Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

3 hours ago, KSV said:

I would have started him but to be fair yesterdays game was crying out for an energetic midfielder like Bikir as Whelans legs were gone. 

Hourihane and Lansbury are too similar and cant play together. He prefers Lansbury. 

I think Hourihane Onomah and Jedinak will be our best midfield trio. Bit of everything in the trio. We lacked physical presence in midfield. Whelan is good but hes no MIle. 

Conor is proven at this level. He was amazing last year. Bruce needs to get his head examined. Play him.. but not with Lansbury. They are shit together

You mean Lansbury and Hourihane can't play together in the middle? Because Lansbury was playing behind Hogan yesterday.

Think we need to stop reading too much into 'players can't play together'. I think it's an utter joke Hourihane didn't even get on yesterday, let alone Bacuna playing ahead of him. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well what does Bacuna playing in the premier league have to do with anything then?

What does Bacuna do better than Hourihane? 

Bacuna has proven himself to be able to play in the Premier League with us. Hourihane has proven he's probably not good enough I'm the CH with us. The same reason I'd be more willing to start Gabby over McCormack. 

Move.  Try to take a player on. Try to get forward. Hourihane has been anonymous in almost every game he's played for us. 

I don't rate Bacuna, btw, but Hourihane isn't a first XI player for us. Unless we want to be midtable. 

Edited by kurtsimonw

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

Bacuna has proven himself to be able to play in the Premier League with us. Hourihane has proven he's probably not good enough I'm the CH with us. The same reason I'd be more willing to start Gabby over McCormack. 

Move.  Try to take a player on. Try to get forward. Hourihane has been anonymous in almost every game he's played for us. 

I don't rate Bacuna, btw, but Hourihane isn't a first XI player for us. Unless we want to be midtable. 

Playing in the premier league isn't the same as proving you can play in the premier league. 

If you think Bacuna offers more to the team then I'll leave it there. I clearly disagree. 

Disappointed but not shocked to see him on the bench behind Bacuna. 

He must be wondering why he bothered coming to us. Clubs were queueing up to sign him and his contract was up in the summer. 

I hope he gets a chance and shows his mettle. He will thrive in a more confident side. 

Edited by villan-scott

11 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

He really hasn't. Connor will never score goals for us at the top level. Probably never play for us at said level. 

Bacuna scored 6 in three seasons, I'm fairly sure Hourihane would score at least that in the same time frame. 

I am disappointed in what I have seen from Hourihane.....I think he is typical of players at this level, good at somethings but not at others.

I too am not writing him off just yet, but I have my doubts.....I heard somewhere that others did all the ugly work for him at Barnsley all the running and huffing and puffing......I am not saying I know that, but it kinda follows, because I have not seen enough competitive play from him and he loses the ball too easy for me......you have to work at this game.....of course we all like the flair, but you have to WIN THE RIGHT to display it.

He has to stamp his authority on a game when he is given a chance......its not a game to make the numbers up.

They used to poke a bit of fun at Ron Saunders in his day with his beloved 110% work rate ethic.....and his faith in marathon runners like Frank Carradus and Des Bremner......don't be fooled its crucial.

I still have doubts our midfield is blended properly.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

We need to see Hourihane given a run of games in his preferred position before forming an opinion on him but under Bruce I'm not sure he's going to get that?

• Like 1

Would like to see Hourihane in the role behind the striker. We rarely get to see him shoot. Bruce doesnt like him as he thinks hes a deep lying midfielder. Get him forward to create and score goals. Its not rocket science really. 

I want an explanation to the following. Obviously its the same season and the same league. 

His stats are down in attack which is obvious with less goals and assists. But look at his defensive drop off as well??

His tackles per game are down.. his passing average is down.. his clearances and blocks are down. Is he just not working hard enough as he thinks he made it or the passion isnt at the club for us or is it his position.. confidence? His confidence should have been high! 

Wtf has happened. It is imperative we get him in the side and in a similar role to the way Barnsley used to him. 

image.png.6495d3128f02bae1569706383450ab07.png

image.png.c134e018eef2c0bfecf9bb984e16b107.png

image.png.3307f9640830cc86d26ae10445dbb164.png

Edited by KSV

Sometimes a move is just too big for a player. He hasn't grabbed the shirt with both hands and made it his own. Every time I've seen him play he's looked completely lost and bang average.

His form at Barnsley would suggest otherwise, but he just hasn't done it here at all so far. If he has to make way for someone who could improve us I wouldn't be against it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KSV said:

I want an explanation to the following. Obviously its the same season and the same league. 

His stats are down in attack which is obvious with less goals and assists. But look at his defensive drop off as well??

His tackles per game are down.. his passing average is down.. his clearances and blocks are down. Is he just not working hard enough as he thinks he made it or the passion isnt at the club for us or is it his position.. confidence? His confidence should have been high! 

Wtf has happened. It is imperative we get him in the side and in a similar role to the way Barnsley used to him. 

I think a lot of it is down to fact Bruce seems to bypass the midfield with his preferred way of football. 

When that happens players like Hourihane are going to be not as involved as they can. 

Again, like Hogan I'm left questioning if we actually scouted him and saw how he would work on our team

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KSV said:

Steve Bruce 'happened'.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

I imagine Barnsley have the ball on fewer occasions than Aston Villa - so his defensive side will naturally just be nowhere near as highlighted. 

I also imagine that teams will defend more against Aston Villa than they do against Barnsley, so he probably doesn't find the space to create/shoot as much.

But, hey, it's probably all Steve Bruce's fault. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I imagine Barnsley have the ball on fewer occasions than Aston Villa - so his defensive side will naturally just be nowhere near as highlighted. 

I also imagine that teams will defend more against Aston Villa than they do against Barnsley, so he probably doesn't find the space to create/shoot as much.

But, hey, it's probably all Steve Bruce's fault. 

No it's just a coincidence that Bree, Lansbury, Hourihane and Hogan literally went from performing well for their teams to sitting on the bench or performing poorly the minute they signed. 

Can't possibly be anything to do with the person who makes all decisions about the team, the positions and the way they play. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

No it's just a coincidence that Bree, Lansbury, Hourihane and Hogan literally went from performing well for their teams to sitting on the bench or performing poorly the minute they signed. 

Can't possibly be anything to do with the person who makes all decisions about the team, the positions and the way they play. 

I think you're right. I wish it wasn't the case, but the players mentioned (apart from possibly Bree, if he's ever given a chance) do not suit Brucie football..

• Like 1

Â