Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Frankly Roma, how we'll play and what we'll achieve remains to be seen. I'd say that it's perfectly likely that if few grind out a few wins and the confidence goes up, we'll see some nice football from the players we have as they'll feel freer and emboldened to do what they're good at. 

In any case, a good start to the season is key.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

I can appreciate the sentiment behind your comment, but surely you can recognise that we won a penalty, gabby had a 1on1, a goal disallowed and countless crosses into the box. Surely there must be some positive football in there somewhere?

I think the worry for me is if playing at home and 0-0 after 80 minutes. Is Bruce brave enough to go for a victory or hold on for the draw

I dont think he has that courage and will cost us 

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think the worry for me is if playing at home and 0-0 after 80 minutes. Is Bruce brave enough to go for a victory or hold on for the draw

We need a manager who isn't too foolhardy either and it entirely depends on the context. Sometimes it makes sense to go for it, other times it doesn't and it's better to try and guarantee the point. I'd rather a measured approach than a Sherwood PASHUN approach where we stupidly go for it and end up losing the game. 

2 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

I haven't seen the stats, i'd be interested to see them if you can dig them out. I just remember us crumbling under pressure and condeeding almost every game in the last 10 mins. Watching RDM's villa was like watching Freddie Flintoffs boxing bout, lots of punches thrown (none of which connect), and absolutely no defence.

We conceded something like 11 goals in the 10 games RDM was here and ended up conceding 48 in total, so more or less a goal a game for both of them. You are right though we always seemed to concede right at the end under RDM. And of course you're absolutely correct when you say overall we were disjointed, to put it politely, mainly because he spent a fortune and forgot to bother buying any midfielders or centre backs, (decent ones anyway). Your Freddie Flintoff boxing match sums it up perfectly!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

When he first came he did go for it but he got more negative as we went on. Hopefully being able to play with 2 in CM we can become better at attacking. 

38 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just had a quick read and I see there are still concerns about creating chances. Lets not forget we were playing against a mid table premier league team. 

And we camped in their half for a lot of the game. And we played a solid, high defensive line. And we got players breaking  from midfield. And we closed down quickly high up the pitch. 

A hairs breadth and a decent Gabby finish away from a very convincing performance against Premier opposition. 

There was nothing to not like about yesterday, apart from Grealish getting injured. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just had a quick read and I see there are still concerns about creating chances. Lets not forget we were playing against a mid table premier league team. 

Why shouldn't we forget? If we forget then it fits our negative world view. The cheek!

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

And we camped in their half for a lot of the game. And we played a solid, high defensive line. And we got players breaking  from midfield. And we closed down quickly high up the pitch. 

A hairs breadth and a decent Gabby finish away from a very convincing performance against Premier opposition. 

There was nothing to not like about yesterday, apart from Grealish getting injured. 

relying on Gabby... Jesus wept!

4 minutes ago, villakram said:

relying on Gabby... Jesus wept!

I hope not, he just happened to start yesterday and had the best chance. Same old Gabby, he had more than a second to think about it and cocked it up. 

Would've been interesting to see Hogan in that first half as we turned them around a few times, but Gabby doesn't have the brains to make the most of it. He worked hard and caused them problems though, can't knock him for that. 

5 hours ago, lexicon said:

Frankly Roma, how we'll play and what we'll achieve remains to be seen. I'd say that it's perfectly likely that if few grind out a few wins and the confidence goes up, we'll see some nice football from the players we have as they'll feel freer and emboldened to do what they're good at. 

In any case, a good start to the season is key.

I'm just talking about what we've seen, no crystal ball involved. Last season we had 2 halves where we looked good, not in the same game. The preseason, whilst being far from defining the season, has been appalling in terms of attacking football. My comments are based on that. Personally if Bruce gets us winning games and not looking like a bunch of complete strangers going forward I'll be delighted.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I'm just talking about what we've seen, no crystal ball involved. Last season we had 2 halves where we looked good, not in the same game. The preseason, whilst being far from defining the season, has been appalling in terms of attacking football. My comments are based on that. Personally if Bruce gets us winning games and not looking like a bunch of complete strangers going forward I'll be delighted.

But we've had 7 pre-season games, won 4, drawn 2 and lost 1. Scoring 13 times, conceding 2 times. 

• Like 1

I've not said much in this thread over the summer as well it's been a thread to avoid.

My thoughts on Bruce though. 

He is the right man for the job, but he has no excuses now. The squad for me is by far the best in the league, no other team can boast of the squad we have. For me we have the 3 best defenders in the league (Taylor, Terry, Chester), 3 of the best 10 midfielders in the league and 2 strikers who could easily get 15 goals each. No one should be touching us. We should stay below 30 goals conceded and we should score plenty of goals.

If after 10 games we aren't on 20 points, then questions really have to asked over Bruce and whether he is the right man.

• Like 3

Â