Germany v England/England v Lithuania

andykeenan

22 minutes ago, Nigel said:

So are England!

come on, germany are missing the worlds best goalkeeper, the worlds best RB has retired, 4 players who have moved for >£25m and marco reus

the only real good player we are missing is harry kane, i'll throw rooney in the mix because of his experience and goals but after that, danny rose, the myth that is jack wilshere, welbeck, sturridge? not on the same level

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

come on, germany are missing the worlds best goalkeeper, the worlds best RB has retired, 4 players who have moved for >£25m and marco reus

the only real good player we are missing is harry kane, i'll throw rooney in the mix because of his experience and goals but after that, danny rose, the myth that is jack wilshere, welbeck, sturridge? not on the same level

I meant we could do with them players!

• Like 1

Was quite surprised it was exactly a year ago that England came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 in Berlin. Vardy and Dier scored.

I actually thought England would do something at the euros after that...not win it as Germany were again below strength that night but at least play decent football and progress into the later stages.

And we all saw what happened so difficult to get excited even if England pull a decent result out as World cup is still 14 months away.

• Like 1

thats england for you....

giphy.gif

we always seem to have that 1 bollock tickling friendly performance before every tournament, beating the argies or spain or germany

i went to st etienne to watch the slovakia game last year, it was some of the most unpleasant utter shite ive ever had the displeasure of watching and that was after watching villa all season, then i came home and watched the iceland came...i might watch a bit of tonight because wednesday night tv is so bad but doubt i'll watch the full 90 minutes, cant remember the last time i watched a full non tournament england game, my interest in it has gone

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Was quite surprised it was exactly a year ago that England came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 in Berlin. Vardy and Dier scored.

I actually thought England would do something at the euros after that...not win it as Germany were again below strength that night but at least play decent football and progress into the later stages.

And we all saw what happened so difficult to get excited even if England pull a decent result out as World cup is still 14 months away.

In that game didn't Vardy come on and we had Kane and Vardy up front together. Two in form strikers, Hodgson should have built a team around them, instead he had to fit Rooney in stuck to his 4-3-3. Terrible choice as manager Hodgson. I hope Southgate is brave enough to make the tough decisions. We have gone down the successful club manager route so many times and the only time it worked was Alf Ramsey and to a lesser extent Bobby Robson. Southgate ticks most boxes, as he has played international football in competitions for England, managed the u21s. it doesn't matter whether he failed in club management as its totally different to International football.

roy to me wa the same as the last 3/4 england managers, did some good stuff in the qualifiers and friendlies, the switzerland away game was really impressive, then come the tournament he threw it all out the window and went for the big names, he was like a rabbit in the headlights

i'll judge southgate on the same, he can do whatever he likes this week, win both games playing really well with a formation that he likes, if we then get to russia and he changes that formation because sturridge is fit again then whats the point?

id like to think that the one shining light for england might just be that some of these superstars are dying out, people have got wise to them not performing, all this "we need to build the team around..." no we dont, we need to pick our formation, style and shape and then pick the best players to play it, i think ali and sterling may be the only 2 left and to be fair you can probably get those 2 to work in most formations, in previous tournaments we've been shoe horning in players because of their name

Edited by villa4europe

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

roy to me wa the same as the last 3/4 england managers, did some good stuff in the qualifiers and friendlies, the switzerland away game was really impressive, then come the tournament he threw it all out the window and went for the big names, he was like a rabbit in the headlights

i'll judge southgate on the same, he can do whatever he likes this week, win both games playing really well with a formation that he likes, if we then get to russia and he changes that formation because sturridge is fit again then whats the point?

id like to think that the one shining light for england might just be that some of these superstars are dying out, people have got wise to them not performing, all this "we need to build the team around..." no we dont, we need to pick our formation, style and shape and then pick the best players to play it, i think ali and sterling may be the only 2 left and to be fair you can probably get those 2 to work in most formations, in previous tournaments we've been shoe horning in players because of their name

yes but arguably the euros 2016 was our worst ever performance in a major tournament in which Hodgson picked a system and then players to fit it. If you have two really hot strikers, that's your strength and he should have utilised it. Its  gone now though. Sterling has been nothing but a let down. He might become good but he was crap in the euros and crap for Man city against Monaco.

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

All this fawning over a bang average Polish player like Podolski. :lol:

always liked the "polish" criticism of some of germany's players

podolski is from silesia, a region that for 200 years was part of the bohemian kingdom (czech) then for 200 years was part of the habsburg empire (austria) , then prussia (germany), then following the unification it was part of germany until after WW2 it came part of poland, its been polish for 71 years after 203 years of being german...

his grandparents could have been born in the same town as him and be german

Â