17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

18 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Clubs will now have to include at least 10 outfield players within the squad of 18 who had featured in the squad for the previous match.

'Within the squad of 18' seems to be the important bit! You can still rotate this 18/19 as much as you like, so it won't affect us at all.

I thought it was stricter than that when I first read it, only being able to change 1 or 2 from the previous 1st team. 

This way makes far more sense.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 2

In theory, a rule like that should help clubs with the highest average ability through their whole first team squad, which is a group that should certainly include us, as you get to rotate according to fitness while avoiding dramatically reducing the overall ability of the team. 

I don’t like it either, seems too artificial. I never like it when sports officials try to overly control it. So what if a team wants to take an opportunity they have created for themselves to test youngsters in less pressured games, or rest a player for the next one. Seems wrong to me.

Like all the DRS and tyre compounds in Formula 1, I used to like it when they all just drove as fast as they could. Now it’s like watching a game of chess.

44 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I still believe its a crock of ****. If you’ve played your way into the playoffs then you deserve to be tactical about your team selection prior to the play off games, if you’ve been crap all season and are in the relegation zone then that is your fault and not your relegation rivals who happen to be playing the promotion chasers come the end of the season. This situation should be used as an incentive to avoid being in the relegation zone. It’s a squad game and all players in a squad can be used whenever a manager feels like it.

Yeah, just to be clear, while I think it should benefit us on average, I agree with you that it's bullshit. We pay the players, we decide who goes on the pitch. 

Looks like it’s betwen boro derby and Millwall for the play off places - Millwall really need to go to boro and win on Saturday .

Derby looks a different team 2nd half last night and the confidence gained could make them a tricky opponent on Saturday - if they play Cardiff in the semis I can  see derby getting to the final and meeting villa which I quite fancy .

Edited by Eastie

24 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Looks like it’s betwen boro derby and Millwall for the play off places - Millwall really need to go to boro and win on Saturday .

Derby looks a different team 2nd half last night and the confidence gained could make them a tricky opponent on Saturday - if they play Cardiff in the semis I can  see derby getting to the final and meeting villa which I quite fancy .

Brentford are very much in with a shout, especially considering we play Milwall and Derby. Id even have them as favourites to make it at the moment!

We've showed very little ability to deal with big pressure games this year. Cardiff losing yesterday ups the pressure on us for a result this weekend hugely - we need to learn to deal with this pressure if we're going to win the playoffs, never mind somehow achieve 2nd place.

50 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Brentford are very much in with a shout, especially considering we play Milwall and Derby. Id even have them as favourites to make it at the moment!

We haven't managed to beat them once since we've been relegated.

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Cardiff have been asking for that. 

I didn't watch the game (in fact was it even on the telly box?) but everytime I've seen them recently they've looked pretty poor and somehow got the result. 

The hope continues to kill us and though I don't think we will do it by any means at least this means that Fulham might overhaul them. I would still prefer Cardiff in the play offs and today shows why. 

Their recent record against other top 10 teams is even worse than ours which has improved significantly since January.

Cardiff are just great at beating the dross teams, like they did in the previous games v Norwich and Forest.

They'll beat Reading no problem. Hull is a little more tricky as they can score goals if motivated with Hernandez and Harry Wilson so that's the key one particulalry as Fulham play on Friday.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

We've showed very little ability to deal with big pressure games this year. Cardiff losing yesterday ups the pressure on us for a result this weekend hugely - we need to learn to deal with this pressure if we're going to win the playoffs, never mind somehow achieve 2nd place.

At home we've been good at the high pressure games. Bristol City, Wolves and Cardiff.

Think Derby will nick that last spot now, they have Barnsley at home last day who'll be relegated by then.

We'll probably get the hardest of the three teams in the play offs as Boro will be tough to play but certainly beatable. Get through to the final and I'd be very happy playing one of Cardiff or Derby.

• Like 1

I dont see Cardiff winning either of their two remaining games. I think teams have wised up to their bully boy tactics. Fulham on the other hand should beat Sunderland. Although I think the black cats will scrape a draw. If we can beat Derby, which I think we will, this will set up a massive final day and who knows SHA may still help their illustrious neighbours to the promised land. Believe......

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

I think both boro and derby will get the 3 more points they need regardless of what Brentford do in the last 2 games .

Derby have Barnsley at home and boro play Ipswich  last game .

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think it will be

Fulham vs derby

Villa vs boro

Always said i did not fancy playing boro and looks like we are stuck with them

Cardiff v derby and villa v boro 

villa to beat derby 3-1 at Wembley .

• Like 1