17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

@terrytiniYou know what mate fair enough you go with what you think we need and I'll go with what I believe it will take. Twelve games in it really doesn't matter does it as a lot can happen over 34 games.

Maybe I am being a bit too much glass half full. We'll see.

Edited by markavfc40

I feel like I’ve followed Trump and Alice down the rabbit hole !!

86 for 2nd is “ logical “ ?

86 would get you 3rd last year

86 gets you 4th the year before

86 gets you 3rd or 4th the year before

86 gets you 3rd the year before.

And so on.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Actually, it isn’t 86 it’s 88.

Even that is a little false due to the unusually low figure in the 12/13 season.

Fair enough. Looking at the standard of teams this season and no real stand out side yet aside from Wolves I think it may well be a low year for finishing in the automatic spots. We'll see.

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Points for 2nd place 

16/17 - 93

15/16 - 89
14/15 - 89
13/14 - 93
12/13 - 79
11/12 - 88
10/11 - 84
09/10 - 91
08/09 - 83

Yes.

Ask Brighton how many points they needed for 2nd last year and I guarantee they will say 93.

Not 86, 88, 42, or any other number !!

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Points for 2nd place 

16/17 - 93

15/16 - 89
14/15 - 89
13/14 - 93
12/13 - 79
11/12 - 88
10/11 - 84
09/10 - 91
08/09 - 83

Had Brighton got 86 last season they would have finished second. Same would apply on a lot of those other season you listed where the team in second fished 4,5,6,7 etc points above third when 1 point above would have secured 2nd place. I have already explained all this though.

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

Fair enough. Looking at the standard of teams this season and no real stand out side yet aside from Wolves I think it may well be a low year for finishing in the automatic spots. We'll see.

Maybe, I doubt it though.

ive posted the figure for the last 10 years, with the exception of 2 years with lows of 79 the variance is between 83 & 89, if anything the trend shows increasing points totals for the 2nd place sides.

Personally I think 88-89 feels about right for 2nd place this season.

Had Brighton got 86 last season they would have finished second. Same would apply on a lot of those other season you listed where the team in second fished 4,5,6,7 etc points above third when 1 point above would have secured 2nd place. I have already explained all this though.

That a bit of flawed way of looking at it though as you are effectively adding a non existing team into the league without them having fixtures.

You can only really look at the real points totals achieved by teams finishing 2nd, I think looking at it your way is a little false to be honest mate.

• Thanks 1

Yes and I’ve already explained it’s gobbledegook in my opinion.

You simply can’t say what you are saying as fact it doesn’t work that way - it’s opinion and as such fair enough and all that but it isn’t factual.

The fact is that teams getting 86 points don’t usually get automatic promotion.

That is an actual good old fashioned fact.

Hardly any side has got promoted automatically with 86 points. 

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

That a bit of flawed way of looking at it though as you are effectively adding a non existing team into the league without them having fixtures.

You can only really look at the real points totals achieved by teams finishing 2nd, I think looking at it your way is a little false to be honest mate.

I am so relieved to hear that I feel like I’m going mad lol !!

Crikey I wish I'd never mentioned to finish second you have to finish one point above third and not 2,3,4,5,6,7..... as teams have done in the past.

I'd take a friendly wager for charity with anyone now that the team in third this season won't get more than 86 points meaning 87, or 86 on GD, would be enough for second.

Just now, markavfc40 said:

Crikey I wish I'd never mentioned to finish second you have to finish one point above third and not 2,3,4,5,6,7..... as teams have done in the past.

I'd take a friendly wager for charity with anyone now that the team in third this season won't get more than 86 points meaning 87, or 86 on GD, would be enough for second.

I’ll take the wager

£20 to a charity if any team gets automatic promotion from this League this season with 86 or fewer points. 

At least some good will come of this lol

And fwiwi can also wish I’d never looked at what teams who finish second get and ludicrously suggest it’s what we need !!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't know mate maybe I am confusing myself now :) Reading did play in the league last season, played the same fixtures as Brighton and finished 7 points behind on 85. Therefore had Brighton took 86 points they'd have still got second. 

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

I’ll take the wager

£20 to a charity if any team gets automatic promotion from this League this season with 86 or fewer points. 

At least some good will come of this lol

And fwiwi can also wish I’d never looked at what teams who finish second get and ludicrously suggest it’s what we need !!

So if Villa finish second on 88 and say Leeds finish third on 84 meaning 85 points would have been enough for second the 20 quid is going to my charity?

I don't know mate maybe I am confusing myself now :) Reading did play in the league last season, played the same fixtures as Brighton and finished 7 points behind on 85. Therefore had Brighton took 86 points they'd have still got second. 

Where the handshake on that bet you confused old fool ?

• Like 1

Just now, markavfc40 said:

So if Villa finish second on 88 and say Leeds finish third on 84 meaning 85 points would have been enough for second the 20 quid is going to my charity?

Ha ha ha ha !!

See what you did there ?

Case proved I think ?

I said no team will get promoted automatically on 86 points !!

You say it’s enough

That is the whole debate.....