Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I just wish we all could have a bit more patience. We can't keep hounding out manager after manager. We are becoming a bigger joke than Newcastle. There is far less patience in football now I understand. Let's hope the 4K travelling support get behind Bruce and the starting 11.

In all my 47 years of watching us I've never once wanted us to lose - although Blackburn last year was funny.

IF it is the difference between him staying and going I will - with no joy - want it tonight.

Its a long way to go for that but I think it's worth it.

Why ? Because I have no faith, none, that he can get us promoted - as much by listening to him as by the bang average stats and poor performances.

Yet IMO we MUST go up this season.

Therefore he must go, and the sooner the better.

Gives me no pleasure at all. In fact I'm angry and miserable about it, but it'll be a price worth paying.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've just read Bruce's pre match comments on the official site.

"I will maybe look at different personnel or a different formation again. Maybe we're not ready to play strikers again. I will look at all those things."

Bruce has been the Villa manager for ten months and by his own admission he still doesn't have a clue about what to do next. He has to go now before he does any further damage, and if it takes another loss to get rid of him then so be it.

Isn't this likely to be a misprint on the OS - taken from the quote about not being ready to play 2 strikers?

Anyway - tonight:  I'd take scratchy 0-1 win from an own goal or penalty, but a performance that sees the back of Bruce.  Win-Win.

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

Unfortunately SB is in a win win situation. 

Win - keeps job

draw - keeps job/sacked with a payoff

Lose - sack with a payoff

We are on a lose lose situation

Win - he stays

draw - he stays

loses - he goes -> what now?

is a plan B in place?

There's always a Plan B....

Samba player manager.

11 minutes ago, terrytini said:

In all my 47 years of watching us I've never once wanted us to lose - although Blackburn last year was funny.

IF it is the difference between him staying and going I will - with no joy - want it tonight.

Its a long way to go for that but I think it's worth it.

Why ? Because I have no faith, none, that he can get us promoted - as much by listening to him as by the bang average stats and poor performances.

Yet IMO we MUST go up this season.

Therefore he must go, and the sooner the better.

Gives me no pleasure at all. In fact I'm angry and miserable about it, but it'll be a price worth paying.

Who's going to come in and rescue us? Getting rid of Bruce won't give us much more of a chance if any at all.

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

If you think its the players, fine.  I dont.

It's partly the players fault. The problem is our next manager won't like blah blah and will want to bring in X and Y and we will spunk another few million. Keep repeating for the next 5-10 years and you have the Aston Villa story.

• Like 2

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

It's partly the players fault. The problem is our next manager won't like blah blah and will want to bring in X and Y and we will spunk another few million. Keep repeating for the next 5-10 years and you have the Aston Villa story.

Fine, for me he has to go, he's been awful, progressed precisely nowhere, and is talking increasing cobblers.

Makes no difference what happened in the past for me, he has to go, no way around it. All the arguments have been done to do death. Some think we should stick with him, fine, others don't. I don't.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Who's going to come in and rescue us? Getting rid of Bruce won't give us much more of a chance if any at all.

At the moment, we have no chance under Bruce. None. He has had 40 games to show some glimmer of hope. That IS being patient. No good being patient if things will not improve. How will much longer do you propose we give him? 10 games, 50, 100? Because if we do, we will not get out of this league (unless we get relegated). Fat lot of good being patient will have done us.

10 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

That is why we need a 'Proven manager' who will take us out this league and stay to make us the Prem team we need to be again.

No more quick fixes and then we go through the notion again in 12 months.. imo

26 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I bet Fulham were asking them the same thing. I bet Blose were saying the same thing.

For me Bruce has built a good team here and improved us to where we were, but we have looked a shambles at the back end of last season and the warning signings in pre season were there. i myself was guilty of admitting just a friendly but after witnessing 3 games this season we look worse than last season despite adding to the squad. I mean Whelan despite the early days looks nowhere near as good as jedinak. Then he doesnt have many options and has completely frozen out Mccormack who for me is desperately needed to get the best out of Hogan. But we have not seen or heard anything about him.

