Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Really? Why? 

Allegedly the club were tracking him from day one, but didn't think they had a chance (rightly so) until West Ham pulled out late on. 

That's the reported story, by everyone involved, what do you know otherwise?

I don't think we put a lot of research in. I don't think Hogan fits in with our style of play and I think Bruce will make changes to accomodate him which will be detrimental to the rest of the team in the way we line up.

We were poor aginst Forest, Ipswich,Barnsley and Newcsatle.  Whilst I appreciate Hogan is a new signing and it's early days he didn't show anything in the games I saw him in. By all accounts he was pretty dire in the other two as well.

I don't think he deserves to start when he is fit again. We are more balanced without him

3 minutes ago, KHV said:

I don't think we put a lot of research in. I don't think Hogan fits in with our style of play and I think Bruce will make changes to accomodate him which will be detrimental to the rest of the team in the way we line up.

We were poor aginst Forest, Ipswich,Barnsley and Newcsatle.  Whilst I appreciate Hogan is a new signing and it's early days he didn't show anything in the games I saw him in. By all accounts he was pretty dire in the other two as well.

I don't think he deserves to start when he is fit again. We are more balanced without him

I thought he looked very good indeed at forest - strong powerful and direct and have high hopes for him . 

It's impossible to deny it didn't seem to work out with Hogan and Kodjia playing together. Then again, not in million years would I blame Hogan for the defeats. That's on Bruce for trying breed them all in at once. The only logical conclusion I can come to is Kodjia being the problem, as he didn't work all that well with RMC either. 

I remember advocating we'd play better with Kodjia away at ACON. Well that didn't work either. Perhaps it could've worked with Hogan instead of RMC. As it stands, we simply have to play Kodjia, as he's a proven threat that'll score goals. I'd just forget about Hogan until next season. 

19 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I'd just forget about Hogan until next season. 

Going to be at least a month out then after an injury like that it will take him more time to get his confidence back again. Bruce will probably ease him back in gently especially if Kodjia stays fit so it could indeed be next season before Villa see the best of him? Still feel he will turn out to be a very good signing though.

Edited by striker

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Going to be at least a month out then after an injury like that it will take him more time to get his confidence back again. Bruce will probably ease him back in gently especially if Kodjia stays fit so it could indeed be next season before Villa see the best of him? Still feel he will turn out to be a very good signing though.

That was the original thought - however now seems he may be fit for a week Saturday .

23 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think Hogan will be better than Kodjia, he's more of an all rounder and is younger, so more upside. Can't wait for him to get back fit and in contention. 

Totally agree- I like kodija but I thiNk hogan will be a top top player for us - and there is room in the side to play both .

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Totally agree- I like kodija but I thiNk hogan will be a top top player for us - and there is room in the side to play both .

There is definitely room to play both but from what we have seen so far will it work?

when kodjia is upfront and not wide he has blinkers on! one thing on his mind and that's the goal (strikers instinct), but i fear Hogan will get fed up of not being played through when he gets space, because he will get a lot of space with Kodjia dragging 2/3 defenders to him. will Hogan return the favor and not pass either?

we need a partnership upfront not 2 individuals.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rda91avfc said:

There is definitely room to play both but from what we have seen so far will it work?

when kodjia is upfront and not wide he has blinkers on! one thing on his mind and that's the goal (strikers instinct), but i fear Hogan will get fed up of not being played through when he gets space, because he will get a lot of space with Kodjia dragging 2/3 defenders to him. will Hogan return the favor and not pass either?

we need a partnership upfront not 2 individuals.

I think kodija is beginning to be aware of teammates a bit more although I agree with your point about him having blinkers on - it will take a few games for them to gel but I think they both have great qualities and could both look for 20 plus next season .

we need to start burying the chances we create as the goals to shots ratio is not good enough at present.

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I think kodija is beginning to be aware of teammates a bit more although I agree with your point about him having blinkers on - it will take a few games for them to gel but I think they both have great qualities and could both look for 20 plus next season .

we need to start burying the chances we create as the goals to shots ratio is not good enough at present.

Agreed. Kodjia also needs to stand his ground more. Spends alot of time on the turf, it can get frustrating. 

