Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

15 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I don't get this mass helicopter circling thing. They're so easy to take out if you've got the gear (which it appears Ukraine has). Couple that with forests and they're bound to lose a lot of them.. Wasn't this tactic thoroughly disbanded in Mogadishu?

For sure - those pesky Mogadishu forests are tricky

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Find out my pension is going to be worth £7k a year less than I thought on Tuesday evening, not been the best of weeks.

I’ve stopped looking at mine. Every year the prediction is less than the year before. Really depressing.

12 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I don't get this mass helicopter circling thing. They're so easy to take out if you've got the gear (which it appears Ukraine has). Couple that with forests and they're bound to lose a lot of them.. Wasn't this tactic thoroughly disbanded in Mogadishu?

At a wild guess,  It's better to wait I suspect from a tactical POV even though as you say they are sitting ducks.  They are sitting ducks for a reason.  They are circling to look for resistance,  today is not the day to attack.

If you are going to use SAM's / Anti Aircraft then the timing is vital,  don't give away the positions just yet.  It is too early IMO.

Once they are used Russia will total destroy them and anything around them.  Wait until,  max impact and max confusion,  make it look like freindly fire if possible + at night for 100% sure.

(This is the mistake made by Iraq,  we flew in drones only and they let rip with Anti Aircraft fire,  this just told the UK / US where the AA was and it was destroyed easily with cruise IIRC with almost no loss of life at all)

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ve stopped looking at mine. Every year the prediction is less than the year before. Really depressing.

Went on strike for seven days, no pay for that, on the 7th night they announce they're going to go with the employer's proposals anyway. Personal finances not looking great. 

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Putin is clearly bored, but this smacks of a miscalculation - it makes Nato stronger and cripples the Russian economy. He might be doing a Chris Benoit.

This really tickled me. Of all the analogous things I’ve read over the past few days, I didn’t expect to hear his name mentioned. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

This really tickled me. Of all the analogous things I’ve read over the past few days, I didn’t expect to hear his name mentioned. 

Haha - the guy's a legend, we all used to do the throat cut gesture and then he went mad and we had a documentary showing a before and after slice of his brain. Legend. 

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Putin is clearly bored, but this smacks of a miscalculation - it makes Nato stronger and cripples the Russian economy. He might be doing a Chris Benoit.

I'm trying to figure this one out

Have to say I kinda expected the next wave of sanctions to come a bit quicker than they have. I appreciate there's a lot of things that need to come together for them to happen though. I'm probably just very naive about how all of this works. 

6 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I really don't know what the correct response is to this. Us getting involved by sending troops over probably isn't the right answer but so is doing nothing. 

Ukraine is the global frontline in the fight for Democracy, pluralism and human rights. If the GOP were in power, they'd be cheering on Russia while taking notes. But American air strikes or even troops on the ground could make a bad situation much worse. The last thing we need in the US is hacked power grids and pipelines. And the spectre of nuclear war cannot be ignored. 

The strategy will probably be to make the oligarchs feel maximum financial pain while arming Ukraine to the teeth and providing intelligence and humanitarian help.

Now would also be a good time for the CIA and MI6 to massage public opinion inside Russia. 

• Like 1

Â