost it, deleted it and then found the money tree to pay the DUP after the deletion, but you must know what a manifesto does?

I still remember Cameron 'bribing' the country with the EU referendum and **** up the country, something May has been happy to continue with.

I'm fairly sure the phrase Cameron bribing the country was indeed used  on this forum in regards to the referendum , it's exactly what it was , it probably got him elected which he  didn't expect , and maybe wishes it hadn't !!

I suspect had Corbyn won ( I mean won where he came first not the version where he came second and won ) he'd have woken up Friday morning thinking **** why did I put all those things in my manifesto !! 

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I don't think even her lust for power would result in an end to elections. Elections will only end once the people have democratically voted for the ultimate system.

That wasn't what I said you menace :)

Just now, tonyh29 said:

That wasn't what I said you menace :)

To be honest, I'm just waffling around, rather than ironing tomorrow's shirt and sorting out a memory stick for a meeting.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

To be honest, I'm just waffling around, rather than ironing tomorrow's shirt and sorting out a memory stick for a meeting.

Know that feeling , I was trying to watch the last episode of Jamestown and thought I'll just pop in the GE thread during the adverts !!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm fairly sure the phrase Cameron bribing the country was indeed used  on this forum in regards to the referendum , it's exactly what it was , it probably got him elected which he  didn't expect , and maybe wishes it hadn't !!

I suspect had Corbyn won ( I mean won where he came first not the version where he came second and won ) he'd have woken up Friday morning thinking **** why did I put all those things in my manifesto !! 

All manifestos are bribes, unless it benefits the rich and then it is a sweetener, right? The other thing is, the REAL Tory manifesto is one which will hit everybody the hardest - and that manifesto (uncosted) is what they release when they think they are a mile ahead in the polls. What manifesto do they have when they realise people do not want austerity? Simply, they do not.

I'm not rich but I am well off. I could easily say '**** it' and not care about others. But I see the impact cuts have on the community, from toilets and libraries closing, to autistic kids not getting the extra care they need, people having operations cancelled, people - nurses, firemen, police and more - having to go to foodbanks because they cannot afford to feed themselves, their kids, as well as funding clothing or rent - from properties which are on the market for such a high amount that they couldn't even dream of getting on the housing market. When they do apply to have help with housing money, it goes straight into the pockets of private landlords who skimp on making sure the house is fit to live in and then go and vote Tory because they know they can save money by voting for those who protect the rich.

So when a 'bribe' comes up which offers people a better way of life, security, healthcare, housing and more. What exactly do you think they will say? No thanks, I'll fund my landlords lavish lifestyle and enjoy the benefits of Tory rule poverty.

P.S, completely disagree with you on politics. But I honestly respect the debate. Wish May was more like you ;) 

Edited by DK82

Was out with a staunch tory friend of mine last night, he believes that May isn't responsible for the cash to the DUP, its down to those people that voted to get a hung parliament, and he believes that Labours coalition with the SNP would cost ten times more. Interesting evening. 

49 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Was out with a staunch tory friend of mine last night, he believes that May isn't responsible for the cash to the DUP, its down to those people that voted to get a hung parliament, and he believes that Labours coalition with the SNP would cost ten times more. Interesting evening. 

Just a question here,  there are 5 Tory MP's who would like some development within there constituencies.  

What is to stop them knocking on May's door and demanding X million per MP for 2 years votes in the commons ? Is there inner party rules for that or what if 5 of them just turned independent over night, can that happen do you think.  There is also the fact that MP's die I suppose so what happens then ? 

39 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Just a question here,  there are 5 Tory MP's who would like some development within there constituencies.  

What is to stop them knocking on May's door and demanding X million per MP for 2 years votes in the commons ? Is there inner party rules for that or what if 5 of them just turned independent over night, can that happen do you think.  There is also the fact that MP's die I suppose so what happens then ? 

He is a fairly blinkered man, but he got quite animated that May has done nothing wrong, I quoted the magic money tree line to him and he bristled. I think tory voters have been a little shown up by all this and will look to be "dont look here, look over there instead".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I hope you explained the notion of democracy to him and noted the fact an election wasn't due and was called by May through self interest.

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I hope you explained the notion of democracy to him and noted the fact an election wasn't due and was called by May through self interest.

He ignored that bit. He conceded that May was on borrowed time but couldn't offer up anyone to take her place.

15 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Ultimately you are right and May did call it , but a few article I've read suggest she didn't want to and allowed herself to be persuaded to call it ... you can argue that actually shows her as a weak leader but  i don't doubt her eyes lit up at some point of the idea of coming back with a huge majority (ha) .... but I actually wonder if it was party interest rather than self interest that was the rationale behind it ? 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

... but I actually wonder if it was party interest rather than self interest that was the rationale behind it ? 

I think the one thing we can categorically rule out is country interest*.

Well, not spelled like that at least.

*yes, I know that national interest would be the more traditional term.

• Like 1

Â