Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

2 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Except that Putin is a massive sports fan, it'll hurt his pride immensely. Move anything relating to sports, activities etc out of Russia and don't let him back in until he gives back all the territories.

My point was, it would be the right thing to do regardless. 

If it also makes a real difference, even better of course. 

• Like 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

2 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

For different reasons though.

Farage because he's about as right wing as you can be and quite admires what Putin is doing trying to rebuild the Russian Empire and given the chance would like to see us doing the same.

Corbyn because he's an old anti-war hippy that thinks that we can all get along by singing Kumbaya round the camp fire with a joint and good intentions. That if we decided we wanted to give up our weapons that other countries would see the light.

Both are equally as dangerous.

Actually I think it's for entirely the same reason

Follow the money

Question. If someone did take Putin out, who would follow him? 

I imagine his regime is full of similar minded people, would cutting off one head just sprout another? 

Or has he surrounded himself with weak sicophants who would easily be disposed of by some other party? 

4 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Except that Putin is a massive sports fan, it'll hurt his pride immensely. Move anything relating to sports, activities etc out of Russia and don't let him back in until he gives back all the territories.

He’s rebuilding the Tsarist Russian Empire, imo. Sanctions, sports etc. are measures we’re taking so we can do something, not to try and change his calculus. He’s a man on a mission. 

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What's the best outcome we can hope for realistically? Either the west is at war with Russia, which could really just be The End, or we give them the green light to invade any region it sees fit to,  as long as it isn't in NATO?

Ukraine cedes half the country to Putin, the west put some hand shaking opportunity together to back slap some sort of peaceful end to it all that suits everyone who isn't Ukrainian, Russia gets a lot of very valuable real estate, our cost of living goes up, life goes back to normal, Putin gets brave and in 10 years picks another one 

That said I'm not sure if any of the other have much value, definitely not as much, he already effectively has Belarus, maybe he goes after some of the southern countries further away from Europe that no one will care about 

12 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Banning all Russian teams and athletes from international competition seems like a no brainer at this point, even if it might not achieve anything. 

I think it’s needed to show it’s not just Western politicians that thing this is out of order. 

I’d just like to note that it’s a very good thing this man is not currently the PM.

I thought it was just Tobias ‘send a Division’ Elwood with delusions of adequacy, but apparently not. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

I’d just like to note that it’s a very good thing this man is not currently the PM.

I thought it was just Tobias ‘send a Division’ Elwood with delusions of adequacy, but apparently not. 

The next tweet in his thread says 'It will also reduce the risk of escalation'!

Dunno whether to go with :blink:😬 or :crylaugh:

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would think this to be honest

tenor.gif

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Putin isn't reversing course on a historic invasion of a neighbouring country because a grand prix or a Champions League final might be cancelled, the idea is tonto. 

It is probably a morally appropriate response, however. 

HAAS may have to rethink their definitely-not-a-russian-flag livery 

skysports-haas-f1-2021_5292210.jpg

• Like 2

Video out now of several Russian helicopters being shot down near Gosomel - just flashed by on NBC.. I don't think it's going fully to plan.

Someone's good with the shoulder launcher..

Edited by magnkarl

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Putin isn't reversing course on a historic invasion of a neighbouring country because a grand prix or a Champions League final might be cancelled, the idea is tonto. 

It is probably a morally appropriate response, however. 

You’re absolutely right, but best case scenario it nudges a few people in the right direction and makes a tiny dent in his domestic popularity, which is better than nothing.

And again, as you say, it’s just the right thing to do. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Absolutely serious that people this irresponsible should be nowhere near positions of executive responsibility. The risks of accidental escalation between Russia and NATO are non-trivial, and that's without fools who are in government mouth-breathing across social media. 

• Like 4

I don't get this mass helicopter circling thing. They're so easy to take out if you've got the gear (which it appears Ukraine has). Couple that with forests and they're bound to lose a lot of them.. Wasn't this tactic thoroughly disbanded in Mogadishu?

Â