17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This is where automatic promotion was lost in my opinion. 

Reading, Shef Wed, QPR, Bolton, Norwich. 

5 points from that lot (teams you should be at least getting a point against) and we are second now. 

IMHO it was the QPR & Bolton losses that really hit us hard at a crucial time :(

• Like 1

Apologies if this has been covered but are the precise dates/times  of the playoff semifinals known yet? And if not when will they be? Obviously it depends where we actually end up in the table but I have a busy calendar in May and it would help to know in advance who I might upset by pulling out of engagements to watch the matches!

4 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Apologies if this has been covered but are the precise dates/times  of the playoff semifinals known yet? And if not when will they be? Obviously it depends where we actually end up in the table but I have a busy calendar in May and it would help to know in advance who I might upset by pulling out of engagements to watch the matches!

I know the final is on my first day of my holiday, which could ruin a lot. 

32 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

If we finish third the dates and times will be -

Friday 11th May 7:45pm

and

Monday 14th May 7:45pm

If we finish fourth, the dates and times will be - 

Saturday 12th May 5:15pm

and

Tuesday 15th May 7:45pm

The final, should we reach it, will be Saturday 26th May 5pm.

I can’t make either the final or the more likely second leg date :bang:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

and

and

Thanks for that. Finishing fourth Would really screw up my social life damn it!

19 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This is my biggest criticism of the team under Bruce. We rely so much on quick counter atrack that once a team takes the lead and can sit deep we have no play B.

We've also been very very good when we open the scoring and when we find ourselves ahead.

We've opened the scoring 24 times this season.  We've won 22 of those games and drawn 2.  We've also found ourselves ahead in 2 other games and won them.

So in 26 games this season where we've been ahead at any point in the game, we've won 24 of those games.  That is quite incredible.

We've also conceded only 4 goals all season after the 75th minute.  Another incredible stat.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, BOF said:

We've also been very very good when we open the scoring and when we find ourselves ahead.

We've opened the scoring 24 times this season.  We've won 22 of those games and drawn 2.  We've also found ourselves ahead in 2 other games and won them.

So in 26 games this season where we've been ahead at any point in the game, we've won 24 of those games.  That is quite incredible.

We've also conceded only 4 goals all season after the 75th minute.  Another incredible stat.

I love these stat. I like the fact we don't concede late goals, that's a massive change from past Villa teams. 

Weren't a couple of those goals against Burton too? 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I love these stat. I like the fact we don't concede late goals, that's a massive change from past Villa teams. 

Weren't a couple of those goals against Burton too? 

One in a 4-2 win v Norwich, one in a 2-0 loss at Derby, one in a 3-2 win v Burton & one in a 3-1 loss v QPR.  So at no point did the goal change the result of the match.

• Like 1

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

Is it safe to say that if Fulham win tonight there is absolutely no hope for definite of us getting 2nd?

It requires them to lose to the noses in the sty on the last day and us winning both our games.  It also depends on how much they win by tonight. So it could happen but probably won't.  We also need favours from Cardiff too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Is it safe to say that if Fulham win tonight there is absolutely no hope for definite of us getting 2nd?

Well mathematically if we win our next 2 day comfortabley and Fulham lose their last game we can still get second. 

If Cardiff fail to win last 2 of course.

so yep pretty safe to say it's over. 

6 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

and

and

It would really be something winning the final and being promoted on 26th of May.

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Agree. Worst team I've seen since us in 2015-16 seasons.

Yep, I agree. I’m fairly indifferent about Sunderland, I’ve got a mate who supports Newcastle so he can’t stand them, but I’ve never really cared about them either way (except when playing us obv). I have to say though, I feel sorry for the fans, we know how bad relegation to this league was, but to go straight down again would be so bad. There but for the grace of Xia go we! 

Evening all! Been a while since I accurately predicted Derby's fall down the table, quite a few pages back.

Nice to see Tuesday v Cardiff has given you an outside chance of 2nd and bolstered our confidence as well, all good.

Those stats giving you a 1/100 chance? Stats don't lie but this is when players get nervous and anything is possible, I'm sure if you go back a few years you'll see plenty of teams failing at the last when the pressure is on so you have to keep putting it on.

Tomorrow is not the game to rest players, not while there's a glimmer. Last game maybe.

I think you'll beat us tomorrow and I don't think Cardiff will beat Hull, work out what you need from there, last day of the season could be a belter!

The boy will be in the Holte tomorrow with his mate so I hope it goes well.

If we beat Barnsley we should just squeak in 6th, after that, playoffs are a lottery.

I think Fulham will do it and I hope they do, them and Wolves are too classy.

So, hopefully, Cardiff v Derby and Boro v Villa, which may bring the final nobody in our house wants, Rams v Villa.

Even then, anything can happen, just look how one sided the 06/07 final was, and yet....

Good luck!

• Like 1