The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Agreed, but I think the skepticism comes from the fact that we will pretty much need to be at the top of the form table consistently for the rest of the season just to catch up to the playoff spots.

Over the course of a full season yes, we'd have to be in the top 6 of the 'form table' to finish in the playoff positions ;)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

We really don't, though. 

We're 6 points off the playoffs with 31 games remaining. We need to gain 1 point every 5 games on the team in 6th. That's 1 extra win per 15 games. Consider how awful we've been for the most part, I don't think that points increase is some massively difficult task.

Also this isn't the premier league with a static top 6, this league is so random that the team at the top at the moment could finish mid table.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I dont care about our football atm because as a club we were in a mess

DrX allowed us a budget - players were brought in and out - the chosen manager didnt work so now we have plan Bruce.

Bruce has done exactly what I thought he would do.

He's opened the fridge and seen that all we have in it is bottled water, some butter and 2 months supply of cheese. In the breadbin he found 4 loaves of bread.

So our meals will be cheese sandwiches and water untill the we can go shopping in jan

The prizes are given out in May so all he can do is make the best of what we have then stock up in jan

so we must simply wait till jan to see how far he can get us on Cheese sandwiches, the better he does till then, the better our chances are. DrX has funds and will spend as much needed.

So a playoff is still not out of the question. And 8pts from 4 is down to SB and his methods so far.

so lets hope, shit play or not, that he gets us pts on the board and some belief from the squad. Jan ins will be bonuses and even more belief for the club if he gets it right.

So while all the other teams pee in each others soup, we should keep our sarnies well wrapped up and fresh, tick over nice and steady and brace ourselves for a final push Feb->May with confidence, belief and all our leaks plugged

The question then becomes, once Bruce and Tony have been to Waitrose can Steve cook up a nice potato gratin, sear a piece of foie gras and deliver a souflé that we can all enjoy?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

The question then becomes, once Bruce and Tony have been to Waitrose can Steve cook up a nice potato gratin, sear a piece of foie gras and deliver a souflé that we can all enjoy?

Christ, your Waitrose is very different to the one round here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Just so people know, if we win Saturday and Norwich lose we are only 6 points away from them and we still have to play them twice. 

Out of interest why Norwich? Bristol City are 6th Brighton are 2nd they're the positions we need to focus on. I don't care who we get if we make the playoffs!! 

16 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Out of interest why Norwich? Bristol City are 6th Brighton are 2nd they're the positions we need to focus on. I don't care who we get if we make the playoffs!! 

Nor wich I would still say are favourites for 2nd, I know Brighton occupy 2nd at the mo but they crumbled last year therefore is possible.

23 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I would be happy with a nice tasty curry to be honest. But without that weird red stringy stuff they have all started putting on top lately. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Nor wich I would still say are favourites for 2nd, I know Brighton occupy 2nd at the mo but they crumbled last year therefore is possible.

Yeah. . . . . . But Brighton Rock!! 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think Norwich are hitting some trouble with the manager under immense pressure. Hopefully Brighton do crumble as that's where we should be aiming. 

3 hours ago, dn1982 said:

I think Norwich are hitting some trouble with the manager under immense pressure. Hopefully Brighton do crumble as that's where we should be aiming. 

I would like it if we aimed for 1st.

We are only 5 wins off catching Newcastle.

I do not believe for a second that they can go from now until may without losing 5 games or dropping points in that time.

If we can be sitting in the play off positions come January I would have good money on us really being able to achieve it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I would like it if we aimed for 1st.

We are only 5 wins off catching Newcastle.

I do not believe for a second that they can go from now until may without losing 5 games or dropping points in that time.

If we can be sitting in the play off positions come January I would have good money on us really being able to achieve it!

No chance as that would mean we would have to not lose anything. 1st is way out of our reach, 2nd seems to be abit if a stretch at the moment but top 6 I'm feeling confident

• Like 1

If Newcastle were ahead by 25 points then yes, deffo, but 16 pts is bugger all in this league! 31 games still to go!  93 points up for grabs.

Like I say, if you think Newcastle and Brighton can sustain their positions without trouble between now and May then that is just being unrealistic.

Just wait until Xmas kicks in. The nitty gritty of the fixtures and league will soon take shape.

As I stated previously if we are in the play off positions come the January window then I feel we have a good a chance as the top 2 to go and win this league.

All big if's and could be's.. but it is still not impossible!

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

If Newcastle were ahead by 25 points then yes, deffo, but 16 pts is bugger all in this league! 31 games still to go!  93 points up for grabs.

Like I say, if you think Newcastle and Brighton can sustain their positions without trouble between now and May then that is just being unrealistic.

Just wait until Xmas kicks in. The nitty gritty of the fixtures and league will soon take shape.

As I stated previously if we are in the play off positions come the January window then I feel we have a good a chance as the top 2 to go and win this league.

I dont think saying Newcastle sustaining their current position in unrealistic at all. They are steam rollering this league, after early problems they have bounced back and betaking near enough everyone. Brighton like I said maybe not, but at this stage I just cannot see us finishing top . We would have to win something like 8-10 games straight and hope others lose. The statistics are not on our side unfortunately. Top top it off I think January will be a very tough month for us 

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think the point is that we'd need to be 16 points better off from the remaining games than Newcastle which is probably quite unlikely to happen

• Like 2

A win tomorrow would set us up nicely for the international break, if we win we're likely to end up in the top half of the table and will probably be 4/5 points off playoffs which is a real improvement on where we were pre-Bruce.

I don't think it will be easy tomorrow but it would be great to win by 2 or more goals.