Germany v England/England v Lithuania

andykeenan

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

English fans are horrific travellers.  Particularly because of the ridiculous amount of alcohol, complete lack of any respect for the culture of the other country and then, of course, trashing the place.

I'd say all the British and Irish fans have a lack of respect of the culture and drink (for this throw in Dutch, German)  just as much as the English. As for trashing the place, again I've definitely seen images of other nations doing that, Italy are atrocious. Not excusing the English but it seems easier to criticise them.

• Like 2

It goes back many years with England though doesn't it when it was organised right wing nationalistic groups that travelled just for the aggro. I think with the Irish its different they just like a drink

Edited by PaulC

My experience from the euros when I watched 4 games and spent time with Czech Republic, Croatia, Romania, Albania, Northern Ireland and Ukraine fans is the locals and the organisers treated England fans like utter words removed, Romania were fighting amongst themselves, Croatia were throwing flares on the pitch...England fans were pissing in the street because all the bars shut and UEFA didn't put enough facilities on

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I'd say all the British and Irish fans have a lack of respect of the culture and drink (for this throw in Dutch, German)  just as much as the English. As for trashing the place, again I've definitely seen images of other nations doing that, Italy are atrocious. Not excusing the English but it seems easier to criticise them.

It's not just that it's easier to criticise English fans (and of course it is, I don't know how to write 'stop throwing beer bottles' in Italian, or who I should address the complaint to) but that, being English myself, I'd like to hold England fans to a higher standard. 

We shouldn't have to compare with other nationalities, I'm embarrassed by it whether or not Italian fans are making monkey noises, or Russian fans are attackinging innocent locals.

There's a significant portion of England fans that need to grow up but I doubt it would ever happen. I'd be happy to see the FA take it a little more seriously.

• Like 4

How? Like or not every club team in the country has that lad element of their away support, villa has it, make no doubt about it if villa were playing Dortmund we would be in that square drinking, we would trash it, we would boo the anthem, we would sing ten German bombers 

it's a huge part of English football

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

How? Like or not every club team in the country has that lad element of their away support, villa has it, make no doubt about it if villa were playing Dortmund we would be in that square drinking, we would trash it, we would boo the anthem, we would sing ten German bombers 

Those Villa fans need to grow up as well.

• Like 1

It's not going to happen, the lad culture surrounding away days is getting worse, social media is all over it

as for accepting it, I'm not saying that you should but at the same time I'm saying I don't know how you stop it without it being detrimental to football

and yeah from my experience it is true, we didn't trash Hamburg (Ajax did) but we sang ten German bombers in the town, on the train and in the ground, last year Everton trashed Lille, Chelsea trashed paris, half of it isn't even reported anymore 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is that actually true? I don't constantly read reports about Arsenal fans trashing Munich or singing ten German bombers every year when they draw Bayern. 

And even if it is true, just because 'it's a huge part of English football' doesn't mean that we should like it, or just shrug our shoulders and say, 'well, what can you do? It's a huge part of English football after all'. 

Big problem I think is with England is a lot of lower league teams fans follow them, you just have to look at the flags in the stands in major tournaments to see that.

Going to plenty of league one games away in recent years the mentality is a little different to the sanitised fans you increasingly get at premier league level.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is that actually true? I don't constantly read reports about Arsenal fans trashing Munich or singing ten German bombers every year when they draw Bayern. 

And even if it is true, just because 'it's a huge part of English football' doesn't mean that we should like it, or just shrug our shoulders and say, 'well, what can you do? It's a huge part of English football after all'. 

I think its a part expense, part novelty thing.

I appreciate I'm making a massive generalization here, but those who can afford to follow Arsenal all over Europe every season are less likely to be loutish, laddy type characters. Whereas, when England organize a fixture in Germany every four or five years (I know its been twice in last two years) the less regular/flush supporters target it in advance.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Huge part of football in general. Every club, every nation. 

14 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I'd say all the ... Irish fans have a lack of respect of the culture and drink just as much as the English.

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

It's not going to happen, the lad culture surrounding away days is getting worse, social media is all over it

as for accepting it, I'm not saying that you should but at the same time I'm saying I don't know how you stop it without it being detrimental to football

and yeah from my experience it is true, we didn't trash Hamburg (Ajax did) but we sang ten German bombers in the town, on the train and in the ground, last year Everton trashed Lille, Chelsea trashed paris, half of it isn't even reported anymore 

Personally, I don’t think it’s getting worse, I just think that social media makes it appear more regular/pronounced due to everybody being able to film and upload even the slightest incident within seconds.

Those looking for trouble with their club often target a specific game across a European campaign, so the Chelsea fans causing problems in Paris probably targeted that one game as its near and cheap, and they may well not have attended another euro away game that season (I’ve got nothing to back that up by the way). Everton too, it’s fairly simple to get to Lille so no major surprise that there were problems, potentially attracting that more loutish supporter.

Again, it was why there was so much trouble at the Euros in France last year, Germany 2006, Belgium 2000 etc they’re all very accessible and affordable, particularly when they are announced years in advance (that feeds into the discussion as to why Arsenal champions league fans are generally well behaved, because they are the sort of people that have the financial flexibility to make trips all over Europe at very short notice). Whereas with England, incidents in Brazil, South Africa, Japan etc were few and far between due to the time and financial investment needed to get out ther

I did it, as a very immature 18 year old. I drove to Cologne in 2006 for a few nights for England v Sweden and didn’t even watch the match, and there were a load of others out there (60,000 England I think they estimated to have been there in all) in a similar position. Very little time/financial investment and probably wasn’t any more expensive than a weekend in Blackpool.

Â