17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

11 hours ago, Eastie said:

Wolves are the only team that have stood out for me and I’m not convinced they have the squad to stay there if hit by injuries ; we need to be targeting a top 2 place and the fact we have won 5 of our last 6 games without playing to our best augurs well for the future - we have a big squad with quality on the bench too and there should be no reason we can’t target automatic promotion from here .

It might not be pretty but we are in a real position to kick on from here .

But look at wolvws yesterday as soon as preston scored they crumbled and were fortunate with some bad referring decisions.

Wolves look the best side but i certainly feel they are beatable. I think had we scored past them last week would have been interesting to see how they wpuld have done. When they visit villa park which will be a massive crowd, it will be interesting to see how they do as it will be  different kettle of fish. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

But look at wolvws yesterday as soon as preston scored they crumbled and were fortunate with some bad referring decisions.

Wolves look the best side but i certainly feel they are beatable. I think had we scored past them last week would have been interesting to see how they wpuld have done. When they visit villa park which will be a massive crowd, it will be interesting to see how they do as it will be  different kettle of fish. 

I thought that when we had the free kick, 80th minute, 2-0 up, just missed a golden chance for 3-0, if we had got it in they would be bricking it for the last 10.

• Like 1

Agreed , they have set the early pace but let’s see how they handle the pressure in the coming months - certainly a long way to go yet .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Way  I see it our home form will get top 6.

Our away form and our mentality away will decide how far or close we are to the top 2.

Wolves will win the league. They've got that Newcastle knack of dominating and winning and also not playing well and winning. Just saw the highlights v PNE and they weren't great but still went 3-0 up.

Although impressed last week with them i don’t think they are anywhere near as good as Newcastle last season - far from sure wolves will finish above us either ; long way to go and we have been nowhere near our best yet are in contention - let them have the pressure of being top and see how they get on in the winter - if still top in March then maybe they will last the pace .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Agreed , they have set the early pace but let’s see how they handle the pressure in the coming months - certainly a long way to go yet .

Yep I agree, like villaj100 said if we scored and it was 2-1 nerves go in and we have players who can hurt anyone in the league 

opportunity missed

• Like 1

Got to get revenge at home. 

I can't remember the last time we played well against them, even when we have won. 

That has to change, hopefully when we next play their moment will have passed and we will be more in the ascendancy. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Got to get revenge at home. 

I can't remember the last time we played well against them, even when we have won. 

That has to change, hopefully when we next play their moment will have passed and we will be more in the ascendancy. 

They always used to be a bogey team for us in the premier league. Didn't lose at VP in any of their three recent seasons in the prem although we usually did well at Molinuex in that time.

I'm not convinced they'll crumble, they seem to have a good mix to me in their team. Players who wouldn't look out of place in the premier league like Ruben Neves, Helder Costa and that Jota guy and then experience at the back with Ruddy and Batth.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I'm not convinced they'll crumble, they seem to have a good mix to me in their team. Players who wouldn't look out of place in the premier league like Ruben Neves, Helder Costa and that Jota guy and then experience at the back with Ruddy and Batth.

I am reliably informed that they won't like it up em when it gets cold and they are wearing gloves etc etc. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

We should be looking to get better from here , I don’t think the teams above us will do so   and to be honest I’d be surprised if either Cardiff or Sheffield Utd are in the top 6 come May - I’d say villa , wolves,Leeds,Fulham,derby ,are the ones to watch 

Small Heath (A)

Preston (A)

Sheff Wed (H)

QPR (A)

Sunderland (H)

Ipswich (H)

The next two are tough fixtures for very different reasons but after that we’ve 3 home games from 4 against sides currently not in good form.

If we can pick up 3 or 4 points from the next two to go into that run of fixtures we could be in great shape heading towards the turn of the year.

Opportunity knocks.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Small Heath (A)

Preston (A)

Sheff Wed (H)

QPR (A)

Sunderland (H)

Ipswich (H)

The next two are tough fixtures for very different reasons but after that we’ve 3 home games from 4 against sides currently not in good form.

If we can pick up 3 or 4 points from the next two to go into that run of fixtures we could be in great shape heading towards the turn of the year.

Opportunity knocks.

Indeed I agree a lil gap is starting to form from us and those outside the play offs so would definitely put us in good stead. It was important to bounce back with a win and not start a losing trend like laSt year.

it was pleasing it was against one of the better teams in the league. For me Fulham will be up there end of the season. A very good footballing side.

• Like 1

Yes as Trent and Mark say the opportunity to build from here is completely ours for the taking. Two tough games against Blues (it’s their cup final) and Preston are hard but still winnable and then the next four are weaker so we could clock up a few points there.

• Like 1

We have good home form and looking at the next few fixtures we could really kick on from here.

For me the Blues game is a 'must not lose rather than a 'must win' as confidence will play a big part in where we end up. 2 points from the next 2 followed by a few home wins would keep us on track.

On 21/10/2017 at 17:09, ender4 said:

Got the win, but didn’t make up any ground on the top 2 so doesn’t really feel like a win.

The next round of fixtures is a chance to make up more ground...Leeds play Sheff Utd....assuming we win....

I would prefer a Leeds win or a draw as that brings us closer to Sheff Utd. A Sheff Utd win would mean we can overtake Leeds.

I think it’s better if the teams chasing us beat the teams above us, as it just helps squeeze the pack together, and we just need to keep doing what we doing!