Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

Good tonight even before the excellent first goal.

I wonder how he'd do as the go between midfielder. We played him in number 10 role against Preston which didn't work. He's doing fine as a DM but for play offs I wouldn't be against it being Jedinak-Bjarni-Grealish.

It's a close call I think between him and Hourihane.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Played as well as he did during our run of form without Jedinak.  No brainer against poorer teams, but we may have messed up our chances of automatic by not playing him tbh.

Was also amusing that, whilst his goal was beautiful, he had another 3 shots that were utter garbage. :D 

He should have stopped shooting after the goal, the subsequent shots were so bad it just made it seem like a total fluke! 

He played well though in general, pretty much all our play started with him, helped no doubt by Reading showing absolutely zero interest in closing down even before the Red card

Just now, vreitti said:

No it's not, Connor's scored ten goals. 

Bjarni's scored 3-4 since New Year hasn't he?

I don't mind Hourihane, neat and tidy and we finally have a central midfielder who can hit double figures.

I just wonder the best balance for our midfield in the crunch play off games. I think when it's Jedinak-Hourihane against say a Fulham there isn't enough mobility or athleticism to counter the opposition midfield.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Bjarni's scored 3-4 since New Year hasn't he?

I don't mind Hourihane, neat and tidy and we finally have a central midfielder who can hit double figures.

I just wonder the best balance for our midfield in the crunch play off games. I think when it's Jedinak-Hourihane against say a Fulham there isn't enough mobility or athleticism to counter the opposition midfield.

Don’t play jedinak then. For me the two today are our best combination 

12 hours ago, bobzy said:

Played as well as he did during our run of form without Jedinak.  No brainer against poorer teams, but we may have messed up our chances of automatic by not playing him tbh.

Was also amusing that, whilst his goal was beautiful, he had another 3 shots that were utter garbage. :D 

I think those three other shots were maybe influenced by the crowd chants of "SHOOOOT" whenever he got the ball around the area after his goal.

• Like 1

Bikir and Conor should be our first choice CM. Grealish in the attacking role. If we wanted to be a bit more defensive ( no need imo) Whelan/Mile with Bikir and Conor in the attacking role. Grealish out of the side. 

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

tbf tbf tbf tbf I could have played CM yesterday and got a 90% pass completion.

that is true Reading looked shoddy but a lot of midfielders would have been in awe coming up against Bacuna ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

from the highlights he was always on the ball and stats were 91% pass completion from 93 passes

This isn't a dig at BB as some will probably accuse me of, but crazily that pass completion only ranks him 9th out of the players that played yesterday! 

Seems like a weirdly high pass completion for most of our players yesterday. Even Neil Taylor had 95%!!

Edited by Stevo985

Some of the passes that Thor was spraying around were fantastic. His pass completion percentage would probably have been higher if he’d opted for the usual sideways and backwards passes that we see from DMs. Also, for a player who apparantly is much weaker in the air compared to the hairy Australian, he seemed to win a fair few headers last night. He had a good leap on him.

I managed to find an exclusive interview where he was asked for the secret to his amazing goal yesterday.

Spoiler

Image result for thor gif

Seems he may have forgotten that for his later strikes though.

• Like 1

Â