Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

I hope we have got a few things highlighted today. In fairness to Conor he isn't a DM and I don't blame him for the result in anyway. He was decent the first 45 as well but he isn't quick enough or strong enough for the role and everybody knows this. He doesn't turn out side well and only inside well with his left. He is therefore restricted in his movement playing that role. Most knew he would struggle as a few others did today. We cannot play the same lightweight central midfield we got away with in the championship though or we are going to get bullied.

If there is one lesson I hope they have all taken away from today is not to piss around with the ball in silly areas taking our time. You don't get time. It's a fallacy that you get more time on the ball in the PL compared to the Championship as today has shown. Teams shut you down much quicker and press much higher in the Prem. We need to adapt asap at least to that. Moving the ball quicker is imperative.  

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

A fine performance and didn't really do much wrong. I'm just not sure I want Hourihane playing DM for us in the long term. 

Pretty much it, didn't do a great deal wrong, but doesn't do enough, not against sides at this level at least.

I'm surprised that Dean Smith continues to play him as DM, hopefully it's Luiz's position from now on with Marvellous as back up. When the going gets tough, Conor goes missing. Sure he runs back and tries, but the problem is that when the pressure is on he doesn't want the ball, he goes missing. It forced Grealish and McGinn to play further back and is like we play with one player less, and moreover the player who should be the most important in our build up play.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

now....i dislike Conor in the DM role.......

but, in all fairness watch Spurs 3rd goal, Luiz gets ran past like hes not there, and Luiz doesnt even try to bust a gut to get back, if Conor did that we would all go nuts......hopefully Luiz just needs to get up to speed, but that wasnt acceptable by Luiz, just as it wouldnt have been acceptable from Conor.

P.S - i hope Luiz or Nakamba replaces Conor next week :P

More concerned with Jack having a nap on the ball.

Just now, TRO said:

More concerned with Jack having a nap on the ball.

yeah that was for the second goal wasnt it?, i said in a previous post back in July about Jack that he seems to have issues with people running up behind him and taking the ball off him, and he doesnt even notice them coming, did it a few times last season as well.

i love Jack etc, but if he has a real weakness its this, he has done it a few times, really surprised he hasnt sorted that one out yet.....

2 hours ago, pete101 said:

For me he had great game up to about the 70th min and then looked gased

He was solid first half, but when that Danish lad was subbed on, he wasn't at the races.  

He just lacks the physical attributes. And like avfc1982am says his one -footedness is a big problem for him. Against the best sides in this league where you defend a lot for 90 min he is the wrong dmc pick for me. 

I think there is a lot of unfair criticism aimed towards Conor H. I think he had a pretty decent game today against the Champions league runners up. His not going to play every game but i think he will be an important part of the squad this season. Its one game only .

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

I think there is a lot of unfair criticism aimed towards Conor H. I think he had a pretty decent game today against the Champions league runners up. His not going to play every game but i think he will be an important part of the squad this season. Its one game only .

Had a good game. Agree with your post 

17 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

now....i dislike Conor in the DM role.......

but, in all fairness watch Spurs 3rd goal, Luiz gets ran past like hes not there, and Luiz doesnt even try to bust a gut to get back, if Conor did that we would all go nuts......hopefully Luiz just needs to get up to speed, but that wasnt acceptable by Luiz, just as it wouldnt have been acceptable from Conor.

P.S - i hope Luiz or Nakamba replaces Conor next week :P

Agree.

Yet people were screaming for Luiz to start today. For me that 3rd goal highlighted just why he didn't.

That's not a dig at Luiz as such (all 3 subs were ineffective in difficult circumstances) but he didn't look match fit (understandably)

Hopefully moving forward him or Nakamba will step up to the plate. 

Conor today was pretty much like many of our team, decent first half, not at the races in the second.

He was good today. He did give the ball away cheaply a few times, but his work rate and passing ability are of this league. Write Connor off at your peril, Douglas Luiz will be gunning for him, but Douglas will have to be some player to replace Connor. 

CH is never a DM and I doubt even a PL player. Yes he is good a set pieces but in open play he has no confidence on the ball. We desperately needed strength in the middle today and he just hasn’t got it. When Luiz settles I reckon CH will be on the bench. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

He was good today. He did give the ball away cheaply a few times, but his work rate and passing ability are of this league. Write Connor off at your peril, Douglas Luiz will be gunning for him, but Douglas will have to be some player to replace Connor. 

Amazing how we see players so differently. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MikeMcKenna said:

CH is never a DM and I doubt even a PL player. Yes he is good a set pieces but in open play he has no confidence on the ball. We desperately needed strength in the middle today and he just hasn’t got it. When Luiz settles I reckon CH will be on the bench. 

He ain't good enough at DM and he knows it. Puts himself out of harms way so he can't receive the ball when we need him to. Controls it the way he is facing and always always goes to the left foot, you can watch him once and see how you get the ball off him.

Maybe, maybe he can play as one of the two further forward but he's doesn't have engine like McGinn or ball carrying like Grealish so he'll have to reinvent the role somewhat to succeed there.

Â