Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

6 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

My dad is adamant he is the best foreign player we have had since Luc Nilis...

Well A. I never realised he was a footballer, i just remember him for Prince Charming and B. Definitely didn't know he was foreign.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, One For The Road said:

It's amazing how often a player looks better when he is played in his correct position. 

Almost like magic....

I’m pretty sure when we signed, people said he was an AM, I don’t think dm is his natural position. But I think the strength and speed of the league means that he looks better at dm now. Similar to how petrov had to change to get the best out of him.

• Like 2

I don't see him as an out an out DM in the physical sense like Jed.

I see him as a more passive type who is equally more mobile and industrious, similar to Stan Petrov.

He is a " pick pocket" as opposed to a tackler and his reading of the game enables him to intercept so many balls.

I think he reads the game well and recycles the ball very well....and his ability to read situations is as asset.....he also has the ability to keep his knee over the ball, which enables him to score like he did on Tuesday.

good player to have in the squad.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Basically where I am too.

He HAS put in some poor performances as DM, but he's definitely had more good games than bad ones in that position.

Hope he keeps it up

When? I've been a doubter but I'm struggling to think of any poor performances at defensive midfield. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Basically where I am too.

He HAS put in some poor performances as DM, but he's definitely had more good games than bad ones in that position.

Hope he keeps it up

on that note, whens the last time you saw anyone not play a poor game in their position?

18 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

My dad is adamant he is the best foreign player we have had since Luc Nilis...

Agreed, if only he and Luc could have played together they would have ruled the roost like Kings of the Wild Frontier. 

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

When? I've been a doubter but I'm struggling to think of any poor performances at defensive midfield. 

There have been a couple. vs Barnsley I think (might not have been that game). It was shortly after his first good performance there he then put in a ropey one.

vs Bolton the other week he was dreadful, including a huge error for their goal.

39 minutes ago, Skills said:

on that note, whens the last time you saw anyone not play a poor game in their position?

Never.

However I was responding to a post that I THOUGHT said "he has always played very well there [DM]"
But now that I read it back I can see I misread it and it doesn't say that at all, it merely says "he has played very well there". Which I agree with.

So my response you've quoted probably does sound a bit weird. Apologies.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd say at this stage he's 'useful' but hardly a quality player. That said, I think he should be a starter in Jedinak's place from now until the end of the season.

I think it should really depend on who we're playing, seeing as they have very different strengths/weaknesses. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I think it should really depend on who we're playing, seeing as they have very different strengths/weaknesses. 

I feel that we can play better football without Jedinak, I do agree that Jedinak has his place though, however given we have no chance of automatic promotion I'd be interested to see what Bjarnason could do over a longer run of games, it's possible that he'd grow into the role even more.

I'm going to put my neck on the line and say that I think he could do a job in DM in the Prem.

I look at some of the players that have played in 8th-15th positioned teams in his position in the past ten years, and I think Thor has more than enough to step it up a level.

15 hours ago, lexicon said:

Think that some need to calm down a bit; he's OK. 

It's only a couple of weeks ago Jack was the best player in the Championship by miles and we would struggle to hold on to him when the Top 4 come calling, as well as catching Wolves.

Overreaction is what we do here.

We are either going to win the league or get relegated.

Players are either "the worst i've ever seen wear the shirt" or "my favourite player since God" etc. lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, sidcow said:

Agreed, if only he and Luc could have played together they would have ruled the roost like Kings of the Wild Frontier. 

Laursen, Mellberg, Carew.

not so sure.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's only a couple of weeks ago Jack was the best player in the Championship by miles and we would struggle to hold on to him when the Top 4 come calling, as well as catching Wolves.

Players are either "the worst i've ever seen wear the shirt" or "my favourite player since God" etc. lol

Bit like the media in the UK. England win a game and we're going to win the world cup. Lose a game and we're worse than the Faroe Islands and need to look at the whole structure from top to bottom.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

Laursen, Mellberg, Carew.

not so sure.

I think you've missed the Adam Ant reference @TRO

I am not seriously talking about the best foreign players we've had.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I think you've missed the Adam Ant reference @TRO

I am not seriously talking about the best foreign players we've had.

Sorry wires crossed......i did see it but i thought the next line had moved on.

old age creeping on.

11 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Haha......well said JV

• Like 1

Â