It would be amazing to have a front line hitting 20+ each next season btw, we haven't seen that in my lifetime lol

Bruce seemed to hint that the plan with Hogan was for 2 upfront. I think that plan is out the window now and for the foreseeable future, so I'm not sure the signing of Hogan was planned as well as it should be. 

In a 4-3-3 I can't see Hogan as the lone striker, he doesn't seem the right type of player at all for that role.

Also Bruce didn't say kodjia prefers playing out wide, he said

"I think he enjoys playing to a side to a degree"

kodjia was the central striker at Bristol City last year scoring 20 goals and IMO should be our central striker as well. 

I think Hogan will struggle to get into a successful 4-3-3 team and if we play 2 upfront I think we as a team will suffer for it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Bruce seemed to hint that the plan with Hogan was for 2 upfront. I think that plan is out the window now and for the foreseeable future, so I'm not sure the signing of Hogan was planned as well as it should be. 

In a 4-3-3 I can't see Hogan as the lone striker, he doesn't seem the right type of player at all for that role.

Also Bruce didn't say kodjia prefers playing out wide, he said

"I think he enjoys playing to a side to a degree"

kodjia was the central striker at Bristol City last year scoring 20 goals and IMO should be our central striker as well. 

I think Hogan will struggle to get into a successful 4-3-3 team and if we play 2 upfront I think we as a team will suffer for it. 

He did say that more than once iN interviews as I saw him say it .

I haven't seen him say it but even if he did, I'm confident kodjia can do an ok job wide. From what I've seen Hogan would be poor as a lone striker. 

For me green looks a better winger than Kodjia and Kodjia looks a better lone striker than Hogan. 

Moving them around makes us weaker IMO. 

In fact I'd be surprised if Bruce even tried Hogan as a lone striker. If he does put him back in I expect to see a partnership again and losing a midfield player. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I haven't seen him say it but even if he did, I'm confident kodjia can do an ok job wide. From what I've seen Hogan would be poor as a lone striker. 

For me green looks a better winger than Kodjia and Kodjia looks a better lone striker than Hogan. 

Moving them around makes us weaker IMO. 

In fact I'd be surprised if Bruce even tried Hogan as a lone striker. If he does put him back in I expect to see a partnership again and losing a midfield player. 

I think brUce will definitely accommodate both kodija and hogan in the team - whether the midfield will look better with jedinak back in the side and that could make a difference - lansbury and hourihane are both creatiVe and have ability going forward from midfield - I do like the 433 set up but agree Bruce is a 442 man and it will be interesting how it pans out when hogan is back .

seems hogan could be back next week before green so we will soon find out .

we do need to be able to adapt to various styles and formations though .

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

I think brUce will definitely accommodate both kodija and hogan in the team - whether the midfield will look better with jedinak back in the side and that could make a difference - lansbury and hourihane are both creatiVe and have ability going forward from midfield - I do like the 433 set up but agree Bruce is a 442 man and it will be interesting how it pans out when hogan is back .

seems hogan could be back next week before green so we will soon find out .

we do need to be able to adapt to various styles and formations though .

This is my main gripe with Bruce, 4-4-2 is shite and we don't have the players to accomodate it. I just hope to God Bruce doesn't try and go back to it otherwise next season is going to be poor again.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Really? Why? 

Allegedly the club were tracking him from day one, but didn't think they had a chance (rightly so) until West Ham pulled out late on. 

That's the reported story, by everyone involved, what do you know otherwise?

Because it fits in with Bruce being clueless

He will come in to his own.

Hourihane and Lansbury, were still finding their feet when he was introduced.....its still early days.

Good players fight their way in......he will benefit from players behind him settling in.

bit of a panic buy IMO. 

Very similar to McCormack.. who just didnt fit in our style of player. We needed a Gestede style of player.. but one who can actually trap and pass a ball.. and link up play. Ok so not much of a Gestede player... but a Benteke. 

2 hours ago, KSV said:

bit of a panic buy IMO. 

Very similar to McCormack.. who just didnt fit in our style of player. We needed a Gestede style of player.. but one who can actually trap and pass a ball.. and link up play. Ok so not much of a Gestede player... but a Benteke. 

Doesn't seem similar to McCormack to me - very different style striker to Ross and I think hogan will prove a crucial signing next season - he is a finisher and will score goals for fun with the chances we can create.

Â