The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

Second place is still definitely achievable. We should be aiming for nothing less than automatic promotion. Newcastle *should* walk away with the league.

Brighton, Huddersfield, Norwich etc will drop points. If we are consistent, and around the playoffs come the end of the year then there is absolutely no reason why not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Win today could be very useful as those teams immediately above us QPR, Preston, Barnsley (God that's depressing to write) are all away.

I still do a double take at the table every now and again, it makes it all very real doesn't it? I think you are bang on, a win today, 3 more points, we would be unbeaten in 5, and things seem so much better than where we were in Sept. What a difference an actual manager and a few weeks can make.

Edited by alreadyexists

It's very important we get 3 points today.

Straight after the break we have Brighton away. The timing and the form Brighton are in easily makes that our most difficult game of the season I reckon, a draw there would be a very good result.

Then Cardiff at home who are improving under Warnock. Think we have Leeds and Norwich aswell so very important we've got points on the board and moved away from the bottom 3.

If we can get through that period o.k then I'd expect us to motor over the xmas/new year period when we have plenty of winnable games.

On 04/11/2016 at 11:24, BOF said:

What's with this "aiming" for 2nd or 6th or whatever position?  Genuinely.  What's the difference on the pitch between aiming for 2nd or aiming for 6th?  Do you somehow apply a lower percentage of effort if aiming for the lower position over the course of a season?  It's bollocks if you ask me.  You don't aim for somewhere.  You try to win every single game and you see where your efforts and your ability ends up at the end of the season.  If we're good enough for 2nd we'll get 2nd.  The whole notion of aiming for something is also a very dangerous psychological mindset to have, because it also allows for easing off if everything starts to go really well.

This is a good point. The only aim we should have is to smash Blackburn as hard as we can. 

Only then should we have a new aim which is to dismantle Brighton. 

• Like 1

I don't think ANYBODY is going to stop the Geordies...unfortunately, definitely not us, the turnaround in results for both teams just seems too unlikely.

2nd is something we should be striving for though. I haven't been overly impressed with any performance since SB took over, (Wolves and B-lose were actually disappointing) but we got the points on the board to get some momentum going. Results bring confidence so I'm hoping individual and team performances will continue to improve. 

A few people have stated they don't think we're good enough to even make the play-offs! I'd strongly disagree with that. We're still on paper (yes, I know!) One of the stronger teams in this league. 

I agree when people say anyone can beat anyone in this league, and this indicates to me a certain low-standard much of a muchness. The problem we'll have all season is that EVERY team will want to beat moneybags Villa just a little bit more, try harder to do so. Under RDM, we never seemed to grasp this fact, never seemed to match our opponent's intensity or determination, or BELIEF, for that matter!

Our slow start and those late lapses gave every team added confidence and determination to keep going for the full 90. Under pressure, low on confidence and with nothing coming from RDM in terms of tactics or leadership, we were getting worse, floundering in fact.

So while we're not performing as I'd like at the moment SB has certainly addressed the issue of matching our opponent's intensity and effort. That's a good place to start, I expect the better performances to follow. I do think there's a little too much to do for top 2 but I do EXPECT a play-off spot. 

Sorry for the long-winded post! :P

We've got every chance of promotion this season, but have to take it one game at a time and try to build the momentum. A win today is a must, it will send us into the break with a feel good factor and with time on our side to prefer for Brighton, and confidence, we'll be primed for a good result. 

Saying that, we could easily lose but promotion is still on the cards. We'll know more by January :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

Playoffs? The question is more whether we finish 1st or 2nd.

We are still 10 points off second, we need to have an incredible run to get their, love the optimism though.

Would like us to go on a run akin to Fulhams promotion season where I think they won 10 or more in a row!

• Like 1

A huge positive is the fact our goal difference is equal to the teams already in the play off positions. So as we win games and close the gap, the goal difference will hopefully become greater than the teams were challenging. 

I believe Huddersfield and Reading will fall away, as will Bristol City. Leeds look good, and Monk has them playing well. 

Bruce has given us a knack of winning games, which is invaluable. 11 points from 15 is fantastic, and I can see us being in and around the top 6 by Christmas. We have huge games against Norwich and Brighton yet to play, with Leeds in to play twice around December and January. 

The hunt is most definitely on. 

P.S we have Brighton at home last day of the season. Imagine if it's a one off game for 2nd place. 

Edited by villan-scott
  • Like 1

Y'Know that Leeds team who a few weeks back were in the bottom 3 and Garry Monk was one game away from being Cellinoed and sacked in the morning...

Now in the play offs....I really refuse to believe anyone can type with a straight face we have little chance of the play offs....we are well in contention now.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Would like us to go on a run akin to Fulhams promotion season where I think they won 10 or more in a row!

If Bruce is given huge funds in January,  he fills all the holes which we all know are there (as undoubtedly does Bruce) then why not? 

There is not much in this league to worry us now even with massive midfield deficiencies. If he has the pick of the players he wants the sky's the limit. 

Losing Kodjia in January will be massive. I know Dr said we have plans for it.. but who can come in and fire straight away without having to 'settle'. Is this why Gabby is being built up again by Bruce? physically and mentally.