The wage bill. Is it out of control?

One For The Road

I've been reading on other forums that we have apparently got the world's 20th highest wage bill. Is this true?

If it is then that really is startling. How can the club with the 20th highest wage bill in the WORLD have to rely on Andre Green and Gabby Agbonlahor to create goals in the Championship? As we had to on Saturday. 

With a wage bill that high we really should have quality running through the squad so if it is true then who is to blame for this? More importantly, what's being done about it because it seems as though, even after Lerner has long gone, we are still paying stupid amounts to bang average footballers.

What is our top earner getting paid? What is the average 1st team wage at the club and is it true we have the 20th highest?

Edited by One For The Road

5 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I've been reading on other forums that we have apparently got the world's 20th highest wage bill. Is this true?

If it is then that really is startling. How can the club with the 20th highest wage bill in the WORLD have to rely on Andre Green and Gabby Agbonlahor to create goals in the Championship? As we had to on Saturday. 

With a wage bill that high we really should have quality running through the squad so if it is true then who is to blame for this? More importantly, what's being done about it because it seems as though, even after Lerner has long gone, we are still paying stupid amounts to bang average footballers.

What is our top earner getting paid? What is the average 1st team wage at the club and is it true we have the 20th highest?

I've seen something similar and it's really startling if true. no wonder we attract shaftrattlers to our club.

The list was likely from last year, but it also shows just how poorly the club was run. We were giving Top 6 level wages to players that were Bottom 3 quality.

Now one of our highest earners will likely be Hourihane at £30k a week, but for once there is a reason for that because he could go to most Premier League clubs so we have to beat them to the punch. Though I assume most of our other players are on £20 - £25k which is likely a lot for the Championship, but we're also on a mission to not be here very long. 

So yes at one point in time be it last season or the seasons before we were overspending and overpaying talent, but I can't imagine we are now.

• Like 4

Absolutely. Its not what we've spent its how we've spent it. This is simply down to poor management.

When you consider that our better players, Chester, Adomah, Lansbury (its may be a bit early but I'm also going to throw Hurihane in here) are all probably on around £30k. Now consider guys like Gabby, Hutton, Westwood are all probably on about £50k, hell i bet even libor Kozak is touching  £20k. For too long we have rewarded mediocrity with huge salaries.

The fact that this transfer window has seen buy 3 players (assuming Bree and Hourihane sign) that are all out of contract in the summer gives me confidence in our management setup long term. Maybe this is down to Round?

Edited by av1

£55k and he can't even pass a ball 15 yards, Jesus christ.

I might record myself kicking a ball in a straight line and send it to a few scouts. I must still be worth a least £5k a week to someone

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

Jesus! If that's true then that is just bat**** mental.

Indeed!

Don't know how accurate it is, but that what it said.

Not that it should be taken as evidence, but on FM 17 he's listed as being on 52k/w+  appearance bonus of €10k/game.

They are usually in the ballpark when it comes to figures and salaries.

When we were in the PL we were always/usually around the 7th highest wage bill in the country.

It's fair to assume that some players may have had relegation wage drops but we'll still be massively overspending for where we are.

Getting the right players out is huge for us this summer especially as promotion is a long shot at best. Lots of loanees coming back too what ever their wages are comes back with them.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Yeah, i'm pretty certain that was for last season when we were in the Premier League.
Most of the Premier League teams are in the top 25 in the world.

It will have gone way down when we got relegated due to relegation clauses.

Need to get promoted ASAP otherwise even our current wage bill will become a problem with FFP.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

Sins of the past, not to be repeated.

I'd be willing to bet that our current wage bill isn't that much smaller this season (although from memory, players had relegation wage clauses in their contracts?). 

Jedinak and Chester especially won't be on small wages. 

Just now, bobzy said:

I'd be willing to bet that our current wage bill isn't that much smaller this season (although from memory, players had relegation wage clauses in their contracts?). 

Jedinak and Chester especially won't be on small wages. 

The sin is not in giving out high wages.  The sin is in giving it to shit players.  Unless people are against high wages and want to remain at our current level.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yeah, i'm pretty certain that was for last season when we were in the Premier League.
Most of the Premier League teams are in the top 25 in the world.  

Well.... no. 

We were the 7th highest in the Premier League and 20th in the world. Apparently alongside Swansea, above the likes of Everton, West Ham, Southampton, Stoke etc

Â