Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

I've noticed as well watching games with no crowds that he does a lot of talking on the pitch and rallying when the intensity drops or so.

He is not our best player but with the system that is now in place, some of his deficencies can be covered for and his qualities are then accentuated. Since lockdown we were a much much better side with him in it.

I never understood the suggestions that he was some soft guy either. Last season vs Leeds he was in the thick of the action and when Jack was attacked he was 1st guy confronting powderfists

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I never understood the suggestions that he was some soft guy either. Last season vs Leeds he was in the thick of the action and when Jack was attacked he was 1st guy confronting powderfists

He's far from soft. Apparently Cork lads are all like that?

However, he's hidden from the ball in many games but that has all changed these last few games. Seen a different side to him. Always loved him because of his output (sounds rude) but now he's added some much needed steel.

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think these suggestions come beacuse he is easily pushed off the ball and loses duels. I don't think that is to do with being soft - it's more a technical problem. I think it's to do with him not being very dynamic. He is quite one paced and can't really do quick changes in direction. I don't think I've ever seen him go past a man. He can't really adjust his feet quick enough to set himself, his balance is then compromised so he can be pushed off the ball easily but it's not that he's not getting stuck in.

However, he is persistent and has great determination. He has been dropped time and time again and always comes back better. He's definitely someone I would hold on to as he definitely provides more positives than negatives.

• Like 4

I was surprised to see he only had 5 assists for the season earlier. Felt like he had almost double that. Certainly been times when his set pieces feel like our only route to a goal. I guess often it is knock downs etc and then a goal so he doesn't get the stat. 

He's certainly improved defensively since lockdown. The Prem for large parts seem to pass him by as he simply wasn't able to get near the ball. 

There are still games (mostly against top sides) when his lack of athleticism is going to mean he is a passengers though. Liverpool and Chelsea post lockdown being good examples. So a new CM is almost as high a priority as a striker and winger for me. 

Brilliant squad man though, definite keeper without a doubt. 

He is definitely a bit soft. Never once seen him go in to a 50-50.If someone running at him he usual course of action is to back off back off back off and back off some more. Which isnt a bad thing to wait for the cavalry but he never at any point steps on, he passes everyone off.

He just isnt very good at this level. You would hope if you plan to bag 40 pts you wouldn't want him featuring too much.

Sorry Conor.

• Like 2

On 27/07/2020 at 15:25, Zatman said:

He’s soft in the tackle and contesting for loose balls. I agree mentally he isn’t soft, but he just lacks the physique to really compete in the middle of the park at this level.

When we get the rest of the team’s shape  right (or oppo are weak), as happened increasingly towards end of the season, it is possible to squeeze him into the 11 and benefit from his abilities on the dead ball and around the box.

So I think both his critics and his supporters are right, they’re just looking at it from different angles. Fair play to him, he clearly has character. Definitely earned this place in the 11 this season, and belongs in the squad next season. But we can’t pretend he doesn’t have some serious limitations.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I would say pound for pound he is one of best signings in the past 10 years.

Agree with this. Think he'll go down as a bit of a cult hero once his time here is done, has his limitations but works hard and has scored some massive goals for us. Seems to really care about the club as well. Remember Newcastle game earlier in the season when he came back into the team, so much excitement every time we got a free kick in a good position

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't. He has a wicked left peg and seems like a likeable bloke, but he is way to slow and soft for me to wanna see him in any role. 

Everyone's been saying this for a while, his stats suggest he has a role to play.

I think he is massively under rated.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't. He has a wicked left peg and seems like a likeable bloke, but he is way to slow and soft for me to wanna see him in any role. 

Thats true.

but I like him too....He is an enigma, no doubt, but that left peg is a weapon.

I think in a better team he would shine more.....His left peg is well documented, but some of his late arrivals in and around the box puts him in dangerous positions too.

I wouldn't get rid....just get better players in and he will be a squaddie.

I think, when he plays, he needs to be closer to the CF so that we can use his attacking/shooting ability. He’s a good player for the squad but not good enough for the first team. Maybe he can improve as he seemed “at it” for our last few games...

I just think it’s a shame that we rarely take advantage of all the fouls we (well, Grealish 😆) wins and rarely look dangerous from set pieces. Conor is all we have for that atm and it certainly isn’t one of Jacks strengths. 

On 27/07/2020 at 16:03, rodders0223 said:

He is definitely a bit soft. Never once seen him go in to a 50-50.If someone running at him he usual course of action is to back off back off back off and back off some more. Which isnt a bad thing to wait for the cavalry but he never at any point steps on, he passes everyone off.

He just isnt very good at this level. You would hope if you plan to bag 40 pts you wouldn't want him featuring too much.

Sorry Conor.

The problem is Jack don't either, so we are now runing out of those that do.....and there lies the problem.

If we had some midfielders that do and win them encounters, Conor would be less noticable, for not doing so.

We are very short of midfielders who put their foot in.....and you need them especially away from home.

Edited by TRO

Â