17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

We will scrape into the top 6 then play like we did today in the big games when it matters and choke.

It's a shame we have such a dull fart as a manager, have we ever changed a game after going 1 - 0 down.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dick said:

I think Wolves will win the league

Yep Wolves are certs to go up automatically. No way are their two teams in this league who have the ability and consistency to finish above them.

We are way off top 2 given how we approach games. Could be good enough for play offs but I really don't want to risk our season on the lottery of that.

3 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Say if we get promoted this season.

Are you guys worried of what a Premier league season would be like under this team and management?

I want promotion but a season in the Premier League with Whelan, Adomah and Bruce does not excite me..

Bruce would be sacked if we got promoted imo.

It happened at Watford in 2015. I honestly don't think Xia would mess around. He'd look beyond the achievement, look at the state of our football and rightly conclude SB has no business spending another 60m just to play the same negative way in the premier league.

• Like 2

At the moment we are a top 6 side at the most ,Wolves outclassed us if we are being honest ,we lacked legs today we looked slow and wolves looked the opposite but all is but lost we have a few that can come in that can make a difference Onomah O Hare and Grealish can certainly improve things going forward if we were to play 1 of them and I would give hogan a go upfront with Davis I think he could be a key to our promotion push he is a poacher and would work well off Davis .-Kodjia has been poor he doesn't look sharp after missing pre season and his attitude had been dreadful ,Bruce had to stick with a winning team but he can change it up now all is not lost but we must improve especially on the ball 

• Like 1

I think people are going over the top creaming themselves about Wolves. They aren't the first team that we have made to look like Brazil and won't be the last. They are flavour of the month, like Leeds were a while ago, but it's a marathon not a sprint, I wouldn't be surprised if they go off the boil further down the line.

We will continue to underachieve with Bruce in charge, I'm not convinced that the quality of our squad is so good that underachieving will be good enough for a play off place. We have got some good players, but we're lacking in the centre.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, poitier said:

I think people are going over the top creaming themselves about Wolves. They aren't the first team that we have made to look like Brazil and won't be the last. They are flavour of the month, like Leeds were a while ago, but it's a marathon not a sprint, I wouldn't be surprised if they go off the boil further down the line.

We will continue to underachieve with Bruce in charge, I'm not convinced that the quality of our squad is so good that underachieving will be good enough for a play off place. We have got some good players, but we're lacking in the centre.

No one is creaming themselves just saying that they are better than us.

We're like England in tournament qualifying. We stutter through games against nobodies scraping results consistently making people think we are good but as soon as we come up against anyone half decent we are shown up for what we are. 

• Like 4

Word will soon get out about Jota and the other guy and the championship hatchet men will start taking them out.

It would be interenesting to see how well wolves play without these guys. They would be as ridged as Villa without Kodjia or worse.

Theres a long way to go Wolves havn't done anything yet apart from beat Villa who can play much better than that.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

We're like England in tournament qualifying. We stutter through games against nobodies scraping results consistently making people think we are good but as soon as we come up against anyone half decent we are shown up for what we are. 

If you look at how we have done against sides currently in the top half of the table vs those in the bottom half, I make it that we have five points from five games against the top half, and 14 in 7 games against the bottom half.  If that continues all season, we would end up with 23 points against the top half and 46 against the bottom half, 69 total.

According to this article, the average required to reach the playoffs is 73, and the lowest points total anyone has got while reaching the playoffs is 68.

In 2012-13, Leicester City reached the play-offs with just 68 points - the lowest number a team has ever required to make the second-tier play-offs since the current four-team format was introduced in 1989-90.

On that basis, we need to be doing better in order even to reach the playoffs.  If things continue as they are, we will be "thereabouts", and not "there".

