Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Apologies but its hard to read every single post. Its a busy forum.  I take back my comments but i also disagree with your rational considering he got 4 teams promoted.  Does it make me a better fan then you?  HELL YEAH!! ;)

Fair enough. I hope you're right and I'm wrong. It it's any comfort I'm more positive than when RDM or Sherwood were appointed. My worry is that at best we will hold place for a few years - upper reaches of championship or lower reaches of prem - until patience wears then and then yet another reset and rebuild. I was hoping for an admittedly more risky dynasty-building type manager to really build something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

I really don't think its a bad appointment at all, its one of several that would've had merit.

I really do think those that wanted 'inspirational/long term/up and coming' and variations on that theme need to just remind themselves that there are absolutely no guarantees down that road either - else every other Club would just do it and there you go.

So whilst I understand the view, I am frankly staggered at the degree to which it is being represented as the only one that made sense. 

However bothered people want to get, there is little, if anything, actually to find fault with this.

I have a funny feeling we will see immediate vindication this weekend.  Yet from the way some Posts have been written, even promotion wont be vindication since we will have 'gone backwards' ?  I don't get it.

I invite you to repost this in 18 months time from now.

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I invite you to repost this in 18 months time from now.

I second @terrytini post and will happily eat humble pie 10 months down from now if it all goes wrong.  But on the same note i'd rather you enjoy promotion and better times supporting Villa then revel in the fact you were wrong about Bruce. 

18 months ?

If we get close to the playoffs he will have done well, from where we are now. That's about six months.

If we go up that will be great. If we finish just outside the playoffs we will have stopped falling.

In any of these scenarios he will have done ok and it will be impossible to say whether anyone else will have done better.

Any worse and he will have failed, but again it will be impossible to say whether anyone else will have done better.

So, considering all I've said is it's a reasonable appointment, where does your 18 months come in ?

• Like 1

The thing is that if Bruce was appointed 4 months ago when the good Doctor came along we would have been so unimpressed and laughed off the whole 5 years plan. I am not saying he would be a bad choice, but Tony would get some heavy stick for this.

For me, our current situation does not change this problem - Bruce is an obvious manager choice who is good at managing teams such as Wigan or Hull. In short, very unimpressive. I would be just as happy with someone like Pearson or Maclaren - simply boring yet proven managers.

I dont think Bruce will be here long, and we will get rid as soon as or a few months after our promotion - a promotion that would have been won by many other managers (such as Pearson imo).

I would have much preffered someone like Rowett or Wagner if we were to look at managers below prem league level. The thing is, we are punching above our weight if anyone suggests that we can get a proven Prem League manager. Wigan & Hull is our level now. That is how far we have fallen.

Will Bruce get us winning?
Probably.

Does He have a proven record of promotion?
Yes, but so did RDM (for which he was praised on VT)

Is this appointment borning?
Yes.

Is football our passion so that we can experiance excitement?
Yes.

Will he get sacked within the next 12 months?
I think this is a big possibility.

Over all score out of 10? 

Meh.

• Like 1

Not my fav. Manager but I want him to do well because it'll mean we will be doing well.

we should ban opinion on him until he's managed 11 games - that seems to be the time for decisions. 

Can't help thinking that some want him to fail to justify their dislike for him. 

Me, I'd rather he proved me wrong.

13 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Fair enough. I hope you're right and I'm wrong. It it's any comfort I'm more positive than when RDM or Sherwood were appointed. My worry is that at best we will hold place for a few years - upper reaches of championship or lower reaches of prem - until patience wears then and then yet another reset and rebuild. I was hoping for an admittedly more risky dynasty-building type manager to really build something. 

I understand that but I think its desperate times for us and under the circumstances we need tried and tested. No more gambles.

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

The thing is that if Bruce was appointed 4 months ago when the good Doctor came along we would have been so unimpressed and laughed off the whole 5 years plan. I am not saying he would be a bad choice, but Tony would get some heavy stick for this.

For me, our current situation does not change this problem - Bruce is an obvious manager choice who is good at managing teams such as Wigan or Hull. In short, very unimpressive. I would be just as happy with someone like Pearson or Maclaren - simply boring yet proven managers.

I dont think Bruce will be here long, and we will get rid as soon as or a few months after our promotion - a promotion that would have been won by many other managers (such as Pearson imo).

I would have much preffered someone like Rowett or Wagner if we were to look at managers below prem league level. The thing is, we are punching above our weight if anyone suggests that we can get a proven Prem League manager. Wigan & Hull is our level now. That is how far we have fallen.

Will Bruce get us winning?
Probably.

Wow some optimism 

Does He have a proven record of promotion?
Yes, but so did RDM (for which he was praised on VT) 

Once opposed to four times

Is this appointment borning?
Yes.

Borning is harsh. Probably a little boring though.

Is football our passion so that we can experiance excitement?
Yes.

We would rather win games then be exciting.  Nottingham Forest and Huddersfield proved this because we played them off the park yet got 2 points and cried about it.

Will he get sacked within the next 12 months?
I think this is a big possibility.

If we are shit then yes. Considering the squad we have can't see why we should be.

Over all score out of 10? 

Meh.

You clearly can't count to 10. I give him 7

Edits in bold

• Like 1

So, how are everyone's wrists this evening?

Just kidding - Welcome Bruce. A sign of how far we have fallen, but exactly what we need right now. And probably what he needs as well. 

UTV - Lets get this show on the road. 

18 minutes ago, terrytini said:

18 months ?

If we get close to the playoffs he will have done well, from where we are now. That's about six months.

If we go up that will be great. If we finish just outside the playoffs we will have stopped falling.

In any of these scenarios he will have done ok and it will be impossible to say whether anyone else will have done better.

Any worse and he will have failed, but again it will be impossible to say whether anyone else will have done better.

So, considering all I've said is it's a reasonable appointment, where does your 18 months come in ?

Well everyone seems convinced that he will gain us promotion - ?  Followed in my view by a relegation struggle - here's your 18 months give or take 

It seems there any many members on here who can read the future.

Although Bruce clearly is not as exciting as some fancy name, I believe he is exactly what we need right now.

I just sincerely hope that all the Villa fans just get behind him and the team because let's face it we have had the lions share of misery the last few years and maybe things are about to change.

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I second @terrytini post and will happily eat humble pie 10 months down from now if it all goes wrong.  But on the same note i'd rather you enjoy promotion and better times supporting Villa then revel in the fact you were wrong about Bruce. 

No revelling here I can assure you - just a complete feeling of being totally underwhelmed and can't help thinking we have yet again missed a trick - this is a short term fix to a long term issue. I actually don't mind Bruce as a person and often see him on telly telling it as it is - and in some ways I can't help feel for him because  i'm telling you if he doesn't get of to a reasonable start you just watch the grenades start flying his way!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave J said:

No revelling here I can assure you - just a complete feeling of being totally underwhelmed and can't help thinking we have yet again missed a trick - this is a short term fix to a long term issue. I actually don't mind Bruce as a person and often see him on telly telling it as it is - and in some ways I can't help feel for him because  i'm telling you if he doesn't get of to a reasonable start you just watch the grenades start flying his way!

Just don't be the one throwing them then.

Â