17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Lets see where we finish shall we.

A quick check back of this thread in August and I see you had us finishing no higher than 10th so hopefully your forecasting skills are still as perceptive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

In fairness to whelan he did play well last night until injury .

Fair enough, but we haven’t been playing as well as a team since he was dropped. (accepting Jack and Albert have been missing too). I think BB will offer more than Whelan or jedi against wolves. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Wolves looked a class apart when they battered us earlier this season. 

Well if you want some good news we’ve added Jack and Grabban to the side that lost that day, and with hindsight we know Kodja was well below par ( so we have take your pick, Hogan, or whoever).

Id say that’s a significant improvement.

For them they could have Bonatini instead of Costa but otherwise will be he same....as far as I know I don’t study the detail.

Additionaly they were flying at the time, whereas in recent games our results have actually been better than theirs.

So, for those that want it, there are good reasons to be optimistic.

• Like 1

I don't want to wax lyrical about them, but they are powerful, move well, good first touch and double up when pressing.....physical outfit.

We have to make sure we get after them early on ......if we stand off them, we will be undone.

We can beat them, but our game needs to be right and we need to be able to impose the skills we have.....if we allow them to nullify our talent, we will be in trouble.

• Like 4

The Leeds fans were too quiet. We as fans need to get on the wolves players backs put pressure on them.

I hope we don't pit in a pathetic display like Leeds did. Completely out classes and showed no fight.

I hope we at least battle hard I think if we play like we know we can we win and there is nothing wolves can do about IT 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

You can't say most teams shit out and lose three on the bounce against crap opposition like we did.  There are always reasons why a team doesn't win something, but that season was a massive bottle job.

You are not to believe we will no longer lose a game we should win on paper, and I'm not sure how you drew that from the original post.  Maybe @omariqy can expand on the point, but what I got from the post was that we can have a greater degree of confidence that we will win games and stand up to difficult situations or circumstances.

I think it's fair to have that level of confidence.  Certainly in the PL era (for whatever that's worth as a barometer or timeframe) I can't recall a group of players with the level of experience, ability and steely-mindedness (relative to the level of opposition) that we have now.

Hutton, Terry, Chester, Taylor, Elmo, Jedi, Whelan, Snodgrass, even Bjarnason - that's a group of players with lots of experience at playing in, succeeding in, and even captaining in high pressure situations.

We'll still lose games.  We'll still make individual mistakes.  We are not guaranteed of anything.

But your first post in this exchange included -

Which I, and seemingly other posters, don't seem to believe to be grounded in evidence.  Therefore, I think you ARE to no longer believe we will "crumble" under pressure.

Yup bang on.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Fair enough, but we haven’t been playing as well as a team since he was dropped. (accepting Jack and Albert have been missing too). I think BB will offer more than Whelan or jedi against wolves. 

He will give us extra mobility, i agree......but don't underestimate their physical approach, they are big old units, who stop you playing given the opportunity.

• Like 1

Wolves are beatable, just looking at their loss to Fulham shows that they can be beaten with some attacking nous.

We easily have enough quality in our side to create the chances that Fulham did.

Hopefully our strategy is to attack and play the game to our tempo. There's no reason we can't expect a result here, we have the quality.

All that remains is the tactics and belief.

Really hoping we play for the win here and send a signal of intent that we are by no means here to make up the numbers.

I don't care if we have to go through the playoffs, I just want to continue seeing a quality Villa side giving it their all to get back to the Premier League.

A win at Wolves would show we have grown some teeth and are capable of taking any scalp, the confidence would be invaluable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

Well if you want some good news we’ve added Jack and Grabban to the side that lost that day, and with hindsight we know Kodja was well below par ( so we have take your pick, Hogan, or whoever).

Id say that’s a significant improvement.

For them they could have Bonatini instead of Costa but otherwise will be he same....as far as I know I don’t study the detail.

Additionaly they were flying at the time, whereas in recent games our results have actually been better than theirs.

So, for those that want it, there are good reasons to be optimistic.

I also thing that was the one game we really looked unbalanced with Hutton at the back. We had zero threat from the left. Although Taylor does not defend as well as Hutton I think having a natural left back will help us take the game to Wolves from both flanks. 

Costa is looking a top player again. He was still coming back to fitness when we played them. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

When we played Wolves we let them run the show and conceded the midfield. Bruce got it badly wrong. He’d previously changed our team against weaker opposition but this time I think we will be very similar to the Blues team and with the same shape. Taylor LB Grabban upfront and with Jack back and a vociferous crowd I think we will win. If Jack stays fit we will get automatic. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

It is no secret we are one of the clubs, lets be honest 

I stand to be corrected, but I think we have done everything within the rules.

I suspect, being who we are (big club but not one of the luvvies), if we had broken any rules, they would be down on us like a ton of bricks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

I stand to be corrected, but I think we have done everything within the rules.

I suspect, being who we are (big club but not one of the luvvies), if we had broken any rules, they would be down on us like a ton of bricks.

I suspect you are correct with that.

• Like 1