And the average over the last few years for reaching second place was 86, which would mean a more dramatic improvement.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, peterms said:

If you look at how we have done against sides currently in the top half of the table vs those in the bottom half, I make it that we have five points from five games against the top half, and 14 in 7 games against the bottom half.  If that continues all season, we would end up with 23 points against the top half and 46 against the bottom half, 69 total.

According to this article, the average required to reach the playoffs is 73, and the lowest points total anyone has got while reaching the playoffs is 68.

On that basis, we need to be doing better in order even to reach the playoffs.  If things continue as they are, we will be "thereabouts", and not "there".

And the average over the last few years for reaching second place was 86, which would mean a more dramatic improvement.

And making the playoffs means we need to beat two top half teams back to back, which again form doesn't suggest we would be capable of it even if high 60's was enough to scrape into the playoffs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Not too bothered about the result, it is the reaction that now counts. Wolves showed us how to do it and we need to learn from that. If we can step it up we will be ok. 

This for me

If we go on to lose the next two then i will be pissed off. We are not real Madrid we will lose games as will wolves. Likr an above poster said if the likes of jota pick up injuries like kodjia did be interesting to see how well they do

• Like 1

Wolves are really good. Losing away to them doesn't necessarily mean much - if we win out the rest of the month, we'll be in a good place regardless. 

I don't think we will win out the month, but if we don't go up, it won't be losing to Wolves that did for us. Drawing at home to Brentford and a 10-man Boro was more damaging. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jareth said:

Not too bothered about the result, it is the reaction that now counts. Wolves showed us how to do it and we need to learn from that. If we can step it up we will be ok. 

Wolves play how a lot of us believe we should be playing, keeping the ball and pressing high, putting the opposition under immense pressure when we don't have it. Bruce will not (or cannot) implement that strategy. If he only decides to try that after yesterday then that's just a shocking indictment of him, he has had 12 months, and this is the best he has come up with. Bitterly disappointing. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Wolves play how a lot of us believe we should be playing, keeping the ball and pressing high, putting the opposition under immense pressure when we don't have it. Bruce will not (or cannot) implement that strategy. If he only decides to try that after yesterday then that's just a shocking indictment of him, he has had 12 months, and this is the best he has come up with. Bitterly disappointing. 

I don't think we have the players to keep the ball the way Wolves did. Some of them are difference class.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don't think we have the players to keep the way Wolves did. Some of them are difference class.

Yes we do, if not then what the hell have we spent £50m+ on? Wolves have two players who are undisputedly above this level in Neves and Jota. The rest of them, whilst good, aren't clearly 'massively' above this level. In other words it's mainly down to management and mentality. One coach wants expansive, high press, attacking football, the other wants to sit deep and execute 'rear-guard' stuff.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes we do, if not then what the hell have we spent £50mv+ on? Wolves have two players who are undisputedly above this level in Neves and Jota. The rest of them, whilst good, aren't clearly 'massively' above this level. In other words it's mainly down to management and mentality. One coach wants expansive, high press, attacking football, the other wants to sit deep and execute 'rear-guard' stuff.

50 million + on workman like Premier League players and championship level players. Don't get me wrong, we should still be able to keep the ball much better. But these players arent going to be playing the type of free flowing passing football fans would love to see.  

Out of that Wolves starting 11 Saiiss, Costa, jota, neves, cavellero all looked naturally comfortable on the ball to me. The other players seemed to do the basics and give the ball to one of the players just mentioned. 

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

50 million + on workman like Premier League players and championship level players. Don't get me wrong, we should still be able to keep the ball much better. But these players arent going to be playing the type of free flowing passing football fans would love to see.  

Out of that Wolves starting 11 Saiiss, Costa, jota, neves, cavellero all looked naturally comfortable on the ball to me. The other players seemed to do the basics and give the ball to one of the players just mentioned. 

Ours are more than capable of that. Costa is good but yesterday awful and Hutton had him in his pocket. Cavellero no better than Adomah. It's largely down to management. No reason why our players are not good enough to do the basics and keep the ball.