Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, KHV said:

West Ham had two bids turned down and then refused to go to £15m

Yeah, the board were buying him but Bilic wasn't keen on him for the money quoted. So they pulled out 

According to all the journos on transfer deadline day anyway... 

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/10749772/slaven-bilic-pulls-plug-on-west-ham-move-for-scott-hogan

West Ham manager Slaven Bilic has revealed he pulled out of a deal to sign Brentford forward Scott Hogan due to the attacking options already at his disposal.

The Hammers refused to match Brentford's £15m valuation of the 24-year-old, who has 18 months remaining on his contract at the Sky Bet Championship club.

Edited by PieFacE

Just now, PieFacE said:

Yeah, the board were buying him but Bilic wasn't keen on him for the money quoted. So they pulled out 

According to all the journos on transfer deadline day anyway... 

The money was too high - Bilic came out saying he was happy with his attacking options.

If Bilic didn't want the player in the first place, why would they bid for him?!

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

The money was too high - Bilic came out saying he was happy with his attacking options.

If Bilic didn't want the player in the first place, why would they bid for him?!

West ham (or Bilic) didn't feel that he was worth the £12m so they pulled out? 

Apparently, the owners at West Ham thought he'd be a great signing but Bilic was unconvinced. Either way, they pulled out of the deal. 

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Ok - he's had 2 injuries before now.  Your go!

1. Brentford pre-season 14/15 injured ankle

2. Brentford 14/15 injured left ACL

3. Brentford 14/15 re-injured same ACL

4. Brentford 15/16 hamstring injury

5. Villa ankle

24 years of age and 70 games under his belt.

Don't get me wrong.  I've liked what I've seen from him and he looks a very good striker when he's on the pitch.  My worry is how often he'll be on the pitch.  This bad start is a continuation of his career to date and there's little rational reason for why that will all suddenly change.

• Like 2

Just now, BOF said:

1. Brentford pre-season 14/15 injured ankle

2. Brentford 14/15 injured left ACL

3. Brentford 14/15 re-injured same ACL

4. Brentford 15/16 hamstring injury

5. Villa ankle

24 years of age and 70 games under his belt.

Don't get me wrong.  I've liked what I've seen from him and he looks a very good striker when he's on the pitch.  My worry is how often he'll be on the pitch.  This bad start is a continuation of his career to date and there's little rational reason for why that will all suddenly change.

1.  Agreed.

2 & 3.  Same injury, during his "recovery".

4.  Wasn't an injury - he had a "tight hamstring" but still came on and played in the final games of the season.

5.  Now.

So, as I say, 2 injuries prior to now.  Playing 29 games on the bounce after reconstructive ACL surgery and a set back during rehabilitation on the same knee isn't the sign of someone who is bound to be on the sidelines from injuries.  I'm pretty sure most players in our squad have had more career injuries than Hogan.  It's a lazy tag.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

So, as I say, 2 injuries prior to now.  Playing 29 games on the bounce after reconstructive ACL surgery and a set back during rehabilitation on the same knee isn't the sign of someone who is bound to be on the sidelines from injuries.  I'm pretty sure most players in our squad have had more career injuries than Hogan.  It's a lazy tag.

Well I hardly expected you to agree with me :)  Let's both call it what we like.  It'll be interesting to see how many games he plays for us versus how many he misses.  Then we can both call him the Terminator and decide whether it's an ironic name or not.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure most players in our squad have had more career injuries than Hogan

really? More than those two long term ones?

There might be lot's of niggles but nothing on that scale. Micah Richards might be one. But otherwise who are the others? He's only 24. 

Injury prone sounds to me like a player who is simply feigning their injuries in order to take time out. But, there's no doubting he messed his ankle up the other night and he's also done 2 x ACL's so he cannot be feigning those. Maybe he is simply unlucky when it comes to injuries? Either way, it's not good when you are 24 and only played 80 games. That stat in itself should be enough to deter potential buyers.

1 minute ago, villarocker said:

Injury prone sounds to me like a player who is simply feigning their injuries in order to take time out. But, there's no doubting he messed his ankle up the other night and he's also done 2 x ACL's so he cannot be feigning those. Maybe he is simply unlucky when it comes to injuries? Either way, it's not good when you are 24 and only played 80 games. That stat in itself should be enough to deter potential buyers.

Injury prone does not at all mean feigning injury.  It means he is 'likely or liable' to suffer from them.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Injury prone does not at all mean feigning injury.  It means he is 'likely or liable' to suffer from them.

I was going to ask if you are suggesting he is a bit weak-kneed but after two ACL injuries there's no doubting that! ;)

Hopefully Scott will be available for our last 5 or 6 games of the season then. Hopefully by then these games will not be as crucial for us as they could be if our results do not improve dramatically before then. This is much better news than had looked likely when he came off at Newcastle. 

50 minutes ago, Rodders said:

really? More than those two long term ones?

There might be lot's of niggles but nothing on that scale. Micah Richards might be one. But otherwise who are the others? He's only 24.

But that's my point - you're not "injury prone" for having had a huge injury.  That's the nature of playing football, sometimes you get crocked badly, other times you get niggles, others you're absolutely fine.

I wouldn't consider Amavi "injury prone" because he was out for a long period with a bad injury.  For example, Agbonlahor has had plenty more injuries than him, but probably hasn't missed the same game.  More "injury prone", though.

Â