The wage bill. Is it out of control?

One For The Road

Just now, BOF said:

The sin is not in giving out high wages.  The sin is in giving it to shit players.  Unless people are against high wages and want to remain at our current level.

Mmmmm, personally think it's both. After all, you can't think/know that a new signing will be "shit".

For example, Hourihane might not work out for us but we're going to chuck 30k/wk at him to test him out. 

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

I doubt Gardner's contract is breaking the bank.  A 4 year contract in itself is not a problem.  Hindsight will tell us whether Jedinak was a mistake, but so far I don't think he has been, and with his new midfield partners I think he might thrive.

But 55k a week in the Championship is just bonkers. If he is in that much of course. Putting 32 year olds on that sort of money surely puts a strain on us in terms of FFP as there will be no sell on value. I just worry that we aren't learning our lessons.

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

I'm not surprised. if we don't get out of the championship in the next two years I think we will be in major trouble

oh definitely.   irrespective of our wage bill, we'll be in major trouble. 

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

But 55k a week in the Championship is just bonkers. If he is in that much of course. Putting 32 year olds on that sort of money surely puts a strain on us in terms of FFP as there will be no sell on value. I just worry that we aren't learning our lessons.

He's on a 3 year contract.  We've 3 years of parachute payments.  He was (is?) deemed necessary for promotion.  It's all good  We paid £4m for him and he was never about resale value.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Mmmmm, personally think it's both. After all, you can't think/know that a new signing will be "shit".

For example, Hourihane might not work out for us but we're going to chuck 30k/wk at him to test him out. 

Hourihane does look the business though tbf. And in his case we are competing with other clubs for his signature AND he is only costing us a million quid in transfer fee.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

He's on a 3 year contract.  We've 3 years of parachute payments.  He was (is?) deemed necessary for promotion.  It's all good  We paid £4m for him and he was never about resale value.

I understand that. But 55k? Really? I think that's just ludicrous for where we are now and for a player who isn't even that good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I understand that. But 55k? Really? I think that's just ludicrous for where we are now and for a player who isn't even that good.

Yeah it's top end, but I think that just reflects the various aspects of the transfer.  Getting a club captain to drop down a division, even allowing for his reduced game time at Palace (he had played for them 4 days before the move).  International captain.  Yes he's in his twilight now but we desperately needed him.  And his beard, obviously.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

We do, but they reduce a whole chunk each season. from £40m (ish) to £33m (ish) to £14m (ish)

If we dont go up next season we are in big troble

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

We do, but they reduce a whole chunk each season. from £40m (ish) to £33m (ish) to £14m (ish)

So next season we will get £33m whilst the 3 newly relegated clubs will get around £55m.

The season after that we get £14m, whilst the 3 newly relegated clubs will get £55m and the previous 3 relegated clubs will still get £45m each. 

Edited by ender4

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yep I know that, but I do think Jedinak's contract is not an issue.  I was just giving a reason as to why it is manageable :thumb:

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I'd be willing to bet that our current wage bill isn't that much smaller this season (although from memory, players had relegation wage clauses in their contracts?). 

Jedinak and Chester especially won't be on small wages. 

When you think of the players that have left, Nzogbia, gana, Guzan, cissokho, Bennett, Clark, traore, gestede plus some outgoing loans, I think it will have dropped quite a bit. I'm sure I read last year that every player, except traore, had a relegation wage drop clause.

With the loan players that are returning in the summer if they are not in the plans then they can be sold to generate transfer funds. I'm sure a few clubs in France would like to buy veretout and I think if Gil isn't in our plans it shouldn't be too hard to sell him.

I think our main issue is players like gabby, Richards, Westwood that I would assume are on fairly high wages but we will struggle to offload them.

• Like 1

Think it came from such articles as:

BARCA AND MADRID HAVE TOP WAGE BILLS

Barca and Madrid's low comparative spending can perhaps be explained by their massive wage bills.

Luis Enrique's team were the biggest payers in the game with an astonishing €340m splashed out on player salaries over the 2015 financial year, an increase of 37 per cent.

Madrid paid out €289m, with Chelsea (€284m), City (€276m) and United (€266m) not far behind.

PSG (€255m), Arsenal (€250m), Bayern Munich (€236m) and Liverpool (€216m) make up the nine teams to be paying out more than €200m on wages. 

Of those, Chelsea's bill took up the highest proportion of their total revenue, consuming 69 per cent.

Premier League strugglers Swansea City and relegated Aston Villa (19th and 20th, both €110m) were surprise inclusions in the top 20.

ah Haaaa!

Â