Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

No it's just a coincidence that Bree, Lansbury, Hourihane and Hogan literally went from performing well for their teams to sitting on the bench or performing poorly the minute they signed. 

Can't possibly be anything to do with the person who makes all decisions about the team, the positions and the way they play. 

Because it never happens that players go to bigger clubs and struggle. People on this website are obsessed. It's so sad. The only thing I can see is that we were on one obscene downward spiral before he came—it was so bad we were in the relegation zone of the frikking Championship

• Like 2

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

Because it never happens that players go to bigger clubs and struggle. People on this website are obsessed. It's so sad. The only thing I can see is that we were on one obscene downward spiral before he came—it was so bad we were in the relegation zone of the frikking Championship

It does. Bit strange that it happens to so many and such a change as soon as they sign. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

No it's just a coincidence that Bree, Lansbury, Hourihane and Hogan literally went from performing well for their teams to sitting on the bench or performing poorly the minute they signed. 

Can't possibly be anything to do with the person who makes all decisions about the team, the positions and the way they play. 

I didn't say it wasn't partly down to the manager, did I? Unlike the two posts directly above mine which pinned it all on him...

It does. Bit strange that it happens to so many and such a change as soon as they sign. 

but that has equally been the case with so many previous managers.

I just don't think that simple conclusion is really that simple.

These players you mention like Conor Hourihane was also playing with different players at their previous clubs, maybe, just maybe their deficiencies have been shown up moving to us.

I am no more sure of the answer than you.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

but that has equally been the case with so many previous managers.

I just don't think that simple conclusion is really that simple.

These players you mention like Conor Hourihane was also playing with different players at their previous clubs, maybe, just maybe their deficiencies have been shown up moving to us.

I am no more sure of the answer than you.

I'm not sure of the answer. It just seems strange that the change was instant and with so many of them. 

Something isn't right. 

Look at Hourihane stats last season compared us. Management should have studied what he did different at Barnsley and replicate it here. If he had a runner doing his work then what we should have got in summer

This is the problem - we are a big club in a lowly status. We need to attract players and managers who can handle the pressure of a big club. - but these players and managers (with a few exceptions granted) don't want to join a championship club.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not sure of the answer. It just seems strange that the change was instant and with so many of them. 

Something isn't right. 

There is a case with all players that they need to fit in to a pattern of play and that will get the best out of them , they need to understand the movements of their colleagues and respond accordingly its called timing runs.....they also respond better when the blend around them suits their strengths and weaknesses.

Then comes the other bit......where it shouldn't matter what team you play at, there are what i call fundamentals, that if you don't execute, its questionable you should be a professional footballer in the first place.

• trapping the ball
  • closing down your opponent
  • competing for the ball
  • running off the ball
  • passing to an opponent
  • retaining the ball to a reasonable level and not losing it too cheaply

My concern is I have seen incidents from varying players that have fallen in to the second category.....to me its worrying if we have any aspirations of promotion.

I can think of players of the past that did all of that above as the bare minimum and it should be the bare minimum.....sorry I don't see it in some.....or if i do its for 45 minutes max

Edited by TRO

I do think Bruce is to blame to an extent. I cant justify so many decent players coming to Villa and being poor. I just wonder if Bruce was making those signings in January. Seems like Round was in charge to me.. they were not very Bruce signings. I think this summer is all Bruce though. 

1 minute ago, KSV said:

I do think Bruce is to blame to an extent. I cant justify so many decent players coming to Villa and being poor. I just wonder if Bruce was making those signings in January. Seems like Round was in charge to me.. they were not very Bruce signings. I think this summer is all Bruce though. 

It'll be a group of people who decide on signings. Bruce and Round will both, presumably, be part of that group.

That's how football clubs work these days. There's no way Bruce is solely in charge of transfers this summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It'll be a group of people who decide on signings. Bruce and Round will both, presumably, be part of that group.

That's how football clubs work these days. There's no way Bruce is solely in charge of transfers this summer.

Yep. We will have a transfer committee that deals with the incoming and outgoing players. 

21 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yep. We will have a transfer committee that deals with the incoming and outgoing players. 

Exactly, and I imagine it will have been that way since MON left. Maybe even during his tenure to an extent.

One of the reasons I find people excusing Sherwood's transfers so infuriating.

We have to figure out how to use Hourihane, Hogan, and Kodjia together. Out of all our championship signings, these three are truly a step above everyone else in the championship. These are the players that can lead us to the prem. I don't care how, but Bruce needs to get them working with each other. They cost us a huge amount, and for them to not all be on the field would be lunacy. 

Just between those 3, they scored 40 goals last season. 

Hourihane had 14 assists last season. So many goals just between 3 players, and Bruce can't get them going. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Something isn't right. 

I really don't think there's a mystery, we - those who don't think they've suddenly become bad players - are, in many cases, just being very very patient and very tolerant because none of us can bear the thought of what might well need to be done.

But really, regardless of the awful state we were in under Randy, when a team that's cost what ours has is basically reliant on one player to score goals, AND has so many players who HAVE scored goals elsewhere failing to do so, ( regardless of the reasons people can find for any individual game) there's only one place you can realistically look.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

Â