17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

We a literally just a loss and a Fulham win away from bring 4th.

I'm all for being optimistic but people need to calm down for now.

Wolves also have a game in hand.

We need at least 2 - 3 games (wins) minimum to even snatch 2nd back.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, ender4 said:

1) Winning against Wolves isn't a bonus if we want second place, its pretty much mandatory if Cardiff also win.

2) Its not in our hands at all, its in Cardiff's hands.    

2) you are right.

1) Well we can agree to disagree. We'll know a bit more tonight, but if Wolves beat Leeds and us in quick succession then they'll be back up looking solid in 1st. 13 points clear of us.

Next month Cardiff have Sheff Utd, Wolves and us to play in 8 days. That's not easy. We also saw Barnsley push them all the way last night, the relegation teams aren't all going to roll over like Sunderland did last night.

That Cardiff game is a must win for me, along with the Derby match. All I was getting at is there's nothing must-win about Saturday. In fact to me, in March, it is the least must-win of the 4. I'll be more upset if we fail to beat Hull or Bolton or QPR personally. The other teams will slip up. Cardiff aren't going away quick (as I've said in this thread all season) but they are far from worldbeaters and an injury to any of their key players and like us and wolves it's a leveller. The games are running out but there's a long way to go too.

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If we somehow were champions this would be one of the biggest achievements since finishing runners up in the premier league. Bruce would go down as one of our greats if he somehow managed that.

People would still want him out next year...

I said a few weeks back that we will win the league, Cardiff will finish 2nd, Still stand by that but it obviously depends on beating them on Saturday

Edited by LakotaDakota

Yes, whilst mathematically, a draw or a loss against Wolves and winning against, Hull, QPR and Bolton would be great for us, if we really want to put the shits up Cardiff and Wolves then giving Wolves a good stuffing as revenge for getting Ole'd by them last time (Ole'd by Wolves still very much hurts me) would be amazing. I'm not sure how likely it is, but it would certainly mean we could be considered contenders for the title. Which is a sentence I did not think I would be writing for a very long time.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This.

It WAS in our hands for about 3 seconds, and we fell asleep.

It's still in our hands as far as I'm concerned.

There's nearly 20% of the season to go, or 33 points to play for, and we are just 4 points off Cardiff, including a fixture against Cardiff.

It's technically in their hands but I would be very surprised if they go undefeated for the rest of the campaign.

4 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

It's still in our hands as far as I'm concerned.

There's nearly 20% of the season to go, or 33 points to play for, and we are just 4 points off Cardiff, including a fixture against Cardiff.

It's technically in their hands but I would be very surprised if they go undefeated for the rest of the campaign.

Oxymoron :P

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yes, whilst mathematically, a draw or a loss against Wolves and winning against, Hull, QPR and Bolton would be great for us, if we really want to put the shits up Cardiff and Wolves then giving Wolves a good stuffing as revenge for getting Ole'd by them last time (Ole'd by Wolves still very much hurts me) would be amazing. I'm not sure how likely it is, but it would certainly mean we could be considered contenders for the title. Which is a sentence I did not think I would be writing for a very long time.

I love it when you disagree with me and also when you agree. Also if you post anything of ambivalence because you have my favourite avatar :)

But yeah, if we harbour any hope of 1st then Saturday's a must win I can get onboard with that. My dream of 2nd still wont be gone if we don't though.

Wolve to lose tonight is a big advantage. Us to win against them and they are right in the mix. The will play Cardiff so that will make one of them above us with only one point, or the two of them with two points.

But still all of that would need Leeds to up their game and us to do the same!

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

nintchdbpict000342286679.jpg

And let's face it, if we get to the playoff final then playing at Wembley will be like more of a home game for Terry than playing at Villa Park :D 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Yes, although that was scant consolation for the pain of losing to Blackburn, Oldham and QPR when we should really have won the league.

You could say that about most teams who finish runners up, should of, could of, if only we hadn't drawn against whoever. Am I to believe Villa will no longer lose a game they should win on paper , because that seemed to be the inference from the original post, that somehow we are no longer a team that will crumble under pressure ? That's a bold statement, IMO, nonetheless, let's hope that's the case, because somewhere along the way, pressure is certainly going to show it's face.

Edited by sheepyvillian

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

To those pointing out we might not finish 1st, 2nd, or go up through the Play Offs ......every single fan is fully aware of that.

For many years I didn’t celebrate us winning a penalty, only the scoring of it.

Until in a moment of inspiration my - then - young son said “ but the ones who celebrate getting given the penalty get two lots of cheering  if it goes in, one if it doesn’t.... wheras we only get One lot of cheering, if it goes in, and None if it doesn’t.

We might get nothing, but we might get 1/2 or P.O.

And we might get nothing and not even be in the hunt for ten more years. Or we might go up and struggle.

So having been starved of genuine excitement for years I fully intend to ( and have been ) focus on what we might do rather than what we might not.

Nobody knows.

The daftest thing I hear is those who say “ Wolves WILL finish first , we CANT catch Wolves”......blimey I could reel off 100 bigger certainties that never happened without stopping to think. 

So, yes, I’m going to celebrate the award of the Penalty every day until we either score it or miss it.

I know this seems a bit daft, but I can't see us catching Wolves.

10 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

You could say that about most teams who finish runners up, should of, could of, if only we hadn't drawn against whoever. Am I to believe Villa will no longer lose a game they should win on paper , because that seemed to be the inference from the original post, that somehow we are no longer a team that will crumble under pressure. That's a bold statement, IMO, nonetheless, let's hope that's the case, because somewhere along the way, pressure is certainly going to show it's face.

You can't say most teams shit out and lose three on the bounce against crap opposition like we did.  There are always reasons why a team doesn't win something, but that season was a massive bottle job.

You are not to believe we will no longer lose a game we should win on paper, and I'm not sure how you drew that from the original post.  Maybe @omariqy can expand on the point, but what I got from the post was that we can have a greater degree of confidence that we will win games and stand up to difficult situations or circumstances.

I think it's fair to have that level of confidence.  Certainly in the PL era (for whatever that's worth as a barometer or timeframe) I can't recall a group of players with the level of experience, ability and steely-mindedness (relative to the level of opposition) that we have now.

Hutton, Terry, Chester, Taylor, Elmo, Jedi, Whelan, Snodgrass, even Bjarnason - that's a group of players with lots of experience at playing in, succeeding in, and even captaining in high pressure situations.

We'll still lose games.  We'll still make individual mistakes.  We are not guaranteed of anything.

But your first post in this exchange included -

4 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I can see us conceding early in the first leg and just crumbling

Which I, and seemingly other posters, don't seem to believe to be grounded in evidence.  Therefore, I think you ARE to no longer believe we will "crumble" under pressure.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

You could say that about most teams who finish runners up, should of, could of, if only we hadn't drawn against whoever. Am I to believe Villa will no longer lose a game they should win on paper , because that seemed to be the inference from the original post, that somehow we are no longer a team that will crumble under pressure. That's a bold statement, IMO, nonetheless, let's hope that's the case, because somewhere along the way, pressure is certainly going to show it's face.

Having character and never knowing when you are beaten doesn’t mean you will “ no longer lose a game you should win on paper”.....I’ve not seen it inferred anywhere either.

However it does indeed mean you won’t crumble under pressure, amongst other things.