17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

30 minutes ago, terrytini said:

To those pointing out we might not finish 1st, 2nd, or go up through the Play Offs ......every single fan is fully aware of that.

For many years I didn’t celebrate us winning a penalty, only the scoring of it.

Until in a moment of inspiration my - then - young son said “ but the ones who celebrate getting given the penalty get two lots of cheering  if it goes in, one if it doesn’t.... wheras we only get One lot of cheering, if it goes in, and None if it doesn’t.

We might get nothing, but we might get 1/2 or P.O.

And we might get nothing and not even be in the hunt for ten more years. Or we might go up and struggle.

So having been starved of genuine excitement for years I fully intend to ( and have been ) focus on what we might do rather than what we might not.

Nobody knows.

The daftest thing I hear is those who say “ Wolves WILL finish first , we CANT catch Wolves”......blimey I could reel off 100 bigger certainties that never happened without stopping to think. 

So, yes, I’m going to celebrate the award of the Penalty every day until we either score it or miss it.

Half empty vs half full

It's never going to go away, some people just like to cling to negativity. 

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We could easily - easily - end up in the playoffs, and fail to gain promotion. 

Yes, we could be eliminated in the playoffs, it's still possible we miss them altogether.

It's going to be an exciting finish for us. It's vital, in my opinion, that we take points from Wolves, Cardiff and Derby.

Not just for our automatic promotion hopes, every edge is going to be needed there, but it will show for me that we can beat those teams around us.

I think the Derby fixture could've gone either way last time, but it didn't, and while we've shown we're not going to be an easy task come playoffs, I don't think we've cemented ourselves as concrete favourites to go up in that scenario.

The fixtures against Wolves, Cardiff and Derby might may or may not determine our automatic promotion, but it will definitely be an indicator of where we are at against the other top sides a month away from playoffs.

I'm not particularly worried about playoffs. I back us to go all the way. Whether we get the results in these three fixtures or not, that's all I'll be cheering for.

In the event we are in playoffs, as mentioned earlier, there will be disappointment amongst the group about missing automatic promotion, and they will have to fight through that for two more games.

Having wins against top sides like Wolves, Cardiff and Derby will be a psychological booster and more than likely of meant we have put in solid performances.

The 3-0 against Sunderland was a breeze. And I'd be extremely surprised if we see that level of performance in a playoff, so fixtures like this mean little apart from points on the board.

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

That's a pretty ugly type of thing to say

"oxymoron
ˌɒksɪˈmɔːrɒn/
noun
noun: oxymoron; plural noun: oxymorons
  1. a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g. faith unfaithful kept him falsely true )."

You're joking right? :huh:

• Haha 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:
"oxymoron
ˌɒksɪˈmɔːrɒn/
noun
  1. a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g. faith unfaithful kept him falsely true )."

HE made a joke thingy...

pretty/ ugly

:)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

We have been under pressure all season. The expectation at Aston Villa is promotion. The fans expect that, the owner expects that and the players and manager went into the season knowing that and have carried that weight for 7 months already.

That is not to say the pressure won't increase but that same pressure will also be on all the other clubs now and I don't see any other club who are able to handle it better than us. Firstly as I said we have carried the weight of expectation all season. We also have a manager that has been through the pressure of leading a club out of this division four times, we have a captain who has led players on the pitch through the pressure of leading them to numerous league titles and cups and then we have players with vast experience like Jedinak, Chester, Whelan, Hutton, Snodgrass who don't strike me as men who will wilt. You can also add in the player that has as much love for this club as any of us do in Jack Grealish who also just happens to be a player who can win a game single handedly and produce something out of nothing. One of very few in this league.

Finally not forgetting us the fans. A packed Villa Park with fans with something positive with in their grasp for the first time in years is an inspiring place to play as a home player. Likewise no club will better our away support in terms of numbers and vociferous backing.

For me I wouldn't swap the make up of our club with any of the others going into the run in as we have more of the ingredients to finish the job than any of the others. Let them fear us. I know if I was in their position I would.

I won't knock that kind of enthusiasm, that's for sure. Come the end of the season, I hope I can say , " you were right " .

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:
"oxymoron
ˌɒksɪˈmɔːrɒn/
noun

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

That's a pretty ugly type of thing to say

all is good :thumb:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I hope you're right, I really do.

Sheepy......you just want your belly tickled:)

lay on your back and close your eyes.

17 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Starring Tro as the host ;) with special guest appearance from grasshopper :) 

And jeremy kyle as referree.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Starring Tro as the host ;) with special guest appearance from grasshopper :) 

Blimey, not much chance of that......we can't get a guest appearance of GH on here.:D

• Sad 1

On 28/02/2018 at 00:48, jackbauer24 said:

Just because I think there is some relevance to it at this point in the season, whereby teams are now close to their final positions, I have tallied up the final 12 games of the season for the top 6 to see who has the 'easiest' run in. Obviously I recognise there is no weighting given in relation to league position and things like derbies or form or fighting for survival which may effect things but it still gives a nice unbiased look at each teams run in.

If you play a team in 1st position you get 1pt, a team at the bottom earns you 24pts. Therefore the bigger the number the easier your fixtures.

Wolves 171pts

Cardiff 157pts

VILLA 154pts

Derby 146pts

Fulham 163pts

Sheffield Utd 147pts

So Wolves and, worryingly, Fulham have the easiest run in. Villa and Cardiff practically the same with Derby and Sheffield Utds on the trickier end of the scale. This is of limited use in real world situations but I do think it gives a bit of a picture of what each team has coming up. I think it also shows that Wolves are not only nicely clear of the pack but also with a nice run of fixtures left to play. Villa probably only need to concern themselves with Fulham and Cardiff at this stage. The Cardiff game will likely define our season.

Personally I see Fulham and Wolves grabbing the top two spots, with Villa and Cardiff fighting for third, Derby comfortably in playoffs and Sheffield utd probably being pipped to the post by one of the chasing pack (money on Boro).

Going to be interesting...

4 minutes in N'Dye gets a warning. One dirty player.