Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

If we dont go up (still the most likely option) then Hogan will be our main striker next season or the natural bench option for Kodjia if we manage to hang on to him.

We are going to have a fire sale if we stay down. We have to unless the crooked FFP regs get thrown out which doesnt look like happening.

10 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Hogan is good at the pressing game and never stops running. Tammy won't be here next year and Smith doesn't seem to like Kodjia too much. Wouldn't surprise me to see him starting up front for us next season if he looks good in pre-season.

Only if we’re in the championship.  Then still unlikely

21 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

Hogan is good at the pressing game and never stops running. Tammy won't be here next year and Smith doesn't seem to like Kodjia too much. Wouldn't surprise me to see him starting up front for us next season if he looks good in pre-season.

I make you right - even though this is not a proposition that many will acknowledge - I'm just waiting for a   Certain poster to call you obsessed.

22 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

I don't think he actually is good  at the pressing game....but I guess that's down to interpretation.

Billy Sharp presses....Tammy Presses....Jay Rodriguez presses.

Scott Hogan and Kodj just run around...they don't put their foot in or squeeze or get in the face of the defender to win the ball.....that has been the main problem with them.

Pressing for me is more than JUST running....its attempting to win the ball or stopping the opponent from advancing...i.e challenging.

Scott ain't got a challenge in him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't think he actually is good  at the pressing game....but I guess that's down to interpretation.

Billy Sharp presses....Tammy Presses....Jay Rodriguez presses.

Scott Hogan and Kodj just run around...they don't put their foot in or squeeze or get in the face of the defender to win the ball.....that has been the main problem with them.

Pressing for me is more than JUST running....its attempting to win the ball or stopping the opponent from advancing...i.e challenging.

Scott ain't got a challenge in him.

Spot on. Just because he runs around a lot there is a misconception he presses well. There’s no intensity in his press. Defenders easily pass it around him. 

• Like 1

On 18/03/2019 at 22:10, AndyM3000 said:

If Hogan is starting up front for us next season then I think we're in deep trouble.

He has a lot of energy, you're right. That's probably his best asset. But I just don't think he's got enough about his game to be a starter in a team supposedly pushing for promotion.
I'd be surprised to see him here at all next season, but if he is he needs to be competition for a better front man, imo.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If Hogan is starting up front for us next season then I think we're in deep trouble.

He has a lot of energy, you're right. That's probably his best asset. But I just don't think he's got enough about his game to be a starter in a team supposedly pushing for promotion.
I'd be surprised to see him here at all next season, but if he is he needs to be competition for a better front man, imo.

I agree.

I hope he is gone in the summer as I think his Villa career is as good as finished imo.

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ireland vs Gibraltar on Saturday, if he doesnt score in this game he might as well just retire

Even if he’s on the bench?

We have only seen Hogan play in a Bruce system where pressing high up the pitch wasn't in the game plan. It's always going to be easy to pass around someone if the midfield isn't helping.

We have a number of players who will be leaving in the summer and I don't think anyone has a clue how much money we will have to spend. It looks like we may need two new wingers, a CM, CB, LB at the very least.

Smith might think if he can improve the midfield/defence more to his suiting he could get the best out of Hogan again. I hope we get a new forward in but it wouldn't surprise me if we start the season with Hogan.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

My 9 year old chiahuaha has a lot of energy. She runs around in the park with no sense of direction or any kind of plan. I should rename her Hogan 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

We have only seen Hogan play in a Bruce system where pressing high up the pitch wasn't in the game plan. It's always going to be easy to pass around someone if the midfield isn't helping.

We have a number of players who will be leaving in the summer and I don't think anyone has a clue how much money we will have to spend. It looks like we may need two new wingers, a CM, CB, LB at the very least.

Smith might think if he can improve the midfield/defence more to his suiting he could get the best out of Hogan again. I hope we get a new forward in but it wouldn't surprise me if we start the season with Hogan.

No we haven't. He played for Smith. He still didn't look very good. At all.

Smith wasn't interested in keeping him. And now he's struggling to break into the Sheffield United team which is another system all together.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KHV said:

My 9 year old chiahuaha has a lot of energy. She runs around in the park with no sense of direction or any kind of plan. I should rename her Hogan 

apt 

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No we haven't. He played for Smith. He still didn't look very good. At all.

Smith wasn't interested in keeping him. And now he's struggling to break into the Sheffield United team which is another system all together.

Has he started a league game under Smith? A few sub appearances is all I remember.

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ireland vs Gibraltar on Saturday, if he doesnt score in this game he might as well just retire

Not being in the squad might count against him

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Has he started a league game under Smith? A few sub appearances is all I remember.

God no. Why would he start a league game?

He started a cup game and had some sub appearances. And he was crap. He'd need to show something in those appearances to justify being selected in the starting lineup.

• Like 1

It's a catch 22.

He's not good enough to start so he won't get enough game game time to regain his confidence, and he won't regain his confidence without game time.

We paid way, way over the top for a limited Championship poacher and expected him to do things he's not capable of.

In the world of striker a couple of goals can totally transform even a mediocre player, and that might still happen for Hogan somewhere.

But I won't be here, and it won't last.

Really hope we can get £4-5m for him in the summer and his wages off our books to be put to better use.

Â