17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

13 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

The next round of fixtures is a chance to make up more ground...Leeds play Sheff Utd....assuming we win....

I would prefer a Leeds win or a draw as that brings us closer to Sheff Utd. A Sheff Utd win would mean we can overtake Leeds.

I think it’s better if the teams chasing us beat the teams above us, as it just helps squeeze the pack together, and we just need to keep doing what we doing!

I see Leeds as a bigger threat than sheff Utd - would rather anything but a Leeds win .

Ultimately though we have the squad to get promotion irrespective of what any other club does - long way to go yet and we will finish way clear of sheff Utd , same for Cardiff 

Edited by Eastie

34 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I see Leeds as a bigger threat than sheff Utd - would rather anything but a Leeds win .

Ultimately though we have the squad to get promotion irrespective of what any other club does - long way to go yet and we will finish way clear of sheff Utd , same for Cardiff 

You would have thought the same about reading and Huddersfield last season

One thing is for sure is that there will be teams up here that are a surprise.

Lets not forget about these teams just yet.

Edited by Nigel

16 hours ago, One For The Road said:

We have good home form and looking at the next few fixtures we could really kick on from here.

For me the Blues game is a 'must not lose rather than a 'must win' as confidence will play a big part in where we end up. 2 points from the next 2 followed by a few home wins would keep us on track.

Blues is a big 3 points for me, nothing more nothing less.

We can't start making excuses for dropping points against certain teams.

I honestly think we will muller blues, they'll be a bit fighty and I can see the likes of Whelan getting a red, but keep all 11 on the pitch and we'll win comfortably. Deffo need the win though to maintain our 2 point average. 

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

I honestly think we will muller blues, they'll be a bit fighty and I can see the likes of Whelan getting a red, but keep all 11 on the pitch and we'll win comfortably. Deffo need the win though to maintain our 2 point average. 

Just about to say the same thing. 

Unless the hostile atmosphere puts the willies up our attackers, our defence are hard old bastards who have mostly played in big games anyway (terry, chester, hutton, whelan).  Provided we can keep the ball and thus nullify the threat of their speedy forwards, I think we'll pick them off.  I think Conor is due another hat-trick :) 

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Just about to say the same thing. 

Unless the hostile atmosphere puts the willies up our attackers, our defence are hard old bastards who have mostly played in big games anyway (terry, chester, hutton, whelan).  Provided we can keep the ball and thus nullify the threat of their speedy forwards, I think we'll pick them off.  I think Conor is due another hat-trick :) 

Only worrying thing is that Blues have some of their better players back and they have pace with Adams and Vassell. Nullify that and we will win. 

21 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Small Heath (A)

Preston (A)

Sheff Wed (H)

QPR (A)

Sunderland (H)

Ipswich (H)

The next two are tough fixtures for very different reasons but after that we’ve 3 home games from 4 against sides currently not in good form.

If we can pick up 3 or 4 points from the next two to go into that run of fixtures we could be in great shape heading towards the turn of the year.

Opportunity knocks.

Agree. Especially as December looks like a really tough month. We have Leeds, Derby, Sheff Utd and Boro all in that month. It's imperative we give ourselves the foundation and confidence going into December. 

7 minutes ago, Dick said:

I can’t believe I am admitting this...

my confidence in promotion is growing.

My confidence in making the playoffs is growing... but my confidence in us being promoted remains the same, pretty low. Seen little to suggest we can have much confidence against the better teams. Fulham was good but not great but we need to start beating teams around us with more ease, especially at home. Maybe I'm still in shock from the gulf in quality between us and Wolves but we need some big results to start being serious about promotion, not just picking off the easier teams.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jareth said:

Deffo need the win though to maintain our 2 point average. 

We haven't got to 2 point average yet, to be able to start maintaining it.

We have to win our next 4 games in a row, just to get to a 2 point average.  :blink:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ender4 said:

We haven't got to 2 point average yet, to be able to start maintaining it.

We have to win our next 4 games in a row, just to get to a 2 point average.  :blink:

If we average 2 points a game for the remainder of the season from here on we will go up automatically - we have 21 from the last 10 so all is good .

88 points will do it . 

2 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

My confidence in making the playoffs is growing... but my confidence in us being promoted remains the same, pretty low. Seen little to suggest we can have much confidence against the better teams. Fulham was good but not great but we need to start beating teams around us with more ease, especially at home. Maybe I'm still in shock from the gulf in quality between us and Wolves but we need some big results to start being serious about promotion, not just picking off the easier teams.

Totally agree.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Wolves match. They are far better than any team in this division and will go up automatically.
As things stand, I think the best we can hope for is 5th/6th. Until we beat a team like Leeds/Wednesday/Cardiff away from home, I don't see us being anywhere near automatic promotion. It's all well and good beating the teams down the bottom but we need to beat top 6 teams and start taking points from them.

I'd prefer to go up in the playoffs anyway ;-)

Still top of the form table...ahead of Wolves!

1 Aston Villa 6   3 0 0 5 2   2 0 1 7 2   8 15
2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 6   3 0 0 7 3   2 0 1 6 3   7 15
3 Norwich City 6   0 2 0 1 1   4 0 0 5 1   4 14
4 Sheffield United 6   3 0 1 5 2   1 0 1 5 4   4 12
5 Bristol City 6   2 1 1 6 4   1 1 0 3 1   4 11
6 Cardiff City 6   1 2 0 4 2   2 0 1 3 2   3 11
7 Brentford 6   1 3 0 6 5   1 1 0 5 2   4 10
8 Millwall 6   3 0 1 6 4   0 1 1 0 1   1 10
9 Hull City 6   1 1 1 8 4   1 2 0 3 2   5 9
10 Preston North End 6   0 2 0 2 2   2 1 1 9 7   2 9
11 Derby County 6   2 1 0 5 1   0 2 1 2 5   1 9
12 Fulham 6   0 2 0 3 3   2 0 2 7 6   1 8
13 Birmingham City 6   2 0 1 3 3   0 1 2 2 9   -7 7
14 Ipswich Town 6   2 0 2 8 6   0 0 2 2 4   0 6
15 Middlesbrough 6   1 1 2 5 6   0 2 0 3 3   -1 6
16 Leeds United 6   1 0 1 3 3   1 0 3 4 7   -3 6
17 Nottingham Forest 6   2 0 2 6 6   0 0 2 1 4   -3 6
18 Reading 6   0 1 1 2 3   1 1 2 4 5   -2 5
19 Barnsley 6   0 2 2 3 7   1 0 1 4 3   -3 5
20 Burton Albion 6   1 0 2 2 9   0 2 1 0 2   -9 5
21 Queens Park Rangers 6   0 1 1 1 2   0 3 1 5 6   -2 4
22 Sheffield Wednesday 6   1 0 1 5 4   0 1 3 2 6   -3 4
23 Sunderland 6   0 1 1 2 3   0 3 1 8 11   -4 4
24 Bolton Wanderers 6   1 1 1 3 5   0 0 3 0 5   -7 4

3 hours ago, KJT123 said:

I think we'll almost certainly make the play-offs, but automatic promotion will probably be a bit too far. Cardiff and Wolves are just looking too strong.

I'm not that worried about Cardiff. They played us at the right time, when they come to villa park we will set the record straight 

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'm not that worried about Cardiff. They played us at the right time, when they come to villa park we will set the record straight 

I'm only worried about ourselves.

I still think even now had we been "at it" we would have given Wolves a game.

If we are on form we can beat any team in this division.....its just the "IF"

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The statistics show that Cardiff are the best performing side in the league. There's a reason why they're doing so well.