Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Why do many of us feel that we have the best squad in the league?

We have one of the strongest. Middlesbrough's squad is a lot stronger than ours imo.

I don't rate Monk that much as a manager. Plus I think the defence is pretty weak. They'll also be low on confidence after last yr.

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I don't rate Monk that much as a manager. Plus I think the defence is pretty weak. They'll also be low on confidence after last yr.

I do rate him as a manager, he like his teams to play football. Backed by the Boro chairman too. He did a good job at Leeds. I expect Boro to be top six at least.

34 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Why do many of us feel that we have the best squad in the league?

We have one of the strongest. Middlesbrough's squad is a lot stronger than ours imo.

We've got the best defence, the best midfield, the best attack and probably the most strength in depth (as it stands). 

Boro have  brought in 7 new players and apparently want 3/4 more. They could be good, I'll give you that, but that's a lot of new players for new manager, of a relegated team to get settled and playing. Wouldn't really swap any of theirs for ours either on paper.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I've not said much in this thread over the summer as well it's been a thread to avoid.

My thoughts on Bruce though. 

He is the right man for the job, but he has no excuses now. The squad for me is by far the best in the league, no other team can boast of the squad we have. For me we have the 3 best defenders in the league (Taylor, Terry, Chester), 3 of the best 10 midfielders in the league and 2 strikers who could easily get 15 goals each. No one should be touching us. We should stay below 30 goals conceded and we should score plenty of goals.

If after 10 games we aren't on 20 points, then questions really have to asked over Bruce and whether he is the right man.

Thats where i am at too Mikey no more excuses now.

15 hours ago, Zatman said:

the defence didnt need to be fixed

Yes it did.....it most emphatically did......we was using too many players to defend, that was the problem.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mykeyb said:

I wasn't at the game today so can I ask was this from the same players who you questioned the ability of when staunchly defending the manager or was just the new guys

You can ask......

i would say that the new players had a significant effect on the current players, so i think my staunchly defending the manager has been vindicated.

but, we are still in progress, so enjoy the ride.

11 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

The thing that most people recognise is that we have one of, if not the best squad in the Championship. So if the team fails surely the finger of blame can't be at the quality of the players, it would be only logical to look at the way they are coached and organised?

Well lets wait and see......and if it all comes good, i sincerely hope there is a few on here who have the humility to recognise it.

utv

12 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

Fair enough, youre always going to have it's a glass full/empty scenario. To be honest I can see your logic and I can't  disagree with the reasoning behind your points. 

But for me we came into this league with one of the worst defences I have ever seen, we now have the best in the league. We came into this league with the most flimsy ineffective midfield I have ever witnessed, Bruce has almost fixed that. Attacking wise I can agree it's not the most effective and we will no doubt be frustrated at times, but with the quality of Kodija and gabby looking as though he's hungry, I have faith.

Last season I remember watching Bruce's press conferences and every time he'd bemoan the team's inability to keep the ball and play out his game plan. Since then he's bought in Whelan, Terry and Elmo who have all played well this pre season, mainly when it comes to playing the ball forward. There were a lot of times yesterday when the team looked intent on progressing down the pitch, which was rarely seen last year..which is what I was alluring to in my previous post.

As you said this is all pure speculation and the first few results will provide clarity. But, for me Bruce is no mug and I can see he's identified our weaknesses and is making progress, which is why I'm positive.

Good post that.

interesting for me.....how many doubters will pick up on your comments.....he'd bemoan the teams ability to to keep the ball and play out his game plan.

who has actually answered that point?

why did all the fantastic managers at Man city fail to get anything our of Richards?

why did the great SAF fail with djemba djemba

Managers can only do so much, they are not magicians.

its the players we should be looking at.....and right now i am getting more pleased by the day.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Nobody thought we would come back playing majestic free flowing football, this is a Steve Bruce side after all. I don't understand why people come out with this sort of stuff, its just not true and its just an attempt to make peoples legitimate concerns and frustrations seem unreasonable.

And yes his football will win games, nobody is saying that it won't the question is will it win enough? A second question is his football good enough given the resources at his disposal?

It isn't really about entertainment, I don't think that is really peoples issue it certainly isn't mine. Sure entertainment would be lovely but I overall I want promotion and I don't much care how we get it, my issue is currently I'm not convinced the way Bruce has us playing will achieve it.

I was one of O'Neill's biggest critics but I absolutely disagree with your last point.

Sorry trent......but i really fail to understand that, perhaps you can explain more clearly.

" It isn't about entertainment, i don't think that is peoples issue it certainly isn't mine.sure entertaintment would be lovely but i overall want promotion and i don't much care how we get it, my issue is currently, I'm not convinced the way Bruce had us playing will achieve it"

its been said by a number of posters and supported by the bookmakers , that we will get promoted.

it seems to me folk flit from results to performances when the moment suits.....most fans feel Steve will get results.....the eye candy is less sure.....yet you say you would be happy with the results bit, but are not convinced on that either.

I am actually unsure where your position is., other than you don't fancy Bruce....but hey ho.....it all starts in earnest soon, so we can all reflect on the suppositions.

......just to emphathise, i did'nt favour O'neill either.

Utv

2 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

We've got the best defence, the best midfield, the best attack and probably the most strength in depth (as it stands). 

Boro have  brought in 7 new players and apparently want 3/4 more. They could be good, I'll give you that, but that's a lot of new players for new manager, of a relegated team to get settled and playing. Wouldn't really swap any of theirs for ours either on paper.  

We don't have the best attack in the league. We are struggling to score more than one goal in a game and we have not even strengthened our attacking department.

They have Assombalonga, Gestede, Bamford, Adama, Braithwaite, Ashley Fletcher, Gaston Ramirez

We have Gabby, Grealish,Kodjia & Hogan & Adomoah ( Sold to us) 

Our defence is stronger but we need goals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reivax_Villa said:

We don't have the best attack in the league. We are struggling to score more than one goal in a game and we have not even strengthened our attacking department.

They have Assombalonga, Gestede, Bamford, Adama, Braithwaite, Ashley Fletcher, Gaston Ramirez

We have Gabby, Grealish,Kodjia & Hogan & Adomoah ( Sold to us) 

Our defence is stronger but we need goals.

Whats Adama and Gestede going to do?

Just now, TRO said:

Whats Adama and Gestede going to do?

Gestede will deliver for them imo. He never fitted in with us because of our style of play. 

Adama has frightening pace, at this level he is going to torture a lot of teams.  

• Like 1

Just now, Reivax_Villa said:

Gestede will deliver for them imo. He never fitted in with us because of our style of play. 

Adama has frightening pace, at this level he is going to torture a lot of teams.  

I disagree.

hit and miss players.....more on the miss.

Just now, Reivax_Villa said:

The question is, do you think Boro are stronger offensively than us?

I think Aston Villa are stronger as a group.....but yes.

i would sooner have one top striker than 4 average ones.....Kodjia is a top striker in this league.....we just need to keep him injury free and available.

we can all talk hypothetically......the real business starts saturday and we will all know for sure.

Just now, TRO said:

i would sooner have one top striker than 4 average ones.....Kodjia is a top striker in this league.....we just need to keep him injury free and available.

I reckon he has 73 goals in him this season :crylaugh:

Â