The wage bill. Is it out of control?

One For The Road

5 hours ago, BOF said:

The sin is not in giving out high wages.  The sin is in giving it to shit players.  Unless people are against high wages and want to remain at our current level.

Ha Ha Ha.....thats the sin alright, shit players.

I wonder what McCormack is on? The fat lazy **** is £50,000+ and he doesn't even turn up for training never mind him actually performing for the team. We have had our pants pulled down by quite a few agents in the last few years it seems. As the likes of Lescott and Richards can attest to.

6 hours ago, BOF said:

The sin is not in giving out high wages.  The sin is in giving it to shit players.  Unless people are against high wages and want to remain at our current level.

Last time I looked we had a team of players (some on high wages) that didn't look anything like a set of players that can get us out of this current level.

Chester, jedinak, probably mccormack and the fact were willing to quadruple the wages of players who are currently on a higher level than us shows that your statement that it will not happen again is well wide of the mark.

The vast majority of the players wages are frankly embarrassing considering our position and it seems to be continuing. 

I can't think of one plater we have who is worth the salary he is on given that there are players all over the championship performing much better on much much less.

30 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I can't think of one plater we have who is worth the salary he is on given that there are players all over the championship performing much better on much much less.

Need to pull you up on that one; given the awards our hospitality department have won.

18 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Up until this season Christian Eriksen has only been on £30k a week, examples like that is the reason Spurs are where they are and Villa are here.

Jebus couldn't believe that was true until looked it up and he wanted increase to £150k. I do think they have good chance of winning title though

Is there any evidence Jedinak is on 55k? One article from the anus of the Internet can end up being portrayed as fact.

If he's mopping up behind Lansbury and Hourihane, breaking opposition attacks up and giving the ball to either of them then he'll be worth a good wage and will pay it back via PL money when we go up next season. He's been having to do more than at Palace and people are judging him harshly for it imo. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Does anyone have football manager? The games usually accurate with wages what does it state jedinak and McCormack are on?

On FM17 Jedinak's on € 52k/w + € 10k/ appearance 

Weren't there leaks last season that alot of our players didn't have relegation wage reduction clauses?

If you added up the wages of Gabby, Richards, McGatemack, Westwood, Hutton, Jedinak, Kozak, Grealish and Ayew I'd say the average wage is miles too high for this division, given the quality of player in that list.

Also Chester, Kodija and Landsbury I'm sure didn't come cheap. Even Bree is on a rumoured 30K p/w to join us.

It seems to me that the control of contracts at Villa has been and continues to be quite poor. There needs to be more incentive based contracts like they do a lot at Liverpool.  

To answer the original question then no I don’t think our wage bill is out of control but I think if we don’t get up with in the next 18 months then it could well be.

This window we have so far pretty much swapped Gollinis wages for Johnstones, Gestedes wages for Lansburys. I’d imagine there will be one or two going out following the additions of Houriane and Bree. I think things this window may well pretty much even themselves out.

If as expected we do sign Houriane and Bree then I think on paper we will have one of the best squads in the league. I’d also imagine in terms of  wages it will be up there with Newcastles. The issue we have of course is that our position in terms of wages is not reflected in the league table. That is down to a number of reasons like the wrong manager at the start of the season and an unbalanced squad for two thirds of it etc.

I think we either did what we have done which is try to buy our way out of the league, relative to 90% of clubs, or we ran the risk of being stuck down here for years. You look at the top 2 then Newcastle have kept a squad together that was almost good enough to stay in the Prem last season and have supplemented it with some very good and expensive players (Ritchie, Gayle, Daime etc).You then look at Brighton and they have evolved over a number of years much like a number of clubs in the play off places.

I think our situation was pretty much unique. We had struggled for years in the top flight and the overhaul needed was massive. We couldn’t afford to rip it all up and allow half a dozen years to slowly build a squad and evolve. To get up with in a couple of years we have had to buy proven quality.

You could say looking at the table now that the way we have gone about things isn’t working. I don’t think that is the case though. I think it will work. I think with the additions we will bring in before the close of this window we will have a strong end to the season. Probably not enough to challenge for promotion this season but one that will set us up very nicely for promotion next season.

It is a gamble to stretch your finances and go all in on getting promotion within a couple of years. I think long term though the bigger gamble would have been in not doing that and being stuck down here for years. I think we will look back in 18 months’ time and know that we made the right decision.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

Those figures I am sure relate to last season; however lets not forget how many first team players we have. Subject to how you describe them; I count 30 first team players (with Keinan Davies/Rushian Hepburn-Murphy with the least appearances/inexperienced). 

Given we have

1) now 5 "first teamers" out on loan - who knows what wages are being paid by the other club;

2) the stragglers from last season(s); and

3) Players paid to provide the quality to get promoted this season

It is of no surprise that the wage bill will be out of control and why they are probably being told get rid of players. As a guess - I would fathom the wage bill of those not on loan to be £680,000 a week. If you add on the loan players (£115,000 a week). That's is just astronomical do not think that it is because of a lack of funds - it is just going to be unsustainable.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Does anyone have football manager? The games usually accurate with wages what does it state jedinak and McCormack are on?

McCormack - £45k according to the handheld

19 hours ago, One For The Road said:

I've been reading on other forums that we have apparently got the world's 20th highest wage bill. Is this true?

If it is then that really is startling. How can the club with the 20th highest wage bill in the WORLD have to rely on Andre Green and Gabby Agbonlahor to create goals in the Championship? As we had to on Saturday. 

With a wage bill that high we really should have quality running through the squad so if it is true then who is to blame for this? More importantly, what's being done about it because it seems as though, even after Lerner has long gone, we are still paying stupid amounts to bang average footballers.

What is our top earner getting paid? What is the average 1st team wage at the club and is it true we have the 20th highest?

There is a list doing the rounds on twitter, but its for FY15/16 so a few years ago.  The drama queens on twitter seem to ignore this, even though its stated in the top left of the grid.  So think, NZogbia, etc.

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Do you think they are sent wage slips? They do what you do, Google it and pick a number.

Well they were quite accurate when curt use to ply with us so I don't think it's just me up

This kind of thing always worries me, along with the current attiude to the Bree and Hourihane deals of "just get it done, what's a few million.."

We have been swindled for far too long by clubs, by agents, in transfer deals and contract negotiations. I remember thinking under Randy that this wasn't sustainable when reports out our wages to turnover were close to 80%-90% ...but as long as we were doing okay on the pitch everyone was willing to turn a blind eye.

I pray we go up next year because if we don't and it turns out Tony isn't a multi billionaire..then a Portsmouthstyle meltdown is on the way. Languishing in league 1 Leeds style at the very least.

Â