17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

10 hours ago, vreitti said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest Bruce's selection and managing of the squad. Fwiw I generally agree. 

I still don't understand the point.
What about Bruce's selection and managing of the squad?

Is it that Bruce doesn't manage the squad well enough?

Edited by Stevo985

7 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Every win now just frustrates me more and more of what might have been. Even one more win and we would be right in there. 

This basically. So many dropped points. We should have waltzed to automatic promotion this season. Playoffs it is.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, vreitti said:

Well yeah, I think that's what's ultimately cost us automatic promotion. Bruce has certainly made some really astute signings, and assembled a very good squad for this level. But he's generally been too cautious/defensive in his approach, especially at the beginning of the season. I believe most of these slip-ups has been down to not using the squad well enough, e.g. rotating players at key moments, when they've been too knackered, and not changing the lineup enough to suit the opposition. Granted he's had to deal with a lot of injuries, but we do have a huge squad also, and some very capable young players, which have barely played. The absolute worst was obviously the QPR game straight after that glorious wolves win, and what followed against Bolton and Hull. 

Ok gotcha. Thanks!

I largely disagree, but thank you for explaining.

Edited by Stevo985

Hutton V Adama should be interesting. I hope Hutton kicks the shit out of but im worried he will rip us a new one. Gestede probably outjump Terry a few times too.. Its going to end badly with so many former Villans. Is that Downing prick still there too?

15 hours ago, vreitti said:
16 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

What's that then?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest Bruce's selection and managing of the squad. Fwiw I generally agree. 

I guess it's already proven to be bollocks so.

Whelan back in at 6 for past 3 games after Bjarnason and Jedi shared it around.
Hogan not started 7 of past 9 games.  Rotating now with Kodjia and Grabban.
Onomah back in for past 2 games after 1 sub appearance in 8.
Bjarnason with 4 starts in past 11 games.
Adomah rested for past 2 games.
Hourihane rested for 2 of past 6 games and subbed off in 5 of last 7 starts.
Snodgrass rested v Ipswich.
Kodjia being introduced slowly.
Even Grabban being subbed despite 2 starts in 5 April games.
Add to that Taylor back in at 3 because of Hutton injury.

If that's not rotation and use of squad then I don't know what is.  But then again that wasn't what I've been thinking all season anyway.

EDIT : In fact the only outfield players who have not really had a break are Chester & Elmo.  Jack didn't play consistently this season until the end of December.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, BOF said:

If that's not rotation and use of squad then I don't know what is.  But then again that wasn't what I've been thinking all season anyway.

EDIT : In fact the only outfield players who have not really had a break are Chester & Elmo.  Jack didn't play consistently this season until the end of December.

I'm not denying rotation has occurred. It clearly has. I suppose my point was more about whether he's used the squad in the best possible way, given the opposition, during our most hectic fixture periods, etc. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I'm not denying rotation has occurred. It clearly has. I suppose my point was more about whether he's used the squad in the best possible way, given the opposition, during our most hectic fixture periods, etc. 

I probably shouldn't have quoted you directly as it wasn't you I was specifically responding to.  It was more @foreveryoung asking that we "start resting some players" which we very clearly have started doing for the past couple of months, as evidenced above.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Almost every team bar the two that are automatically promoted are likely to have an if only story. We certainly have one, Cardiff or Fulham will, Bristol, Millwall, Derby, Sheff Utd, Boro, Brentford, Preston a handful of those will have if only tales when they miss out on the play offs. The three teams that go down will also have them.

If at the start of the season you'd have said to me we'll have 82 points after 44 games I'd have taken that as I'd have been confident 88 points would see us in the top 2. I actually had a wager on here back in October that second would need no more than 86 points.

Overall this season I think we have done really well. We were without our best midfielder (Grealish for half of it) and without our best striker for most of it. In fact even when he has played this season he has never been up to speed and firing on all cylinders. I think had they both been fit for even three quarters of the season we'd have gotten automatic. Another if only I guess.

There is no point focusing on the if onlys now though is there especially when this season can still be a very special one. That is where we need to focus our attentions as we can't change what has gone but even as supporters we can influence what is to come. In fact our support when right behind the team out shines any other teams we will potentially face in the play offs so we could well have a crucial part to play. Let's all be positive to help ensure it is.

Fulham's is the biggest what if.  'What if' we'd only stopped our patented 'few whiskies & a quick curry' half time snack before week 17.  They'd have won the league.

2 hours ago, KSV said:

Hutton V Adama should be interesting. I hope Hutton kicks the shit out of but im worried he will rip us a new one. Gestede probably outjump Terry a few times too.. Its going to end badly with so many former Villans. Is that Downing prick still there too?

I doubt that he jumps like he has lead in his boots and I would back JT to have him in his pocket for the entire game. Downing is still there. Adama is the more likely threat for me but Boro will have Jack and a few others to worry about on the day. Nil desperandum. ;) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, omariqy said:

Every win now just frustrates me more and more of what might have been. Even one more win and we would be right in there. 

Even a few draws and we're right in there.  I had us losing the Wolves and Cardiff games but winning the 4 we managed 1 points from.

However even if we had won all those games and beat Cardiff we would be on 87 now with Cardiff on 86 and still having a game in hand. 

So if it's any consolation Cardiff probably would have got second regardless of our bad run. Their form has been incredible. 

A draw for Cardiff tonight would probably leave them needing to win their last 2 games to pip Fulham - looking forward to tonight’s game- approaching last chance saloon for derby.

if Cardiff need to win at hull on Saturday then that is not an easy game at all with the pressure involved .

Fulham should bury already relegated Sunderland on Friday night so Cardiff will need a win at hull or derby . 

40 minutes ago, Eastie said:

A draw for Cardiff tonight would probably leave them needing to win their last 2 games to pip Fulham - looking forward to tonight’s game- approaching last chance saloon for derby.

if Cardiff need to win at hull on Saturday then that is not an easy game at all with the pressure involved .

Fulham should bury already relegated Sunderland on Friday night so Cardiff will need a win at hull or derby . 

I think Cardiff win tonight with ease

On 23/04/2018 at 14:17, BOF said:

Not Rotating after Wolves was a big mistake. Playing Jedinak when’s he just travelled back from Australia was another. There’s been a few times when we shouidve rotated and never and even Bruce has said its cost us. He’s started doing a lot more rotation now but maybe needed to before Xmas but we did get a few injuries. For all Bruce’s experience he’s messed up a few times this year and you can’t afford many if any. He seems to have settled again after a period of barmy substitutions. I just hope if we go behind in the 1st leg he doesn’t panic and throw on all the strikers or get rid of the midfield!! 

It’d be nice to have a tiny hope on the last day in one way in the other I’d rather know were we are.  Just imagine Blues throwing the game v Fulham  to stop us going up. Hopefully Derby win tonight then we can worry about the rest later.