Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

I would agree he's awful but I think Bruce does him no favours by picking him on the wing. He's never going to be anything but a clogger there. When Adomah (an out an out right winger) came on it seemed mental to me that he played as a No 10 and they kept Bjarnasson wide. Sometimes you have to question your own sanity but surely they/we would have been better off with them swapped. 

Adomah providing the cross for the goal just kind of underlined. I don't think Bruce is that dumb but he's does stuff like this so much you have to wonder. 

You guys are being really harsh on him. He's an attacking midfielder who had the ball launched at his head for most of the game, and then found himself either totally isolated or with Agbonlahor up there but not in any sort of useful position. He did not have an easy job yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Brett Holman mk2

Lots of energy and effort and running around.

Absolutely no ability on the ball. He is dreadful.

A typical Steve Bruce signing so. Lots of energy, passion and heart and none of the things that actually matter. 

22 minutes ago, lexicon said:

You guys are being really harsh on him. He's an attacking midfielder who had the ball launched at his head for most of the game, and then found himself either totally isolated or with Agbonlahor up there but not in any sort of useful position. He did not have an easy job yesterday. 

I agree.

But what's the excuse for all of the other times he's played.

He's not once looked anything other than terrible.

I was happy to give him time last season. but he needs to show an ounce of improvement.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree.

But what's the excuse for all of the other times he's played.

He's not once looked anything other than terrible.

I was happy to give him time last season. but he needs to show an ounce of improvement.

Fair point but I think we need a manager who actually knows how to utilise a midfielder, rather than get their defenders to launch the ball over their heads, before we can adequately judge him. 

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Fair point but I think we need a manager who actually knows how to utilise a midfielder, rather than get their defenders to launch the ball over their heads, before we can adequately judge him. 

Possibly.

Personally I've seen a complete lack of anything beyond energy to indicate that Birkir has anything about him.

At least with players like Hourihane, Lansbury or Onomah they've shown glimpses or flashes of what they're capable of. So i agree under a better manager they might shine.

Birkir hasn't shown anything. 

Edited by Stevo985

I watched the 2nd half on Sunday and, having read some of the match and ratings and reachtions threads, expected him to be far worse than what I witnessed.   Damning with faint praise, I know, but I didn't see him as being significantly worse than the rest of the team or deserving to be labeled as worst signing ever and the like.   I would hope that he's not a first choice starter, but don't want him out of the squad any more than a half dozen or so others.  Unfortunately, we can't replace half the squad and I wouldn't want to leave that task up to Bruce even if we could.

• Like 1

On 16/08/2017 at 08:42, Stevo985 said:

Brett Holman mk2

Lots of energy and effort and running around.

Absolutely no ability on the ball. He is dreadful.

Bacuna mk2. 

I'm willing to wait until we play in a way that puts us on the front foot and creates goal scoring chances before I judge too harshly. He was good for Basel and Iceland. Looks pretty crap for us but then playing at LM, LB and RW for a centre midfielder must be difficult to prove yourself.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, il_serpente said:

I watched the 2nd half on Sunday and, having read some of the match and ratings and reachtions threads, expected him to be far worse than what I witnessed.   Damning with faint praise, I know, but I didn't see him as being significantly worse than the rest of the team or deserving to be labeled as worst signing ever and the like.   I would hope that he's not a first choice starter, but don't want him out of the squad any more than a half dozen or so others.  Unfortunately, we can't replace half the squad and I wouldn't want to leave that task up to Bruce even if we could.

He has always been criticised, expect that to multiply times 10. now that our old scapegoat Bacuna, and Gabby are out of the team. lol

Â