Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I don't disagree , but has any nation shown any effective diplomacy in this crises ? , its been clear what Putin was going to do for months , all these leaders meeting him over his large table was just boosting his image back home whilst he used them for his  propaganda ..

I realise this is maybe my fault, but I'm not really saying our diplomacy was ineffective because we did it poorly, but because we largely do not matter. Russia met Cabinet members, not the PM (contrast to France and Germany). In truth, we have been little involved since 2014; the countries primarily involved in the Minsk process (other than the protagonists, obviously) were the US, France and Germany. 

17 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

On the whole sanctions and action topic  , do you think the UK government deleted the world leaders from its phone contacts , unplugged the internet and thought , "we'll go this alone ?" ..I'd imagine most of the world leaders , have been in constant dialogue ,  and presumably have come up with a level of agreed format of what the course of action will be (or lack of)

I agree with you; weak sanctions have been a feature of all 'western' responses so far, including America. This is fundamentally a weakness of sanctions as a tool, rather then the will or steel of western governments. Sanctions are generally best at punishing weak, small economies like North Korea or Iran, not giant natural resource behemoths like Russia. In addition, because there are so few military options to deal with Russia, we have used sanctions repeatedly in the past, including for stuff that used to be considered too trivial for sanctions like the hacks a couple of years ago (can't remember what they were called, SolarBears or something?). Russia has learned to live with sanctions; they are an annoyance but not an impediment to action. We are also limited by economic reality, as @LondonLax pointed out yesterday; the public are likely to be even less fussed about Ukrainian sovereignty when oil is $150 a barrel and inflation is running over 10%. This also has an effect on political reality as well; Germans don't want the gas to go off, Macron wants to win an election in a few weeks. Sanctions won't help with either. 

23 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Our government should have and still needs to be doing more ( and hopefully it will ,in co-ordination with the rest of the world ) ....  its unlikely anyone on a football forum twinned with Mumsnet is going to have a solution to this crises  , but I'd be interested to see what exactly people think the UK should be doing , other than giving back donations to Tory donors  :) 

My honest belief is that sometimes there are situations where there are no good options, and this is one of them. I doubt making the Tory party give money back to Lubov Chernukhin would make any difference at all (it might arguably be good for other reasons to do with probity in politics, but Vlad isn't changing course because of it). It's hard to accept, especially for British people I think, that sometimes things happen and you just can't do much about them, but again we're not the 'main character' here. 

• Like 2

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Does this mean I should go out and buy some toilet roll?

Where are you? You may not have time to shit yourself :D

Next to Heathrow here. I'll be carbon in less than 2 seconds.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If he uses nukes, the US will use nukes, is he honestly prepared to see Russia wiped off the map all for the sake of taking Ukraine?

I would agree,  but right now i am genuinely concerned about his sanity and if he actually has a grip on reality. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would agree,  but right now i am genuinely concerned about his sanity and if he actually has a grip on reality. 

In that unfortunate scenario you've got to hope there's someone in the room that realises it's a psychopaths' willy waving competition, and puts a bullet in his head.

No point in worrying about it. Buy yourself a nice bottle of grog.

47 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

There’s going to be so much propaganda and misinformation over the coming weeks or months, it’s going to be nigh on impossible to know what’s actually accurate.

That's the one thing we know for sure...... Other than that Russian TV reporter being attacked that was on here yesterday. 

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was thinking the same thing,  I don't think he is very well mentally but I also think (and hope) he is physically ill.  He doesn't look a well man IMO.  (We should hope it's stage 3 pancreatic)

The timing is odd,  it's like he has found out a clock is ticking somewhere.  

1 minute ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I was thinking the same thing,  I don't think he is very well mentally but I also think (and hope) he is physically ill.  He doesn't look a well man IMO.  (We should hope it's stage 3 pancreatic)

The timing is odd,  it's like he has found out a clock is ticking somewhere.  

He was probably waiting for social distancing requirements to be dropped so he could have more than 1 person in a tank at a time.

In seriousness though, he is in a hurry for some reason.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Xann said:

Where are you? You may not have time to shit yourself :D

Next to Heathrow here. I'll be carbon in less than 2 seconds.

Don’t forget to keep your freedom, if a nuclear missile comes you don’t want to be locked in - get out, claim your freedom. 

• Like 1

Â