Just  a catalogue  of cock ups from Bruce 

57 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We're only two games in.

Previously he's given plenty of game time to Green, he's given game time to RHM, he's given a debut to Davies and O'Hare and he's signed Bree.

He probably could do more, you can always do more.

But I feel like there is a myth that he never plays young players and it's just not true.

There's plenty to criticise him about, I just don't think this is one of them.

I think it's less about playing the youth/giving them a chance as it is rewarding poor performances with being back in the starting XI (Hutton, Gabby, Lansbury) and not rewarding good performance (O'Hare, Bree, Steer) with opportunity. He doesn't appear to know what to do to get results, yet sticks with the formula.

Just now, a m ole said:

I think it's less about playing the youth/giving them a chance as it is rewarding poor performances with being back in the starting XI (Hutton, Gabby, Lansbury) and not rewarding good performance (O'Hare, Bree, Steer) with opportunity. He doesn't appear to know what to do to get results, yet sticks with the formula.

Again I slightly disagree, for a number of reasons.

O'Hare. Rarely will a player of that age play well and suddenly be a certain starter. Especially in a position where we actually have a lot of options.

Again, if O'Hare wasn't to feature again for a while, then I'd understand the criticism. But it's one game. And the U23's had a big game yesterday. It's totally natural for a player like O'Hare to flit between both squads. I'd fully expect him to be involved on Saturday.

On Steer, again I disagree that off the back of one good cup game he should be straight into the first team. Especially as Johnstone had performed well in the first game. What kind of message does that send to our supposed number 1? 
This is coming from someone who doesn't particularly rate Johnstone. But Goalkeeper is a position where it's slightly different. You don't just drop your number 1 keeper because your reserve had one good game.

Bree, I'm more than happy for him to be in the team. I just don't think he's shown much in a Villa shirt yet. But if it gets Hutton out of the lineup then I'm fine with it!

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Again I slightly disagree, for a number of reasons.

O'Hare. Rarely will a player of that age play well and suddenly be a certain starter. Especially in a position where we actually have a lot of options.

Again, if O'Hare wasn't to feature again for a while, then I'd understand the criticism. But it's one game. And the U23's had a big game yesterday. It's totally natural for a player like O'Hare to flit between both squads. I'd fully expect him to be involved on Saturday.

On Steer, again I disagree that off the back of one good cup game he should be straight into the first team. Especially as Johnstone had performed well in the first game. What kind of message does that send to our supposed number 1? 
This is coming from someone who doesn't particularly rate Johnstone. But Goalkeeper is a position where it's slightly different. You don't just drop your number 1 keeper because your reserve had one good game.

Bree, I'm more than happy for him to be in the team. I just don't think he's shown much in a Villa shirt yet. But if it gets Hutton out of the lineup then I'm fine with it!

I get what you're saying, but I think it's a trait appearing to fans in Bruce that he won't make a bold decision in order to change our fortunes. Similar to subs and tactical switches in games. I think it's at that stage where what we're doing is evidently not going to bring success so making that change becomes less of a risk.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I could write a long old post ripping Bruce's latest words apart, frankly I can't be arsed as everything he says now adds more rope.

Win, lose or draw this evening he has lost my support. I think the future of the club is better served with him removed from post.

Bruce out.

Agreed. 

A magnificent 4-0 win wouldn't make me change my mind. 

Until I see a consistent approach that gets results then I fully believe he should be gone. I've got no faith he will be able to deliver. 

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I get what you're saying, but I think it's a trait appearing to fans in Bruce that he won't make a bold decision in order to change our fortunes. Similar to subs and tactical switches in games. I think it's at that stage where what we're doing is evidently not going to bring success so making that change becomes less of a risk.

I don't disagree with this. I guess I'm just saying the O'hare thing in isolation isn't something to be so angry about.

• Like 1

Â